School Disneyland Speech

Hey everybody. I'm a junior in high school and i'm in student government. Well, one of the projects is to make a speech about something you like and present it using visual aids (powerpoint, etc.) I'm doing mine on Disneyland next week, but today there was another girl in the government who did hers on Disneyland. Interestingly enough , it was very..how do you say......unknowledgeable? is that a word? but anyways, she basicaly just went through the lands and said if she liked it or not. what i found offensive was when she went through lands like Main Street and said, "there aren't any attractions in this land, there are just shops." or when she got to new orleans square and said, "this is the most boringest land." or when she got to frontierland and said "big thunder is the only attraction. but there are two boats there too." i guess my disney love is just driving me over the edge, but still. for my Presentation do you guys have any suggestions? any interesting facts i should share? any aspect of disneyland? i'm planning to give a lil history about BLACK SUNDAY and then move into today with the 50th and all the things happening and stuff and other secrretS!
    Currently at DreamWorks Animation SKG

Former Disneyland Adventureland Castmember
    [Skipper & Archaeologist]

• Basking in birthday love

Re: School Disneyland Speech

Stop by the Opera House and take a close look at the exhibits, you'll get a bunch of good information.

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

• I'm your huckleberry.

I suggest picking an angle for your presentation. A subject like Disneyland is way to broad to effectively present in a limited amount of time.

Some suggestions for an angle?

Disneyland's relationship with the Walt Disney Company or the entertainment industry in general.

The history of why Disneyland came into being in the first place (i.e. the legend of the "magical little park" next to the burbank studio, and how it turned into Disneyland)

How Disneyland has evolved to remain fresh and current, not getting outdated, etc.

The huge effort it takes to keep the plants and flowers, etc. at Disneyland looking perfect every day.

There are tons of angles you can take. Pick something that speaks to you and is important to you.

Oh, and don't forget, just like a good term paper, a presentation should have a thesis, a body, and a conclusion.

I hope you have fun with your project!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Haha, I plan on doing an informative speech in a class for POTC. Perhaps you could pick your favorite ride and talk about that...why you think it's the most special and all.

• Basking in birthday love

My junior year Academic Decathlon speech was about the first time I saw Tinker Bell, and I'm strongly considering doing my thesis on Tomorrowland, both of which are fairly narrow topics for the length of the medium. I definitely agree that you should pick an angle and stick with it, as it will make for a more dynamic and engaging presentation than just a straight overview of the park.

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

Quote Originally Posted by dchun2007
    any interesting facts i should share?
    How about the one about Disneyland being built on Indian burial grounds...

Seriously, I wrote a paper once on Walt Disney's interest in urban planning.
    You could probably find some info about that subject and how it relates to Disneyland (in particular, Main Street USA and NOS).

Good luck.

• MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Always watching...

I had to do a speech a couple of years ago, but it could only be something like 10 minutes long, so I did mine on the history of how the idea began and the developement of Disneyland, some of the construction problems, and the opening day problems. I focused on little known facts as opposed to just being general about everything. I had gotten a lot of construction pictures off the internet which I used as a power-point presentation behind me. the pictures really fascinated everyone.

Whatever you do, as everyone pointed out, focus on a specific subject and/or area you want to talk about. Good Luck!

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Ah, the school speech. How I loathed thee. By the time I got to university, however, my class presentations had turned into stand-up routines.

I'd also suggest that you focus on one aspect of Disneyland. Any given attraction in the park has a

Alternatively, you could talk about what Disneyland represents to you and others. That way, you could kind of comment that the previous speech meant one thing to her (shops and lack of rides), while it has an entire different meaning to you. Talk about what it has meant to people over time, the history of it and what aspects have helped that develop.

That's what I'd do anyways. More passionate, more marks :P.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.” - Bill Hicks

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

I did a 4-5 minute speech in my Public Speaking class last semester on the Haunted Mansion. I got a C on it only because I presented it late, but my professor said I would have gotten an A if I presented it when it was due.

Disneyland is much too broad for a short in-class presentation. It is a multi-hour long speech in itself, if not days-long. haha. I would suggest doing your favorite attraction, or at least the Pirates of the Caribbean or the Haunted Mansion since there are books and in-depth web sites out there that have loads and loads of valuable information. I don't know what the requirements for your speech is and how many (if any at all) sources are required, and what sort of visual aides are needed, but thats what I would suggest.

For my Persuasive Speech for the same class, I persuaded people to visit Disneyland at least once during the 50th Anniversary. I got a B on that speech only because I missed one source and lacked any visual aides (although they were not required!)...

If you're dead-set on doing Disneyland make sure you do an honest speech and don't do what that girl did. Earn your A and don't just shoot off information that might sound logical or correct despite it being wrong or just poorly researched.

Impress your teacher and show them you know what you're talking about.

As for researching Disneyland there are many web sites out there... but be aware that a lot of them are incorrect in many areas...

For Pirates of the Caribbean I suggest www.tellnotales.com for research.
    For the Haunted Mansion, www.doombuggies.com, www.grimghosts.com

And if you chose to do POTC or HM, look into Jason Surrell's incredible books on these subjects:
    The Haunted Mansion: From the Magic Kingdom to the Movies
    Pirates of the Caribbean: From the Magic Kingdom to the Movies

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

what i planned on doing was three sort of a historical comparison. iwould explain dlands humble beginnings, mainly focusing on Black Sunday then jumping to today. explaining not only Disneyland but Disney's significance in today's world. and wrap up with information about the 50th anniversary..as i explain certain things i might toss in a few interesting facts cuz it seems for a lotta people that dont go to dland often, they find these facts VERY interesting
    Currently at DreamWorks Animation SKG

Former Disneyland Adventureland Castmember
    [Skipper & Archaeologist]

Quote Originally Posted by aerinpegadrak
    My junior year Academic Decathlon speech was about the first time I saw Tinker Bell,
    Like, whose wasn't?
    Tref ...