Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Restoring Walt Disney’s Disneyland: The Golden Horseshoe Revue

I have yet to see a new idea that truly wows me.

I would love to have WDI put something truly amazing and/or wholly appropriate into any one of the lands.

Indiana Jones is about as close as it gets for relatively recent additions. And that was how long ago?
    "Say, uh, ever hear of the devil's paint pots? Real mystery of the desert. Bubblin' pots of mud in all kinds of colors."

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by speederscout

Could it be that those "old" attractions really were more magical and unique than you recall from your pre-toddler days? True, some of the things we have now are better than what we had then... but some of what we've been given isn't nearly as creative, clever, or even as detailed as what was taken from us. Its easier to put in something new with cheap thrills than it is to care for, maintain, and upgrade something that was more complex, even something from back in the "old days".

Again, I am NOT saying that nothing at the park should be changed, or that everything ever built there was a bonafide hit...
    Speederscout...I simply could not possibly agree with you more.

Thank you,

Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Quote Originally Posted by NWRREngineer
    I have yet to see a new idea that truly wows me.

I would love to have WDI put something truly amazing and/or wholly appropriate into any one of the lands.

Indiana Jones is about as close as it gets for relatively recent additions. And that was how long ago?
    Then again, there is only so much you can do within the existing 'lands' at the California Park. The really big new rides at the other parks seem to be emerging in their peripheral parks rather than in the 'magic kingdom' itself. Everest has been built at the Animal Kingdom, for example. Mind you, Florida has a lot more space to work with.

It is a strange balance that they have to work with. There are people who want newer, faster and bigger. There are people who like to hold on to the stuff that is there now. There are those who want a bit of both. All of these things require time, space and money. WDI may have come up with a billion great concepts, but where to put them? What should be replaced? Indiana Jones was a great addition, albeit 11 years old now, but it took up some of the Eyeore parking lot (as is my understanding). Ok that's fine, most would say, but it is still a significant decision. People need to be able to know that there is still ample parking. For all I care, they could use all of the carparks to make new attractions, but that is going to put the odd nose out of joint.

The basic point at the end of all that is this: space restrictions in California either mean that - for the meantime anyway - these sorts of refurbishments (and the ones to POTC and HM) are more realistic than trying to build whole new attractions. I'd rather everything there be running at peak efficiency than seeing a new ride crammed in sideways just so regulars don't get bored.

Finally, the point I always like to make is this: for people that go there 8 or 9 times a year, of course you are going to want to see new attractions. However, the casual visitor will simply want the best possible Disneyland experience they can have. I'm not sure what the statistics are on how many first-timers go there a year as opposed to local regulars. However, one has to be reminded occasionally that not everybody has seen it all before. For many, Disneyland is going to be magical even if Frontierland hasn't been refurbished, simply by virtue of the fact that they've never seen it before.

*climbs down off soapbox* (again)
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.” - Bill Hicks

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

I never said not to bring in new ideas or totally new attractions... Not sure where that idea came in. What I wrote was that some of those old attraction concepts would be, and are, still viable.

Where did I imply one over the other??
    It seems like you'd much prefer improved old ideas instead on all-new attractions and shows. I guess its just an assumption I made based on your opinions. Apologies if I'm incorrect.

But then again, where would we have room for all-new attractions if we brought back all the old with new technology?
    Last edited by MasterGracey; 03-03-2006 at 10:46 PM.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

...I love the Billy Hill and the Hillbillies show...

I went to go see them on my birthday, and for the first time I got to sit in one of the wings next to the stage. I swear, that was the best birthday experience that I ever had...I was the full attention of these four other men! lol. Billy even played happy birthday on his fiddle for me. There's so much that happened and I could try to write it all, but in the end, what I'm trying to say is...that show, that experience, was and still is quite a special memory for me.

The Hillbillies might be replaced on day. If they do, I will be sad, but open to whatever exciting new thing may come along. Because in the end, we can't live in the past...our past is sacred, isn't it? It's more enjoyable to look back upon those fond memories, instead of having them all be the same, IMO.

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey
    It seems like you'd much prefer improved old ideas instead on all-new attractions and shows. I guess its just an assumption I made based on your opinions. Apologies if I'm incorrect.

But then again, where would we have room for all-new attractions if we brought back all the old with new technology?
    I clearly stated, multiple times, that I have nothing against bringing in new ideas and/or shows. I think you were projecting your opinion of the blog posters onto me, but apology accepted.

And I wasn't advocating actually "bringing back" all the old attractions (who'd actually want that?!?) though if there was room to bring back one or two in a radically technologically updated manner I'd absolutely go for it... I thought we were talking concepts. Is my 'writing' that unclear?

• Neep meep beep

I'm sure that the original set up of the Golden Horseshoe had a lot to do with the vaudeville that was more fresh in everyone's mind as an influence back when Disneyland opened. I've always found it a great place to relax and get out of the sun during long days, and the current Billy Hill show is really great. I'm not sure that this particular "attraction" has run its course as of yet.

• Banned User

[quote=MasterGracey]That Imagineering blog is really something isn't it?

H

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

After listening to the Golden Horseshoe Revue track on "Musical History of Disneyland" I wouldn't mind seeing it since I never experienced the attraction before. But since the cast has gotten older, perhaps Disneyland should think up another show that carries on the charm Horseshoe seems to have had.

• Zero Blockout Dates

As a kid I loved the GHR and went every time we took a trip to DL. I still go to see Billy Hill and the Hillbillies who put on a darned fine show. But I'd love to see a new Slue Foot Sue, dancing girls and the entire routine make a comeback.

Here's a nice little page about the original for the interested:
    http://www.jansworld.net/golden_hors...s/gh_revue.htm
    IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Again, I am NOT saying that nothing at the park should be changed, or that everything ever built there was a bonafide hit, but lets look at what some of those old, warn out attractions could be like if Disney had brought them "up to speed and give it its place in 2006":

Circlevision: all that film and all those projectors; what a headache, not to mention keeping all that stuff synced up. But imagine what it would be like "brought up to speed" with today's digital technology. Can you imagine standing there, surrounded by high-definition digital projections??!? OH MY GOSH!!

Adventure Through InnerSpace: Sure they put in Body Wars at WDW, but its just a simulator. That concept works excellent if you're in a space shuttle-type vehicle, but Adventure Through InnerSpace was immediate and intimate, since you were in Haunted Mansion model omnimovers. With today's technology and effects that ride would blow you away as much as it did audiences back then.

Flying Saucers: that ride was so ahead of its time that they couldn't get it to ever work reliably, which is why it was finally closed. I say "BRING IT BACK", because today they can make it work. And what a thrill to be able to pilot your own genuine hovercraft! I can't even imagine how cool that would feel!

As I said earlier, while the technology might be dated by today's standards, the concepts and shows were and are still cutting-edge. A good show and good design is timeless.
    Another vote for Speederscout.

1) Horseshoe Review - Was just inside this morning listening to the Billy People. Had a GREAT time. WHATEVER they do, they need to keep an 1800's era act going in there. If there is a way to encorporate a new Burlesque show....fine. But they better not ever try to close this place down. The audience was EATING IT UP this morning, and the folks that usually come through these doors are typically a different breed than the ones who are pushing for better effects over at the Aladdin show. It's one of the FEW things that really let you know that you're in an era gone by.

2) America the Beautiful was absolutely amazing, and even as a kid, it was easily one of my favorite attractions. For my money, it was MUCH more immersive than Soarin. It was at least 5 minutes long...maybe DOUBLE the length of Soarin if not triple. Your feet did not dangle over the edge, but the EXPANSE of the projection was amazing. It was well written, the music was superb, the shots of the car coming down Lombard street got the crowd going every time....THIS WAS AN AMAZING ATTRACTION and I would take it over a lazer shooting cartoon darkride ANY DAY OF THE WEEK!!! It broke my heart when they took this out....

Buzz is great fun, and is easily one of my favorite dark rides. But America the Beautiful was in a league of it's own. The two don't even FAINTLY begin to compare.

3) Many of you young whippersnappers don't understand how entirely cool some of these missing rides and attractions really were. Honestly...as hyper as some of us are now regarding POTC and HM, it would be like Bob Iger waltzing in and turning POTC into the new and improved Winnie the Pooh Ride. THAT's what it feels like to some of us who actually RODE the Skyway, Peoplemover, Subs, America the Beautiful, America Sings, Rocket Rods, and the list goes on. You can "diss" some of these older attractions all you want, but some of them were amazing and are still missed by thousands of us who are older than....say...30.

Not all "progress" is good...and not all change is for the better.

I better hop back into my rocking chair now...my back is beginning to hurt.
    Last edited by Mac Daddy; 05-17-2006 at 07:36 PM.

• Hooterville, USA

Let me say that I love the Billy Hill show! Now, it should only run for 5 of 7 days so that the original Billys can stay intact. That leaves 2 days a week for another show. Dana Daniels used to do a variety show on those 2 days, but Disney cut his show after something like 8 years. So, now there is time to make everyone happy! Unfortunately, Disney doesn't want to spend the money on a new show. So there you have it. Maybe after they address the biggest needs first, there will be money earmarked for more entertainment.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12