View Poll Results: Do you think "cross utilization" training will impact the CM's willingness to strike?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

12 22.22%
  • No

35 64.81%
  • Undecided

7 12.96%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Do you think "Cross Utilization" training will impact the CM's willingness to strike?

After reading the following from Al Lutz's current update: http://www.miceage.com/allutz/al022806a.htm I started thinking about whether this "cross-utilization" training is going to have an effect on the current CM's willingness to strike. From reading the update, it is obvious that some of the TDA execs are having a difficult time adjusting to actually working inside of Disneyland, but with more that 3 weeks left before a strike could even occur, they should be able to work out the bugs and have a backup crew ready to go.
    Do you think the "cross-utilization" training will impact the CM's willingness to strike?
    TDA has responded by deploying most of the salaried Cast Members in that building to be trained on the attractions in anticipation of a possible strike in March. Dubbed "Cross-Utilization" by Senior Vice President Greg Emmer, or "Cross-U" for short, this current round of salaried cross training is the most massive strike preparation plan Disneyland has ever undergone. The unfortunate thing however is that some of these salaried folks don't seem to be cut out to operate the attractions, and during the massive training of the past several weeks these trainees keep breaking down the rides they are supposedly competent enough to operate. That is, if the Cross-U Cast Members show up for their scheduled training at all, as there are still some of these TDA folks who are literally scared of the Park, or simply feel it is beneath them to go work in a theme park. There honestly is still that touch of attitude leftover from the Cynthia era inside TDA, and this latest round of Cross-U training has clearly exposed it.
    While there are still plenty of folks in TDA who began their Disney career out in the park and simply needed a refresher course on the ride they used to work at in their old college days, there are just as many salaried folks back in TDA who were hired during the Pressler and Harriss era from outside Disney and don't have any previous Disneyland experience to draw from. It seems to be that type of TDA dweller who are causing most of the problems and breakdowns at the rides in the last few weeks, although at least they are trying instead of hiding out in their cubicle.
    In the last two weeks Indiana Jones, Matterhorn Bobsleds and Space Mountain are part of the growing list of attractions that have all had breakdowns or major problems caused by the Cross-U folks. Because of this, some of the TDA dwellers who do show up for the first day of their training begin to panic and feel overwhelmed, and they either don't show up for the second day or they fess up and beg out of the assignment half way through. That nineteen-year-old kids earning less than eight dollars an hour routinely perform these same duties on the rides, and often do it with grace and style during busy Saturdays instead of quiet winter weekdays, doesn't seem to register with some of these folks. So in the weeks ahead if you see a Cast Member who looks just a bit older but not necessarily wiser being trained on a ride at Disneyland, try and go easy on them. They're a long way from their office and they may be very scared.
    Needless to say, all of this Cross-U excitement is causing a great deal of fodder for jokes amongst the hourly Attractions Cast Members. While we've heard reports from TDA Cross-U participants that are amazed at how warmly and graciously they've been accepted by the hourly Cast Members out in the park during their training, many of whom are happy to share their pride in working at Disneyland with people from TDA, you can bet that the antics and breakdowns caused by these TDA folks are fueling plenty of snickers and laughs from the real Attractions CM's after work. Simultaneously however, the hourly CM's are thrilled to hear stories of the "old days" from some of the Cross-U participants who worked on the same attraction 15 or 20 years ago when the current CM's were still in diapers.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Re: Do you think "Cross Utilization" training will impact the CM's willingness to strike?

No. Especially since many of the "suits" are having trouble with the shifts it'll help CMs know if they do strike Emmer and Ouimet will realize how much they need them back.

• I'm your huckleberry.

Re: Do you think "Cross Utilization" training will impact the CM's willingness to strike?

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb
    No. Especially since many of the "suits" are having trouble with the shifts it'll help CMs know if they do strike Emmer and Ouimet will realize how much they need them back.
    Funny, I also voted no, but for a completely different reason!!!

I don't think it will have an impact, because if the Union asks the CM's to strike, I'm sure they'll do it.

And once the kinks are worked out, these replacements will do the job just as well as the regular CM's.... possibly better than some of them. They'll be keeping their regular salaries right? I'm guessing someone making decent money will be a more motivated employee than a teenager making $6 an hour.

