Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thumbs down New Music In POTC?

In the new Disneyland Podcast, it was stated by an Imagineer that there will be new music from the movie added to the ride.

Now everyone is familiar with George Bruns' song playing throughout POTC ("Yo ho, yo ho, a pirates life for me.") But have you ever noticed the actual instrumental score that he wrote for the ride? Hurry up, take a ride, pay close attention to the score... the tone that is being set... the mood.

The news that they will be adding music from the movie to the ride makes me extremely angry. They state, "our intent is not to touch the spirit of the attraction but to strengthen it and make it more relevant today."

George Bruns SCORED the ride... Klaus Badelt scored the movie inspired by the ride. Badelt's score works fine in the movie (though it's not a work of art.) Bruns score IS a work of art. Additionaly, the two scores are completely different and they are not interchangable in any manner.

If the original score isn't one of the main elements of "spirit" in or of the attraction, I don't know what is. Bruns score was the original, the one Walt Disney meant for the attraction. Music is SO VERY important, especially in POTC. The original score seems very "relevant" to me in todays world... in fact it's one of the few class-acts and true works of art, un-touched in Disneyland today.

Would one go back and replace cues in... let's say... the score from the classic film, "Citizen Kane?" Heck no. That would be tampering with it's "SPIRIT."

Shame on you WDI & Disney... whoever made this call. I'm much more offended by this than the fact that they're adding characters from the movie to the ride.

I can't wait until Lasseter gets in there and prevents crap like this from happening.

I'm also sad that my sixth month-old daughter will never experience POTC the way that I did... the way Walt Disney wanted her to.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Re: New Music In POTC?

From my understanding, the music from the movie won't actually be in the ride, but instead in the queue.

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict
    From my understanding, the music from the movie won't actually be in the ride, but instead in the queue.
    In my opinion, the intended mood and tone is set the moment you enter the building. If they were to add the 'new' score to the OUTDOOR queue, that would be one thing -- but I doubt they will.

I imagine they will use the main title theme from the movie somewhere in the ride itself. I hope I'm wrong.

• Why do you keep talking?

Wow is all I have to say. Wow...

Ok I lied, um wah? I liked the music for the Pirates movie and i would like it if they added any of it to the ride. If people really don't even realize that their is a score to "set the mood" then what difference will it make if the movie music or an original work (maybe from the second film?) is used instead? Oh wait, the puritsts who don't like change will.

Wah, wah, wah.
    "Tonight I wash my hands of you
    You set the bar I could not live up to
    Tonight the light is breaking through
    So thank you very little and send me postcards from hell"
    Zebrahead

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Hector
    Wow is all I have to say. Wow...

Ok I lied, um wah? I liked the music for the Pirates movie and i would like it if they added any of it to the ride. If people really don't even realize that their is a score to "set the mood" then what difference will it make if the movie music or an original work (maybe from the second film?) is used instead? Oh wait, the puritsts who don't like change will.

Wah, wah, wah.
    I agree. I love the music from the film and think it would fit quite well with the new darker theme. I'm pretty sure the original score won't be totally eliminated, but imagine how much more powerful the skeleton/cave scenes would be with a more serious tone...

:chills:

• Basking in birthday love

I'm actually going to watch the movie (with commentary) after I finish checking my e-mail. I adore the score of the film. My high school orchestra played the Pirates suite my senior year, and now I involuntarily conduct the closing credits and a couple of other points in the film. It's lush, exciting, and stirring music, and I would love to hear it in the queue. What a way to get you pumped for the ride.

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by aerinpegadrak
    I'm actually going to watch the movie (with commentary) after I finish checking my e-mail. I adore the score of the film. My high school orchestra played the Pirates suite my senior year, and now I involuntarily conduct the closing credits and a couple of other points in the film. It's lush, exciting, and stirring music, and I would love to hear it in the queue. What a way to get you pumped for the ride.
    I think every school orchestra/marching band/drum corps in the U.S. has played the Pirates movie theme...

Talk about OVERKILL! Every competition consisted of the same thing!

I love the music that is playing when you enter the building (the clarinet piece - not sure on what instrument is being played). I really hope they don't take it out.

I wasn't too bothered when I found out that some characters from the movies would be incorporated into the ride but I agree about the music. It would bother me since the score I have heard from the first movie isn't particularly memorable.

I'm glad I have my CD of POTC ride music from the old CD kiosks. I can always listen to my iPod with the original theme if the new music ruins the experience.

I sure hope this isn't true. One of the reasons I didn't care much for the movie was I was anticipating hearing the wonderful score of the attraction in a full surround sound theatrical mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian
    I agree. I love the music from the film and think it would fit quite well with the new darker theme. I'm pretty sure the original score won't be totally eliminated, but imagine how much more powerful the skeleton/cave scenes would be with a more serious tone...

:chills:
    Boy, you guys are nuts...

It's funny - the mood sure has changed around here. It now seems to be that the cool thing is for people to slam those that don't want change.

FWIW - I wouldn't mind most of the changes I've read about. I don't really look forward to seeing Depp's face in the ride (hoping the stylize it so it's not his likeness). And, I think replacing the music would be a travesty. It is really more important to the feel of the ride than many of the scenes if you really think about it.

I guess that gives me the "no no, I can't take and accept change" tag. So be it.

I think every school orchestra/marching band/drum corps in the U.S. has played the Pirates movie theme...

Well yeah, everyone wanted to play it because it was awesome! Though we had an amazing orchestra, so it was really wonderful to hear. This summer I walked by Carnation Gardens, and there was a teeny group playing it completely out of tune. It was painful. But I still had it stuck in my head for the rest of the day. It's so damn catchy! Bum! BUM! Bum-bum-bum ba-da! BUM! Bum! Bum-bum ba-dum! (That's supposed to be the main title, which doesn't work so well in a text-based medium...)

Quote Originally Posted by socal05
    I don't really look forward to seeing Depp's face in the ride (hoping the stylize it so it's not his likeness).
    It's very unlikely that it will be Depp's face, since nothing I've heard so far indicates that WDI has been given permission to use his likeness. CMs are being told to refer to the new AAs as Jack Sparrow and not Johnny Depp, because they won't be him.

I'm trying to conjure up the music from the ride in my head, but all I can come up with is instrumental versions of "A Pirate's Life for Me." Meanwhile, the film score is very clear in my mind. Bum! BUM! Bum-bum-bum ba-da!

• Small Projects Team

I hope they don't change my Blue Bayou music...

• Circle of Ancients

Okay ... I have stood back in this issue until now.

I'm actually someone who LOVES pirates, it's always been my favorite ride in the park. I'm okay with the changes it's going to be going under. I'm willing to give the imagineers the benefit of the doubt on this one.

But messing with the music is where I draw the line. The score of POTC (the movie) was my one sour spot in the whole thing. IMO it didn't fit the movie. It was something that was found in The Rock, or Pearl Harbor or every other Jerry Bruckheimer movie ever. Granted, Pirates was a great deal better than your normal Bruckheimer movie, but the score was not.

If that sad excuse of a score finds it's way in to Pirates (based on the movie or not) I will be very upset.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

really? when I was in high school every school played the theme from Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. man I feel old now.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast