Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What will the new nightime show at DCA be like?

So after reading the latest article on MiceAge, there is word of a new nighttime show at DCA on the lagoon, is there any idea what the theme is and will it keep people in? Are there any ideas of what it should be...

• Rock Star Minion

Re: What will the new nightime show at DCA be like?

I'm guessing it won't keep people in. I'm guessing it will be scheduled to start when the park closes.
    Another thing: what will be happening at DL? I mean if guests are going to have a choice, then it had better be equal to, or better than, whatever is going on in DL. If night-time shows are going to play on alternate nights, then expect to see a large crowd flooding the exit (DL) and entrance (DCA) gates in order to see this new show, then a reverse flood back to DL afterward.
    Maybe it's in keeping with the California theme to create traffic jams where none previously existed? If so, then that's pretty clever. (If not, then I'm pretty clever.)

It really brings home the importance of space in between theme parks. At WDW, you plan your night around which nighttime show you want to see. Here at DLr, you can whimsically decide what to do, and simply walk. Downside is if everyone is thinking the same thing.

Last thing: in order to be "successful," a new show will have to draw in paying guests. Unless, of course the objective is to get guests out of DL for an hour or two.

After the last thing: I suppose it wouldn't be too much to ask to start planning versions #2 and #3 for this planned show? We won't likely come back if it's the same show.

Late Night with the Last Thing: Some hotel rooms will have free access to this show? Good planning to have the hotels overlook the parks. Brilliant! {Clink!}
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Banned User

Maybe It will be Illumifornia.... (he he) Use lots of lighting, lazers, projectors.. and a little fireworks.. dont forget the barge which is for Fire.... (lol)

the problem though, where would they store / maintain some of the things.. at epcot they have acanal that goes backstage... DCA doesn't have this i believe... (Budget cut?)

• The one, the only...

sediment said it well, there are "issues" that need to be addressed.

My concern when I read the article is the motivation. Instead of wanting to make a wonderful show for guests to enjoy, it is simply a crowd control mechanism. I tell you that the place you begin affects where you end up. To really created a wonderful show, you cannot keep thinking how little do you have to do to achieve the goal.

I really do want a fantastic show for DCA. I think to do this in that space it will take a lot of creativity. I know it can be done right. Yet, I have some doubts right now.

I would say one thing they need to do to get people in the park instead of the hotels is to use music in the nighttime show at the park. The show needs a great theme song to go with the show. That will pull them from the hotel into the park. Look at the MSEP, it has a theme that excites, gets your toes tapping, and feels unique. It can be done.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

Luminaria had a great soundtrack, horrible pyro.. but overall pretty well!
    Current DL Entertainment Technical Services

Former DCA Attractions CM

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Have it be the lights of Paradise Pier plus the Electrical Parade plus an ode to the electrical parade the way the current DL fireworks show pays homage. With fantastic multicolor fireworks, going off the top of "Screamin" along with lasers and so forth. That way it has an immediate nostalgic draw... "Disney's Electrical Extravaganza".

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

(Have the parade going round simultaneously with the show)

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Fantasmic_Freak
    Luminaria had a great soundtrack
    Are you kidding? If I remember correctly (it's hard to, because it was forgettable) it was some la-la Christmas woman singing about candle glow.

Anyway, I must back up JiminyCricketFan's concern for the motivation behind making this nighttime show in Paradise Bay. My hope is that the show will be handled with similar devotion to good show (and producing similar results) as the Matterhorn project. Originally, Walt wanted something to cover up the ugly center support tower of the Skyway, so he build the Matterhorn. However the Bobsleds was so masterfully and creatively handled that it stands on its own today, long after the Skyway is gone. Nobody looks at the Matterhorn and says "The only thing the Matterhorn was ever good for was to hide the Skyway tower because it was ugly." My hope is that Disney creates a spectacular that will give DCA a good name, and won't send the message that "The only thing this show is good for is to keep people away from Disneyland's firework show."

• șoș Tom șoș

I have to point out in argument to JiminyCricketFan's post that the motivation to maintain crowd control also spawned an excellent and surprising nightly visual feast during the holidays on the facade of IASW.

If that same kind of technique could be applied to the water, to the area, to the rides behind the PP, if they can add a plot and actual performers themed to Disney on a stage with pryotechnics, lasers and fountains galore, well I have faith that well it might not compare to Fantasmic it may stand on its own as an experiance worth being in DCA and avoiding crowds and still be rather enjoyable and repeatable.

• pronounced, Casey Jr. 1

Quote Originally Posted by Fantasmic_Freak
    Luminaria had a great soundtrack, horrible pyro.. but overall pretty well!
    yeah, i remember that. I recorded it on my video camera, and I was like, what the hey! it ended being all smoke and music. To top it off, it was the first show, I'm guessing, cause Mr. Roy Disney was there and others watching it. I felt so bad

• Disney Nazi

I agree that it may just be a push to get the punters into DCA and for crowd control.

I would love to see something that thrilled me as much as my first few viewings of Fantasmic ( okay so i still get goosebumps at certin bits ). But no lame *** stunt shows or fireworks it has to be something truly special.

They should look to Japan for ideas ... they should also keep the Electrical light parade going cause lets face it , it is still a favourite.
    "Lies make baby Jesus cry!"

• ...TWO BITS!

Quote Originally Posted by figment1986
    Use lots of lighting, lazers, projectors.. and a little fireworks.. dont forget the barge which is for Fire.... (lol)

the problem though, where would they store / maintain some of the things.. at epcot they have acanal that goes backstage... DCA doesn't have this i believe... (Budget cut?)
    My thoughts exactly with lighting, lasers, projectors, fog/misters, fire, water jets, and fireworks. Fireworks would have to be at the climax of course to tone down the amount of smoke. They could probably use those sparkler spinners things used in Fantasmic.

A colorful Belligo-type show. Most people think of that anyways. And to spice it up, have small boats circle around the lagoon for a bit with Disney characters. I was also thinking if DCA built 1, 2, or 3 lighthouses, those lighthouses could be part of the show...

As for storage/maintainence issues. I always thought the area behind the Ariel's Grotto restaurant and under the pier where the wave machines are would do nicely.

For daytime, maybe have water ski-ers, jet skis, and other stuff like that in the lagoon to entertain crowds. Maybe the story is there are 2-3 teams of water atheletes. The crowd cheers on who they would like to win. Different winner every time. With ramps, they could be submersible I suppose...

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• All you need is LOVE

I just hope that its a good show that we can enjoy

• Banned User

I have a great sub title for it..

Caluminations: Light Magic!

(Then they could say light magic wasn't a huge failure!!... lol)

(who has luminaria music.. I lost my MP3 when the HD crashed..)

• Needs the smell of summer

if it keeps people in DCA one out of three days, I think they've done there job.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast