• Closed Account

DRR Ward Kimball Progress Report!

Things are coming along nicely!

Today, the tender tank was lifted and set onto the frame. The cab was placed there some weeks ago, so the engine is really beginning to take shape, and one can really see what the engine will look like. Both the cab and the tender have been painted, lettered and striped (so have the sand dome, bell, and other components). The lettering is stunning, done in the best Disney tradition. She will differ from her siblings, in that all the lettering is hand-applied gold leaf. The drop-shadowing and striping are true examples of the striper’s art.

The cab of the engine is huge! It doesn’t have a roof hatch, but there will be plenty of ventilation through its large doors and windows. Most of the cab fittings have been installed, including the throttle and Johnson Bar. Of particular interest is the gauge stand—the cast iron bracket that holds the steam gauge, and, above it, the brake gauge. This piece is a Baldwin original, and it is rare because through the years, shop crews would often cut off the top gauge mount. This one is as original as the day it left the Baldwin erecting floor in 1902.

The process has begun to re-install the Stephenson valve gear components. Much of the valve gear is original Baldwin as well, recognizable because of the stampings “8 11 1/3 C” which indicate the locomotive style in Baldwin “code.”

The smokebox front and door have been installed, with the door cast from the original pattern used to make the doors for the four other Disneyland engines. A new headlight bracket, fabricated along the lines of the one on the Marsh, has been bolted to the smokebox. The boiler braces have also been attached between smokebox and pilot deck.

New driver centers are being cast as I write this (rectifying a repair made to one of the wheels during Cedar Fair days). The tender and pony trucks have already been painted, with the tender truck having been attached. The cylinders themselves have been encased in polished brass.

Anyway, hope you enjoyed this report. This engine is just beautiful. It will be even more so when steam fills her cylinders, her whistle screams, and she pulls out of Main Street Station for the first time--a fitting tribute to the man who played such an influential role in the history of Disney steam railroading.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Cool, thanks for the info and update. Can't wait until the Ward Kimball gets on the rails!
    -Monorail Man

Last edited by Pirate Wench; 04-27-2005 at 08:44 PM.

• Zapp's Minion :D

Wow, Thanks for all the info I can't wait to see the Ward Kimbell in action.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries
    Wow, that took my breath away!
    Can't wait to see her in action!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries
    Thanks for that- what a great update! I always appreciate your posts, especially about the DLRR- few people appreciate that it was one of Walt's greatest passions!

Do you know if there are any plans for the Lilly Belle? Has it been restored at all?
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• Still lost in Neverland

I can hardly wiat to see this wonderful new addtion to the DLRR. Thanks so much for the update. Be sure to let us know when it will make it's first run. That would be wonderful to see it pull into Main Street Station for the first time.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Senior Minion

Wow!!! thanks for sharing this with us. This is going to be a special Year in new and great things to remember. What enthusiasm you have for the trains. I think they are all beautifully done.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• "Retired" DL Tour Guide

simply fantastic! Thanks for the report, I had no idea she was so far along!
    -"We can see a new horizon...built on all that we have done..and our dreams begin another thousand circles 'round the sun!"
    -- Epcot: Illuminations "Reflections of Earth"

-"...Each dream that you chase, each wish you embrace can lead to a fabulous faraway place...!"
    --DCA: World Of Color

• trainboyjon
    Hey all, names jon here. I was wondering if anyone has got some pics of Maud L out there and the work your doing on her. Yes I say Maud cause that's the way I know her. I work up here at CP and was just intrested to see if anyone has any shots of her you could send our way. We would love to have a pic or two to hang up w/ all the rest of our engine pics, even though we don't have her anymore.... We've got a big one of Maud L up on our wall, just think a renovated one would go good with it.. thanks for any help.

• Infinitized!

I too work on steam locomotives during the summer. The one steam locomotive I work on has been featured in two Disney movies (well, actually, one was Touchstone). The locomotive is ex MacMillan Bloedel #1077, a 1923 2-6-2 built by the Montreal Locomotive Works.

The first movie was The Journey of Natty Gann. All filming was done on BC Rail tracks in the Howe Sound and Squamish area of BC. There was also another BC government owned locomotive in that movie which I also volunteered sometime on this past winter. It was ex CP #3716 which is now at the Kettle Valley Steam Railway in Summerland.

The other movie that #1077 starred in was Shanghai Noon starring Jackie Chan and Owen Wilson. All filming was done in Alberta. The locomotive had to be transported from it's current home at Fort Steele Heritage Town, atop two flatbed trucks - the locomotive on one truck and the tender on the other. All the railway scenes were filmed on CN trackage near Drumheller. The rest of the movie was filmed mostly in Cochrane and, it also seems from the scenery, in the Kananaskis area.

This summer I'm going to be a fireman trainee on the engine so I'm pretty excited about that , although I won't be able to make it down to Disneyland for the 50th.

I don't know if this is true or not, but I once heard that Walt Disney came to BC to check out a small private 3 foot gauge railway on Vancouver Island that was owned by Gerry Welburn. Walt apparently was here getting some ideas for Disneyland. Gerry's collection ended up being the basis for the British Columbia Forest Discovery Center. (http://www.bcforestmuseum.com/) There's a quick mention of Walt on this page: http://www.bcforestmuseum.com/centre_gerry.htm

Just curious, do you guys do tours of your shop facilities there at Disneyland?
    Last edited by Barbossa; 04-26-2005 at 09:03 PM.