I'm hoping things will go so well with the replacements that TDA will realize that to get quality, stable, low-turnover employees, they have to start paying a better salary. Then we'll get the type of CM's that we had 20 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

I wonder if mixing TDA execs (management) with hourly CM's(labor, many of whom don't have the savvy to understand how devastating a complete walkout could have) gives management an opportunuity to get with the hourly CM's on a one-on-one basis, in order to let these CM's know that they don't have to strike, i.e. "It's okay to cross the picket line if you need to work..."
    Hmmmmmmmmm?
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

I also voted no, the union's goal is to get what they want. They should be focued on negotiations rather than the possibility of replacements. I'm sure the union knows that cross-u, will only make a dent in the replacement workforce.

In the world of Air Traffic Control the union (NATCA) has a massive campaing against the privitization of air traffic control facilities to the lowest bidder. They say that the flying public's safety is at risk. I'm sure if the CM union wanted to get nasty they could do the same thing, saying that replacement CMs are undertrained and the public's safety is at risk.

Quote Originally Posted by joEticket
    In the world of Air Traffic Control the union (NATCA) has a massive campaing against the privitization of air traffic control facilities to the lowest bidder. They say that the flying public's safety is at risk. I'm sure if the CM union wanted to get nasty they could do the same thing, saying that replacement CMs are undertrained and the public's safety is at risk.
    Are you taliking about the NATCA's strike of 1981? Weren't they all fired by President Reagan?
    And the argument of CM's trying to frighten guests by explaining that although they have worked at the Park for all of 8 months, that the guests are in danger because the replacement CM's are seasoned veterans that worked their way up to a management position, doesn't really hold water.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

•   
    • Minion

It just means that Management can hold out for a longer time before they go crazy because they are dealing with the public again...
    Check out my other blog:

Re: Do you think "Cross Utilization" training will impact the CM's willingness to str

No. Even if the TDA's are awesome and better than CMs- there just aren't enough of them to cover all of Attractions, Store Operations, Custodial, and Candy Making positions.
    The Next Big Disney Thing: starts Jan. 3rd

• Disneyland Nomad

My ex- lead told me to be a "scrum"....What's a "scrum"?.....and right. TDA people won't cover enough positions.

• Cast Member

I think it's just too big a segment of the workforce to consider TDA capable of running things properly and effectively.

This whole thing isn't about Attractions, there are other departments too, which is why it's a big deal if you ask me.

Bye.

• Give Peace a Chance

I voted no ~ I do not think it will deter a strike if it is going to happen it will. Nor do I believe that all management will do a better job at the various other positions, mainly because some are going to feel resentful that they are now being told to do a task that they have looked down upon previously.
    Though after a few days of seeing how hard it is, when the shoe is on the other foot, and what the CM's often have to deal with, may help them to understand that increased salaries and benefits are indeed called for.
    ~ MickeysGirl ºoº
    ~ Gotta Love the Mouse! ºoº

• Vehicle rotating backward

Re: Do you think "Cross Utilization" training will impact the CM's willingness to str

Quote Originally Posted by mrmainstreet
    No. Even if the TDA's are awesome and better than CMs- there just aren't enough of them to cover all of Attractions, Store Operations, Custodial, and Candy Making positions.
    It's only the Attractions Operator union that's thinking of striking. Foods and other stuff have their own organizations.

I don't think it will stop the union bigwigs, and I still don't think current CMs really care for this all that much. Especially since it involves future hires and not them.

• Feel the breeze!

Quote Originally Posted by karebear286
    My ex- lead told me to be a "scrum"....What's a "scrum"?.....and right. TDA people won't cover enough positions.
    Did he mean a "scab"?

• Rock Star Minion

I think everyone at TDA should work a day's shift in DL or DCA once every two weeks or so. I mean, that is the product that pays the bills there, right? What better way to know the product than to work there for a shift every so often?
    Sure, the logistics are a bit awkward, as perceived or real hierarchy might be contradicted in some ways.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    It's only the Attractions Operator union that's thinking of striking. Foods and other stuff have their own organizations.

I don't think it will stop the union bigwigs, and I still don't think current CMs really care for this all that much. Especially since it involves future hires and not them.

The Master service agrement is for Attractions Stores Custodial and the Candy makers not just attractions. They are not just Cross U Training TDA people its also Mangers From Foods and hotels its also CMs from the Hotels because they are non union Guest Relations is also non union and likewise with the the Charaters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast