• Northwest Disneyphile

Story? We Don't need no stinking story!

So there has been much talk in the past 24 hours as to the story alterations in both , Haunted Mansion and Pirates. I don't think ether is too story heavy. I feel most E-tickets fail to tell a complete story. The only one that comes to mind is Splash Mountain. While the best attractions give me just a piece of a story, while allowing me to experience something new and different.

Take Star Tours for example. I get to experience space travel as a part of the larger story of Star Wars. Same goes for Dumbo I get to experience elephant travel as part of the larger story.

I know Disney says they stress the idea of story in all there attractions, but come on, how much story can the Astro Orbeter tell?
    Broadway Duchess, Darling if you only knew half as much as everybody thinks you do

• Rainicorn.

Re: Story? We Don't need no stinking story!

I think there's a huge difference between comparing the Astro Orbiter to Pirates of the Caribbean... it really isn't fair.

E-ticket rides definitely need some sort of story or at least a semblance of a plotline. Even BTMRR has a plotline.
    Well, light travels from the sun. Then, bounces off of our planet, and back into our eyes so we can perceive color. My body can intercept that light and dance around on it!

-- robotarmada.net --

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

Quote Originally Posted by yensid1987
    Same goes for Dumbo I get to experience elephant travel as part of the larger story.
    and really, what would the world be like without experiencing elephant travel?

I also would say that Indy tells a pretty clear story.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

• Rainicorn.

Quote Originally Posted by Anders
    and really, what would the world be like without experiencing elephant travel?
    Flying elephant travel.
    Well, light travels from the sun. Then, bounces off of our planet, and back into our eyes so we can perceive color. My body can intercept that light and dance around on it!

-- robotarmada.net --

• Northwest Disneyphile

Quote Originally Posted by robotpirates
    Even BTMRR has a plotline.
    But can you figure out this plotline with out it being told to you. I know the story behind BTMRR, but thats because I read it.

Quote Originally Posted by robotpirates
    I think there's a huge difference between comparing the Astro Orbiter to Pirates of the Caribbean... it really isn't fair.
    Im only comparing them, in that they are attractions that i can ride when I'm at Disneyland. Thats about all they have in common.

I think Pirates lets me experience a bayou, some creepy caves and pirates, in the larger story of what is now the Pirates of the Caribbean universe, which includes four attractions and at least one film. I don't think it tells that much of story.
    Broadway Duchess, Darling if you only knew half as much as everybody thinks you do

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Quote Originally Posted by Anders
    I also would say that Indy tells a pretty clear story.
    Yeah, it certainly does, and it is why I enjoy so much. I've said this elsewhere today, but I think what Disney does best are those adventure/story-based rides that take you on a little 'quest' or adventure. I would certainly count Pirates and Haunted Mansion in this category too. It is pure escapism, as you are taken into a world for a few minutes and buy completely into it.

Even if they don't tell 'A Story' that goes from A to B, per se, these type of rides create part of a narrative for the audience, and lets them get caught up and fill in the blanks. All that is happening with these two rides being altered is that story elements are being added, giving audiences some more food for their imagination.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.” - Bill Hicks

• Northwest Disneyphile

Quote Originally Posted by Loomis
    these type of rides create part of a narrative for the audience, and lets them get caught up and fill in the blanks.
    My thoughts exactly

• Needs the smell of summer

Quote Originally Posted by Loomis
    Yeah, it certainly does, and it is why I enjoy so much. I've said this elsewhere today, but I think what Disney does best are those adventure/story-based rides that take you on a little 'quest' or adventure. I would certainly count Pirates and Haunted Mansion in this category too. It is pure escapism, as you are taken into a world for a few minutes and buy completely into it.

Even if they don't tell 'A Story' that goes from A to B, per se, these type of rides create part of a narrative for the audience, and lets them get caught up and fill in the blanks. All that is happening with these two rides being altered is that story elements are being added, giving audiences some more food for their imagination.

The ultimate testiment to the "true escapism" of Pirates is that when you get off of the ride, especially the first few times you ride it, there us a moment of confusion when you step outside, and you swear it should be the dead of night, but it is bright and sunny.

• Hey, that's not Rose!

Well I for one LOVE the idea of stories in rides, though I have always thought POTC had a bit of one to begin with, such as pirates invading a town and taking all the money and burning it down, which IS what pirates did back then. I thought that the movie was pretty good rep of the ride at the time. I do not mind them putting in a JD AA, i think it's pretty cool. As far as HM, whatever. If they can make it more interesting and high tech then more power to it! I am sorry but after time, both of these rides bore me to sleep, literally! The last 3 times I rode POTC i actually fell asleep in the boat! I welcome the change of these rides, I think it is time for something new and exciting. Please don't hate me for my opinions lol.
    It's Robin Hood I want!

Disneyworld 1987

• Needs the smell of summer

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfreeek
    Well I for one LOVE the idea of stories in rides, though I have always thought POTC had a bit of one to begin with, such as pirates invading a town and taking all the money and burning it down, which IS what pirates did back then. I thought that the movie was pretty good rep of the ride at the time. I do not mind them putting in a JD AA, i think it's pretty cool. As far as HM, whatever. If they can make it more interesting and high tech then more power to it! I am sorry but after time, both of these rides bore me to sleep, literally! The last 3 times I rode POTC i actually fell asleep in the boat! I welcome the change of these rides, I think it is time for something new and exciting. Please don't hate me for my opinions lol.

Pirates is a nice place to catch a nap! It's cool inside, pretty long, and after you've ridden it for th tenth time in a single day, you don't relly need to pay attention.