View Poll Results: Is Finding Nemo Appropreate for Tomorrowland?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

10 47.62%
  • No! (my opinion)

11 52.38%
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

• Banned User

How is Finding Nemo Appropriate for Tomorrowland?

To me, it seems that a Finding Nemo ride doesn't seem like it would fit in Tomorrowland, it seems more of a Fantasyland type ride to me. I don't know if that's how other people feel, but that's how I feel. What does Finding Nemo have to do with the future of man kind? I ask you this one quaestion. If you have an answer or just a comment, please post it here!

• ...TWO BITS!

Re: How is Finding Nemo Appropreate for Tomorrowland?

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18719

I kind of already started this.

Here's a possible rumor spoiler if you must know how Finding Nemo may fit in TL:
    Spoiler
    You go through the ride just like how Submarine Voyage did. Exploring the depths of the ocean where no man has gone before. The captain turns on the ocean sonar so you can hear the fish talk. Turn out, you can where them in English. Before you go under the waterfalls, you see characters from Nemo and follow them on an adventure.

I think either MiceAge or Jim Hill reported this.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Forum Sommelier

It's not. But Pixarland now maybe. Can Autopia turn into Cars?
    Mike

• Banned User

-Content Removed-

• Dreams do come true

Maybe in the future fish can talk

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

The Submarine Voyage made its debut in Tomorrowland in 1959. That was a very different era. Part of what made the 50's fun was the paradoxical attitude that it WAS the future. The future had finally arrived and we were living in it! Instead of big, dark, square cars with wooden wheels, we were whizzing around in stylized and powerful three-tone behemoths with giant rocket-like fins dripping with chrome. Architecture became sleek and geometric. The furniture came in amoeba shapes and was covered in ultra-modern vinyl! We were launching rockets into outer space! The USA had just sent the nuclear-powered submarine Nautilus under the North Pole icecap. This was "The Atomic Age" and surely must be the dawn of "the future."

Of course, that was a sanitized and idealistic vision... but then... that's what Disneyland is all about. We were singing "It's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow!" not "It Will Be A Great Big Beatiful Tomorrow!" Tomorrow was today. "Walt Disney... meet George Jetson." Walt focused on transportation in his theme of "A World On The Move" for a very practical reason: He could design things to ride. He could create a world of movement and kinetic energy. (This is a basic reason why Innoventions failed... it just sits there. CoP and America Sings combined a show with a ride.)

So... we had gone from a world where the only way to get around was a horse & buggy, a ship or a train to a world filled with sleek cars, jets, rocket ships and submarines. Just being able to ride in a submarine was the thrill. The original Disney subs were atomic-powered (supposedly) adding to the futuristic fantasy. One was even named Nautilus. What you see out the window during your ride merely adds to the enjoyment and keeps you entertained. It really doesn't matter whether it's a cross-eyed sea serpent or Nemo as long as it's an entertaining show.

Granted... strictly speaking, submarines are no longer very futuristic. But everyone loves that attraction so we're willing to overlook that point. We just want to ride in a submarine somewhere... and Adventurland, Frontierland or Fantasyland just don't quite fit. OK... maybe Fantasyland. Fortunately, the subs are located in the area where Tomorrowland transitions to Fantasyland so it can be a little of each.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

•   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55

Talking Re: How is Finding Nemo Appropreate for Tomorrowland?

Does it really matter whether they're part of Tomorrowland or Fantasyland? I'm just grateful the subs are returning at all. They could have suffered the fate of the WDW subs: dismantled and sold on ebay, with the lagoon filled in with a mountain of dirt and a baby playland installed on top of it as their only tombstone.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Well no Nemo really doesn't fit. But it is either Nemo or an empty lagoon. You choose

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
    Well no Nemo really doesn't fit. But it is either Nemo or an empty lagoon. You choose
    Well, darn! I just bloviated on and on and on about philosophy and stuff... and you really pretty much nailed it in 17 words!
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Hedonist

Obviously Pixar is Disney's Future.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyland's#1fan!
    To me, it seems that a Finding Nemo ride doesn't seem like it would fit in Tomorrowland, it seems more of a Fantasyland type ride to me. I don't know if that's how other people feel, but that's how I feel. What does Finding Nemo have to do with the future of man kind? I ask you this one quaestion. If you have an answer or just a comment, please post it here!
    When the original Sub Voyage was terminated, it upset me a great deal. Perhaps, I was even a bit depressed. Now, I'm just happy the subs are returning, regardless of theme. At one point, an atlantis theme was being considered for the ride. This theme would have been more in keeping with Tomorrowland.

Disney dropped the Atlantis idea when the movie bombed, and opted for Nemo as it is mega-popular with families and individuals practically everywhere. Between the two, I would still prefer Atlantis or some dort of a futureistic ride. But, Nemo will be awesome hi-tech fun. Although, Disney purist will likely disagree, the Nemo Sub Voyage will remain a crowd eating crowd pleasing giant for years to come.

The old ride is gone forever, and I have no desire to see it return. I totally look forward to enjoying the new ride. Technically speaking, the Nemo film doesn't really commit itself to any particular time, setting wise. Essentially, the tale is timeless - as is Walt's storytelling pholosophy.

I'd prefer to believe that the future is timeless as well. So, I'll just immagine that Nemo takes place 200 years from now. The ocean is clean. Ocean life is as healthy as ever. What an outstanding testiment to mankind if the sea remains uncontaminted in the distant future. Immagine...Dreams Come True.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior
    The old ride is gone forever, and I have no desire to see it return. I totally look forward to enjoying the new ride. Technically speaking, the Nemo film doesn't really commit itself to any particular time, setting wise. Essentially, the tale is timeless - as is Walt's storytelling pholosophy.
    The setting is quite contemporary, though. All of the scenes in Sydney and in the dentist's office are just not Disneyland.

One of the reasons "Honey, I Shrunk the Audience" and Innoventions have been such failures is because they are also far too contemporary and ordinary, so I hope that, once the novelty wanes, the idea for the attraction is rethought.

The show looks as if it is mostly software-based, so a re-imagining in the future may be quite practical.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I don't know about yals but to me, I just want to be able to get back in those submarines again. I don't care about the settings or what not cause just getting in those subs will make the experience a good one for me .

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
    I don't know about yals but to me, I just want to be able to get back in those submarines again. I don't care about the settings or what not cause just getting in those subs will make the experience a good one for me .
    Right on, Wrassler! It's going to be an absolute thrill riding the subs again - regardless of theme.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior
    Right on, Wrassler! It's going to be an absolute thrill riding the subs again - regardless of theme.
    Imagine what an experience it would be for children also just to be able to ride submarines. I remember riding those as a kid and it was incredible.

I remember after riding the ride I would try to look for the mermaids in the lagoon while walking over it. Never did see them though .

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast