Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Re: Big changes coming to the Haunted Mansion...

Quote Originally Posted by Anders
    ok, seriously, what is this well laid out story of PotC? Pirates rampaging through the town looking for treasure? I've seen people talk about the easy to follow story of PotC before and to me it's no different than the Mansion in terms of no story. Maybe I'm just really slow, but to me in it's current state there isn't a well known story to PotC.
    You're kidding, right?
    Once you enter the show building where the pirates ship is anchored it is basically laid out scene by scene... the pirates sailing into the seaside town, the hand-to-hand combat (in the tower) to take over the town, the capture of the mayor, the auction of the captive women, the plundering of the town, the subsequent partying by the pirates, the burning of the town after the pirates are through with their dirty work... it's all there.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• Original Mice-Chatter

not everyone sees it the same way- clearly, since we have some people planning a funeral and dirge with black arm bands and floral arrangement for POTC- and others who see no problem with it at all- POTC who?

I'm surprised that no one is planning a memorial for HM- maybe because it would be redundant?

There's definitely more of a narrative in POTC than in the HM. What they're doing in the former is rewriting an established narrative by replacing characters, while in the Mansion they're creative a narrative in existing show rooms through props and special effects. That's my understanding of it, anyway. I can't say I approve of what they're doing to Pirates, and we'll find out in time if it was the right decision, but at least what they're doing in the Mansion isn't as drastic.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

In my opinion, both the Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean are very vague in any storylines they may or may not have. A lot of storylines have been discussed by fans regarding Pirates of the Caribbean, the most prominent being that Lafitte (the old sleeping man on the Blue Bayou) is dreaming of his days as a Pirate. Needless to say, I hardly think the majority of riders are aware of any storyline, as the one that Pirates has is so subtle.

The Haunted Mansion on the otherhand has a variety of different storylines that fans have come up with. Lores and myths regarding the ride are abundant and whats funny is the true official storyline of the attraction is non-existant. The attraction, in its planning and development stages, went through numerous story treatments but none of them stuck. There may be remnants or nods to abandoned treatments still in the attraction (the pirate ship weather vane, for instance), but the attraction as it is known to us has no storyline.

I'm puzzled as to why this is a difficult concept to grasp for a lot of fans. Maybe they've become attached to stories they've read, heard, or come up with on their own, but when you boil it down, the Haunted Mansion is just a retirement home to its 999 happy haunts - none of them really connected at all...

I like what I hear regarding these new changes from Al. They sound really interesting, and if done as well as the Leota effect and the Hallway to Limbo lightning, then I'm all for it. I am a bit concerned that a storyline is being added. With a new storyline in the attic, what happens to the rest of the attraction? Nothing else will make sense and seem out of place. The genius of the attraction was that nothing was interconnected and nothing made sense, but it was so intriguing and entertaining that it didn't matter. Now, once you reach the attic, there's going to be an obvious chunk of storyline which will throw off the rest of the ride experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by a_hyperbole
    Poor MasterGracey (the MC'er).... his name will be obsolete!!!!
    Nah. Master Gracey will always be around - otherwise we wouldn't have a ghost host to guide our tour! Thanks for the concern though

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• oh bugger

While my imagination might of created a storyline of my own for the Haunted Mansion, Pirates does have a story to tell.

If you listen to the voice in the caves just after the treasure you can hear the story being laid out. Cursed treasure and now a pack of pilliging pirates is sacking a spanish port to find out 'where it be hidden' From dunking the mayor to burning down the city, the pirates are not just doing what they do best, they are after the cursed treasure you see in the beginning. I guess a little imagination and creativity fills in any gaps that might take place, but really it does have a story.

• Sector Two Droid Repair

The new bride idea sounds better than an Eddie Murphy AA. Personally, I would rather have online ghost avatars roaming the halls of the Mansion under our control.
    This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
    Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by jurgenb52
    While my imagination might of created a storyline of my own for the Haunted Mansion, Pirates does have a story to tell.

If you listen to the voice in the caves just after the treasure you can hear the story being laid out. Cursed treasure and now a pack of pilliging pirates is sacking a spanish port to find out 'where it be hidden' From dunking the mayor to burning down the city, the pirates are not just doing what they do best, they are after the cursed treasure you see in the beginning. I guess a little imagination and creativity fills in any gaps that might take place, but really it does have a story.
    I agree that Pirates of the Caribbean does have a storyline, however, I feel it is subtle to the extent that the majority of casual Disneylanders, first time guests, and tourists may not pick up on it right away or at all.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Up is Down

all I can say is bring it on this sounds great my brother has always been scared of the bride and he still is at 17 now it will be worse!!!!!!!!!!! Mwhahahahahahaha!
    The earth is round.... or so i've found.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aerinpegadrak
    Perhaps, but not on the same level. You don't see the pirate captain on every single piece of PotC merchandise, after all. And as for replacing them with rappers... you're just being alarmist and silly. There's absolutely no foundation for that sort of update. I call straw man on that one.
    I was being facetious...AND silly, but I would never have believed we would lose the pirate captain. To me, he was the most iconic figure of POTC. I'm sure we won't lose the hitchhiking ghosts to rappers, but after the POTC makeover, nothing is "sacred."

• Part of Your World

I feel like such a loser because the bride kinda scares me now. With a bloody axe, I will be peeing my pants!

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Quote Originally Posted by EmilyStrange
    With a bloody axe, I will be peeing my pants!
    And then the ride will close while they clean it, inconveniencing ALL OF US!
    j/k
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

All this change to the mansion seems worthy. I'm a HUGE fan of the HM, and I was VERY sceptic of what was to become of my favorite attraction. Adding an official story to the mansion is okay with me (To and extent) The new effects are great. I agree that it needs to be updated. I mean the mansion to me, is a giant showcase of disney effects. It was a huge leap forward in 1969. Let's do it again, but don't loose sight of it's original grandger though. I'm really excited to see the Hitch Hiking Ghosts full out, and completely animated. They deserve it. The bride becomeing an "Axe Murderer" is okay too, as long as the effects are as good as to us today as they were to our parents in 69. The ONLY down side I see to the mansion with all these changes is that the Ghost Host is going to be left out. The reason the Gracey story was such a lasting story was because it involved the whole cast of the mansion. By handing the mansion over to the bride your leaving the Ghost Host with information about the mansion that doesn't make sence. Like... Why would he be the one to give you a tour of the mansion if he's not the owner? He acts like he own's the place too. He's confident with what he's doing. What do you think?

does this make scence?

We are experencing a big change. Something like this won't be happening again for another 30 years, and we were here to wittness it. Our kids will grow up knowing these changes. So when the next changes are being made to the mansion they will be in our same shoes. Watching helplessly as there favorite attraction changes before there eyes. I am really putting all of my faith in John and Iger hopeing that they made the right choice.

(Crossing my fingers)

The good thing about the film, as well as the Paris version of the attraction, is that the plot of each is more of a love story.

A suicide that results from a murder is operatic.

Thus, the bride should not be cast as a villain, and neither should Master Gracey, for that matter.

The backstory of the film actually appealed to me in that the bride is poisoned because she, ostensibly, is not fully white. And, then, Master Gracey kills himself once he thinks she has committed suicide.

• Minion

From the sound of the Bride in the new story, I'd give her a katana, not an axe. Oh! And there has to be cool fight scenes like in the ballroom or graveyard!
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast