Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Big changes coming to the Haunted Mansion...

Note: I am posting this thread here since it is a Disneyland issue.

Big changes are in store for the Haunted Mansion per Al Lutz's Miceage column, seen here: http://www.miceage.com/allutz/al022806a.htm

In the séance scene, some of the cornier special effects created in the '60s will be replaced with more modern effects. As Madame Leota continues her eternal incantations, ghostly apparitions will fade in and out as if they were struggling to cross over from the spirit world by Madame Leota's invitation. Those faces will become more important later in the ride, as they'll show up again.
    The biggest changes will be coming to the attic scene, as that's where the new plotline will be most evident. As it is now, the attic scene is simply a cluttered and dusty place with a ghost inexplicably dressed like a bride with that spooky beating heart. But when the additions are all installed, the bride will become a much more sinister character who has apparently been killing off all of her previous husbands. As the doombuggies pass through the attic, riders will see portraits of several dashing young gentlemen, with each portrait piled next to "the loot" that the man brought in to the marriage.
    Those portraits will look familiar as they'll be the same faces that were just beginning to appear in ghost form back in the séance circle. But a new special effect will allow the heads of these gentleman to suddenly disappear from the portrait, as if they had been decapitated in a grisly murder . And when riders arrive at the exit of the attic scene, the bride will still be there, this time in a new location and clutching a bouquet of wedding flowers that magically turns into a blood stained axe as each vehicle passes by. Fans of the Haunted Mansion will instantly realize how this alters the attraction, as it is now implied that the house belongs to this bride and she has been luring rich husband after husband who meet a headless demise shortly after they take their vows. The entire backstory of "Master Gracey" and his lovely young bride that became so popular in the last 10 years, mostly via the Internet, will be rendered obsolete.
    More changes are still to come at the end of the ride, but these are likely to be far less controversial. The iconic "Hitch Hiking Ghosts" who appear in your doom buggy via those magic mirrors will make the jump to the 21st century. Instead of the extremely simple figures that barely nod their head as they appear in your car because they are literally mannequins on sticks attached to a turntable behind the two-way mirrors, more advanced and animated figures will now join you. They'll be able to move their arms and hands and really be expressive as they appear to interact with you in the vehicle. The hope is that this remake of the final scene of the ride will leave people asking "How did they do that?!" in the same way people do when they currently leave the clever Turtle Talk show at DCA. This is all part of Bob Iger's stated desire to use the latest technology to improve Disney's classic storytelling, and that's why the funding didn't get approved fast enough to install these changes before the ride reopens next week. But by the busy Easter Vacation period, these additions should all be installed and switched on.
    Personally, I am quite happy to here about the changes (dare I say, improvements?). I think it will be exciting to have some changes and (finally) a plotline, something the original Imagineers, Marc Davis and Claude Coates specifically, could not agree on.
    Something always rubbed me wrong about the way the original HM progressed in a disjointed series of events, whereas, Pirates of the Caribbean had a plotline that was quite easy to follow. The HM was truly a testament to what could happen to an attraction without Walt Disneys leadership. Hopefully, the new HM will try to "connect the dots" for a more enjoyable attraction.
    Okaaaaaaaay, that's it... bring on the howls and cries of heresy!
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Forum Sommelier

Re: Big changes coming to the Haunted Mansion...

You're happy to hear about it!!!!! I mean really.... Just kidding, it sounds fun to me too.
    Mike

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

Drool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Artsy Fartsy

I feel that any new tech upgrade are always welcomed to me. I have to say I do enjoy the Master Gracey story, if you can call it that. But I'm sure that things will flow a little smoother. Again any new technology sounds cool.

[IMG]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/iz6m4v8ubq0103m8.png[/IMG]

• I'm your huckleberry.

I think it sounds great! I'll be really interested to see how the new special effects look! I never really cared for the bride in the attic, but now it sounds like she'll have a purpose for being there. And I love the "black widow" twist to the storyline!

All in all it sounds like a great set of updates!

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• Just this guy......

Quote Originally Posted by a_hyperbole
    I think it sounds great! I'll be really interested to see how the new special effects look! I never really cared for the bride in the attic, but now it sounds like she'll have a purpose for being there. And I love the "black widow" twist to the storyline!
    Black Widow is the name for it.... 999 ghosts, man has she been busy

• oh bugger

How will the Master Gracey plot change? For those that know of it anyway, how will the opening stretching room affect the storyline? That seemed to always be such a key component of the plot, but if it is now the 'brides' mansion who is killing people off, will they have to change the opening? Will people who then 'get' the story assume he hung himself for fear of this murderous bride? Or will something change to incorporate the new story details other places in the attraction?

Off topic a bit, but that is what bugged me the most about the Haunted Mansion film, it made light of a pretty dark story. I always thought the mansions story was so dark and could be made into a pretty spooky and convincing film.

Does anyone else see the irony in that they are making POC's story more like the movie and Haunted Mansion's story a lot less like the movie.

• Original Mice-Chatter

That sounds COOL! When??

found when- very cool. Very Very COOL!!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by jgmklmhem
    Does anyone else see the irony in that they are making POC's story more like the movie and Haunted Mansion's story a lot less like the movie.
    Took the words right outta my mouth. Concerning the Gracey storyline, not once in the entire attraction does the host call himself the master of the mansion. Maybe he was a servant who watched all these men be murdered and could live with the guilt? There is a million different way s they could go with it, I'm just glad they're doing something.

• I'm your huckleberry.

Poor MasterGracey (the MC'er).... his name will be obsolete!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dirton
    Took the words right outta my mouth. Concerning the Gracey storyline, not once in the entire attraction does the host call himself the master of the mansion. Maybe he was a servant who watched all these men be murdered and could live with the guilt? There is a million different way s they could go with it, I'm just glad they're doing something.
    I think that they should keep WDW's HM with the Gracey Manor storyline. Disneyland should have its own unique storyline with its own unique characters and effects.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by Dirton
    Concerning the Gracey storyline, not once in the entire attraction does the host call himself the master of the mansion. Maybe he was a servant who watched all these men be murdered and could live with the guilt?
    Yeah but that he is the master is the implication. Your Host of a House is always the master, especially when you are esteemed guests.
    It'll be interesting. I'm not fearing these like PoTC's changes though. I'm just not excited. The death and gore is all good...just making the Bride the focus pushes out Leota and Gracey storylines...making thier charecter's appearances even more confusing. So it basically stays the same because it messes up what it fixes.
    I like the plusses to the Hitchikers...I guess I like "plusses" more than "changes".

• Basking in birthday love

I'm curious to see what the Haunted Mansion comics do with the change in the storyline, especially since both existing issues have featured a part of Master Gracey's story. (This underscores the fact that I'm dying to see the rest of them and I want them to come out nownownow.)

And I'm working 10 hours on the day that Mansion reopens, so I have to either get there REALLY early that day or wait. Curses.

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

• Banned User

now am jealous. Hope we get upgrades in florida. I saw the madam leota upgrade last july and it was awsome. not sure about the ax that does seem a bit creepy to me. but the rest seems fun... looking forward to what comes next.

Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast