View Poll Results: What is the level of quality of Disneyland Food

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • BB is a five star gem, the rest is a neglected school cafeteria.

8 11.43%
  • Denny's, Coco's; put this place to shame.

6 8.57%
  • Nutritional, filling, not bad at all.

1 1.43%
  • Each dining locale varies, you just have to know where to go and the food is tasty.

54 77.14%
  • If you get lucky, you can eat at a basic level of quality.

8 11.43%
  • Its not so bad I cant just down it quickly on the way to my next fastpass window.

1 1.43%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Silly Bird?

new hunger movement, Returns

last poll showed that the majority of patrons find the food "Atrocious! Look at the Quality and the Prices!"

Judging by the comments, it seems that the most overwhelming concern was quality. Was quality better in past years, and if so, what contributed to that?

Some people have called for Mary Niven to answer to this issue of quality (while that answering has been suggested as a bowing out to join the GAP parade of Pressler and Harriss).

This time lets qualify the level of food quality.
    "You know it's a funny thing, but when I drink too many Gin and Tonics I start to glow in the dark."
    A. Trebek, Jeopardy, aired 7/15/2010

SHAMELESS PLUG- Check out my gallery of original ride music...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GLbC...layer_embedded

• With my wife....

Re: new hunger movement, Returns

I've always found the food quality at the DLR to be a mixed bag. I think there are roughly 3 categories of food available:

"Pricey but Nice" (Blue Bayou, Napa Rose), "Standard Fare" (Plaza Inn, Taste Pilot's Grill), and "Eat-and-Run" (Tomorrowland Terrace, Award Wieners). In my experience, the quality tends to be very good in the Pricey category, good to fair in the Standard category, and fair to poor in the Eat-and-Run category. Basically, the more you pay, the better the food is.

Take into consideration how the "average" park visitor eats during a trip (if there really is an average anymore!). Depending on the affluence of said visitor, it's likely that they are split 50/50 between Standard Fare and Eat-and-Run, with a small percentage able to fork over the cash for one of the Pricey places. Eating like that, it's understandable that many visitors think the quality of food on Resort property is sub-standard, especially if they happen to eat at the places that most of us AP'ers avoid like the plague (Village Haus, anyone?).

For those of us who go to the DLR frequently, we tend to find our favorite places and stick with them, which gives us a much better food experience in the Parks than those who go in uninformed (and likely disappointed).

If you're looking for me in any of the Resort restaurants, you'll likely find me at Pizza Port, Taste Pilot's Grill, Bengal Barbeque, or the Pacific Wharf Cafe, in that order. Anyone else have any favorites?
    "I could never convince the financiers that Disneyland was feasible because dreams offer too little collateral"

--Walt Disney

I agree with most everything you wrote, E.. Instead of Taste Pilots (which I like but don't love), I'd probably add Whitewater Snacks since it's more reasonable than most other DLR eaterys, never crowded and I haven't had anything bad from there.

Quote Originally Posted by E-ticket
    If you're looking for me in any of the Resort restaurants, you'll likely find me at Pizza Port, Taste Pilot's Grill, Bengal Barbeque, or the Pacific Wharf Cafe, in that order. Anyone else have any favorites?

• Artsy Fartsy

[quote=E-ticket]I've always found the food quality at the DLR to be a mixed bag. I think there are roughly 3 categories of food available:

"Pricey but Nice" (Blue Bayou, Napa Rose), "Standard Fare" (Plaza Inn, Taste Pilot's Grill), and "Eat-and-Run" (Tomorrowland Terrace, Award Wieners). In my experience, the quality tends to be very good in the Pricey category, good to fair in the Standard category, and fair to poor in the Eat-and-Run category. Basically, the more you pay, the better the food is.quote]

I totally agree.

[IMG]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/iz6m4v8ubq0103m8.png[/IMG]

• Mickeyfan3

Okay - Depending on where you go.......
    Rancho Del Zocalo, River Belle Terrace, Blue Bayou, the restaurants in NO Square, and Pizza Port are all pretty good. Definitely beats a hot dog. And the burger place in tomorrowland also apparently does breakfast, which I never knew because tradition dicates MM pancakes at RBT, or Goofy's Kitchen (forget that now - go to PCH Grill for Lilo & Stitch and awesome food and multiple character visits!!!) but the breakfast plates we saw at TL looked really good. (We also bring bagels, cream cheese, , cereals & milk, or PB&J, etc for breakfast in the rooms for a couple of days

Overall - resort food is WAY overpriced. And I know some people will complain about this, but with kids, we DO bring in snacks for them. We buy stuff too, but when you've got kids, you gotta do what you gotta do.

• The one, the only...

If you know where to look, you can have a wonderful dining experience. The problem is that so many know about those choices that lines form early. Reservations to Blue Bayou must be done immediately on entrance to the park.

What has changed over the years are the guests. More guests are economically successful enough that they want a higher quality experience. Also the guests are older, as the rest of America. Older Americans like to dine out. They are not eating churros and a Dole-Whip for lunch.

Vacationers want to have a restaurant experience when they come from out of town. It is not just the quality of the food, but the dining experience must be pleasant and entertaining. Price is a factor. People don't like being overcharged, but do want better value than popcorn and a turkey-leg.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Basking in birthday love

I second Whitewater. I'm a huge fan. I also like the clam chowder bread bowls in NOS, and for breakfast, there's nothing like a fruit danish and a caramel macchiato. The only character dining I've done is Ariel's Grotto; the food wasn't great, but the desserts were wonderful, the atmosphere was nice, and $21/person isn't bad for a three course meal.

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

• For You!

I just wish it was a little better. I wouldn't mind paying 5.95 for a burger and fries, but 7.95 is getting a little up there, when it's cold or not that great. I consider most of the faster places like that. And the food at RBT when we went, was all pre-prepared (they actually pulled out a tray and took a sheet of plastic off it ) and the cornbread was dry and hard as a rock. I realize speed is a big factor, but then drop the prices a little. I mean you expect a little less quality food for cheap prices, right? Oh well, we tend to bring in food a lot too - my kids are too picky of eaters to waste that kind of money on them.

My favorite - the blue ribbon bakery. A muffin in the morning is great.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• /sigh

I second the Bakery. Mmm, cinnamon sticky bun and a coffee....mmmm..
    Marge: Barnacle Bill's Home Pregnancy Test? Homer, shouldn't we have gone with a better-known brand?
    Homer: But Marge, this one came with a corn-cob pipe!
    Marge: [reading from the test box] "Ahoy, Maties! If the water turns blue, a baby for you! If purple ye see, no baby thar be!"
    Homer: So, which is it? Blue or purple?
    Marge: Pink.
    Homer: D'oh!
    Marge: "If ye test should fail, to a doctor set sail!"

Left the church, but not the parishioners.

I don't think Blue Bayou quality is even close to what it used to be about 10 years ago.

I miss the variety and quality at the Plaza Inn. There was a time when they had sandwiches, pot roast, and many other selections that were all high-quality meals. Now, their food compares to Norm's at best.

I enjoy the breakfasts at Carnation. The potatoes there are very well-prepared and quite tasty.

Hungry Bear is like a bad highschool cafeteria, same thing with Club Buzz and Village Haus.

Zocolo was excellent, until they recently changed their menu again and got rid of the garlic grilled chicken.

Stage Door Cafe is average - similar to Burger King.

Coke Corner has decent hot dogs, and I really enjoy their chili.

Pizza Port is average - the chicken fusilli is their best dish.

White Water is good for the price. I especially like their nachos.

Storytellers Cafe is one of my fave resort restaurants - their quality is what Blue Bayou used to have.

Test Pilots is decent "upscale" fast food, similar to Fudrucker's or Fat Burger.

• I'm your huckleberry.

I have noticed the quality and variety of food at the parks has diminished a lot.

I'll second DP on the fact that Blue Bayou has slipped in quality of late. I still enjoy eating there, but its not what it used to be.

One of my favorite meals at the park is a salad and shrimp cocktail from Cafe Orleans. Not on the menu, but it's tasty and has a great price.

I miss the Hungry Bear and Tomorrowland Terrace of yore. Back when the burgers used to be juicy and not dried out hockey pucks. Unfortunately Bengal BBQ will be joining the ranks of the good eats of yore before too long.

Storytellers is fabulous, but a little pricey. Carnation Cafe is great for a filling lunch, 1/2 sandwich and soup is a good choice there.

I miss Zocalo's garlic chicken, but especially the grilled pineapple. What a loss! I haven't tried the new menu, but understand it leaves something to be desired.

All in all, there are still good things to eat at the park, you just have to look hard for them. Usually my daughter and I end up eating at DTD and skipping the poor selection at the parks.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• Vehicle rotating backward

I think the hotel food should maintain a standard of quality, but in the parks.. Come on, it's amusement park food. You can't complain that it's loaded with fat and calories, because amusement park food almost always is. The exception is the occasional place where they try and be "fancy" like the Blue Bayou.

Also, this is not WDW. Food options exist just outside the gate and the Good Neighbor hotels most the tourists are staying in have their own reasonably-priced mid-range restaurants or at least a fast food place. In Florida, there's need for more variation because there's not a bustling tourist corridor within walking distance from any of the parks.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

At least at Denny's and Coco's I can find something relatively decent that isn't going to cost me a small bankroll.

I'll be concise because I've said this in so many other food quality threads ...

Poor quality (and yes the BB has gone way down) ...
    way too high prices...a problem that management needs to deal with.

Thank you

Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Hooterville, USA

How hard is it to serve good food? I didn't think that there was such mystery in making tasty food at DL.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• UnExiled Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas
    How hard is it to serve good food? I didn't think that there was such mystery in making tasty food at DL.
    Well, it depends on what you start with.
    And that depends on how much you're buying and what price you want to pay for it.
    Combine this with the fact that the food (and souvenirs) have to be profitable enough to pay for most of the operating costs of the park, and you basically start with cheap-quality food at high prices.

If only there was a way to increase revenues, based on the value of the product being offered...
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast