Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• I'm your huckleberry.

New Clue: Possible Star Tours Update!

I just got a call from my good friend and fellow MC'er Mechavalon. He and his daughter just rode Star Tours, and noticed that Bay 2 was closed. In front of the bay was a sign stating "Closed for Testing"!!!!!

Unfortunately, his digital camera wasn't working, so I don't have pictures to share.

I know I've never seen a "Closed for Testing" sign at any attraction before, so to me this sounds like an exciting sign that the predicted LucasFlim update may finally be in the works!!!!

What do you guys think?!?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Re: New Clue: Possible Star Tours Update!

Naw, I'm pretty sure all new ride vehicles will be used, or maybe a whole new ride concept. We could all ride a la Soarin in moving seats, in a spaceship... if the walls around Soarin resembled the Millennium Falcon and the layout was like that of the ship, they could make it seem like you were really SOARIN through Space.

But I have to ask, if they're going to gut the current ride system, what were they testing in there?

Assuming something really was being tested

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

They probably were cleaning up vomit.... and don't post the real reason.

• I'm your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer
    They probably were cleaning up vomit.... and don't post the real reason.
    Unlikely... they have had bays closed for stuff like that all the time, but don't put up "testing" signs.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• Banned User

This sounds like a good clue to me! No one ever said they were gonna change the ride system itself! Though i would perfer a Star Wars thrill ride! kinda like Space Mountain!

• The one, the only...

I know the change that is needed for that ride. Now first I want to say I love the ride, even today. I do think it needs a new story. That is easy. It might also need new AA's. That is relatively easy, but I think that is not enough.

Since Star Tours opened, many simulator rides have opened around the country (and even at other Disney parks.).

I just feel that there needs to be something new that takes the ride to the next level.

My suggestion is to make it a 3D ride. Use 3D goggles and have aliens enter the vessel. Make holograms appear when communicating with other ships. Stir things up. I love the battle sections of the ride. Now just make it a ship to ship battle with strikes visually in the vessel.

I know that some excitement can be added to this ride. I know that there are other ideas out there that would also take it to the next level.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

Let's wait and see. I'm hoping for an update in time for the 20th in 2007.
    You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.

• Hooterville, USA

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan
    I know the change that is needed for that ride. Now first I want to say I love the ride, even today. I do think it needs a new story. That is easy. It might also need new AA's. That is relatively easy, but I think that is not enough.

Since Star Tours opened, many simulator rides have opened around the country (and even at other Disney parks.).

I just feel that there needs to be something new that takes the ride to the next level.

My suggestion is to make it a 3D ride. Use 3D goggles and have aliens enter the vessel. Make holograms appear when communicating with other ships. Stir things up. I love the battle sections of the ride. Now just make it a ship to ship battle with strikes visually in the vessel.

I know that some excitement can be added to this ride. I know that there are other ideas out there that would also take it to the next level.
    I like those ideas!

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Minion

Why not travel to other planets as well? Like each simulator being a different destination. Maybe go to Mustafar or Tatooine(which could have a swoop bike race through the canyons as Podracing is declared illegal by the time of the OT, and maybe a terrifying encounter with a Kraytt Dragon on the outskirts of Mos Eisely.)
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Hmm, well, I'm optomistic! I'd personally like to interact with some Ewoks as well as Rex, but I'm probably just dreaming too much

In any case, I really hope that Star Tours gets it's deserved update.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .

Hopefully it's a clue, even new films would be a nice change. I'm probably completely off my rocker here, but wasn't stated years ago (shortly after it opened) that the whole theme of it being a spaceport was so that in the future they could update the ride systems so that each vehicle could contain it's own film? It was probably just a rumor, but it at least seemed logical at the time.

BTW, JiminyCricketFan, I would much rather see your ideas than just a new film. As you said the technology is so much more advanced now and it warrants a 3D make over at least.
    Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

• ºoº Tom ºoº

I have to side with unlikely, if you ever get to see behind the scene specials of Imagineering at work on new rides they rarely if ever test new ride vehicles in the parks themselves (see also footage of Indy or TOT testing)

Its usually in a a warehouse/soundstage in Burbank or Florida. I would however believe tweaks to the projecter, sound system, animatronics, television sets, etc WERE being tested in the current ride system- not that I LIKE that idea because it means a tweak not an update.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan

I dont know. To me, it seems like 3D attractions become stale so quick nowadays. Not to mention, I think a lot of their problem is the fact that people don't like wearing those glasses. I know I dont, after a couple minutes my eyes hurt and I get a strange headache. Despite loving "It's Tough to Be a Bug!" I tend to avoid it because I just cant do 3D movies.. I also tend to be concerned with 3D attractions, as they typically lack any real entertainment and/or repeatablility since they tend to rely too heavily on 3D and "4D" gags. But thats just my opinion....

As to the sign, I'm interested to see what the sign looked like. Very interesting news, though....

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

•   
    • debating what to put here

Quote Originally Posted by ah schucks
    I have to side with unlikely, if you ever get to see behind the scene specials of Imagineering at work on new rides they rarely if ever test new ride vehicles in the parks themselves (see also footage of Indy or TOT testing)

Its usually in a a warehouse/soundstage in Burbank or Florida. I would however believe tweaks to the projecter, sound system, animatronics, television sets, etc WERE being tested in the current ride system- not that I LIKE that idea because it means a tweak not an update.
    While you are probably right that it is very rare, it does happen. Last year, we were walking through tomorrowland and saw Tony Baxter head over to the sub area. This is when they actually had a sub in the lagoon for a few weeks. He boarded the sub with what appeared to be a group of imagineers and a few moments later, we noticed that the lagoon around the sub was changing colors and it appeared that they were testing lighting effects.

So, once in a while at least, they do some testing at the parks.

As far as Star Tours though, I wouldn't get your hopes up just yet. Disney has a lot on their plate right now with the subs, POTC, etc... I would highly doubt they are working on anything ST related at the moment. Just my opinion, of course.
    "How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?"
    - Satchel Paige

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast