View Poll Results: To Overlay or Not to Overlay, That Is the Question

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Suspend the overlay for Halloween 2005 out of respect for the 50th!

24 46.15%
  • To heck with it! Install the overlay this year per usual!

28 53.85%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• "Retired" DL Tour Guide

Question The pressing question: Should HMH be suspended for the 50th?

This is a topic of some controversey backstage at DL. Should HMH be suspended this October out of respect for the 50th (and Walt's Original Magic Kingdom), or should we install the overlay per usual?
    -"We can see a new horizon...built on all that we have done..and our dreams begin another thousand circles 'round the sun!"
    -- Epcot: Illuminations "Reflections of Earth"

-"...Each dream that you chase, each wish you embrace can lead to a fabulous faraway place...!"
    --DCA: World Of Color

• Minion

Yes. HMH overlay should be suspended during the 50th.....The Haunted Mansion will be closed almost 6 weeks (over 3 weeks in Sept. for overlay installation and over 3 weeks in Jan. 2006 to take down the overlay). DIsneyland has undertaken ane xhaustive refurbishment schedule in the last 18 months to make sure all attractions will be operational during the 50th celebration. Also, I think Small World should not have its overlay this year for the same above reasons - 6 weeks of closure.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

I'd say to Suspend it. For at least the 50th, Disneyland should be enjoyed in it's most origional state possible.
    -Monorail Man

• Waiting 4 DCA Demolition

No it shouldnt, I think fans who come for the 50th, they would rather experience the original Disneyland experience.
    "Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE

• Senior Minion

Although I enjoy seeing the HMH,I would rather see the original. Not a big fan of T.N.B.C. One year isn't going to be that bad.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Banned User

You already have the 50th.. suspend it and dispalce all the stuf over to WDW... (we will get many upgrades out of it too...)

After the 50th.. duplicate the stuff or send it abck to DL....

• Original Mice-Chatter

#1- the overlay is only there for a few months- the celebration lasts a year. There is plenty of time to see it in it's original state. HMH is hugely popular and brings alot of people in-even the down time won't kill the 50th buzz.

I answered the poll but I don't like the way they were phrased. One implies respect, the other implies a lack of respect and a who gives a damn attitide. The poll responses themselves are highly biased.

I won't care if they do pass by the HMH this year- because I love it both ways- but it is not disrespectful to want the overlay in place.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

I voted to suspend the overlay for just this one year, but not for any question of respect. I just think that the 50th celebration may be a time when people plan trips to DLR. Some may be coming from far away and at great expense. They would probably like to see the HM in it original state. Heck, this might even be their very first trip. I'd be a little disappointed, especially if I was a HM fan, if the first (maybe only) time I got to see it..it was changed! HMH is awesome and I definately want it back next year, but just this once, for the 50th, maybe it would be best to display DL unaltered.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• wasting time

It may be the 50th anniversary but everyone has an equal opportunity to book a trip to Disneyland before or after Christmas to avoid the overlays & special shows. By the same logic, I could say Remember is inappropriate & the original Fantasy In The Sky should be performed nightly instead. Why not respect Walt's memory by temporarily bringing back the show that he enjoyed himself ? Why not canel Fantasmic during the 50th celebration and bring back the old tradition of being able to ride the Mark Twain at night ? Fantasmic wasn't around in Walt's day and back then you weren't cheated out of riding an attraction after 5pm cause of a show that completely clogs up the river. See what I mean ? Things change over time. The Haunted Mansion can be transformed into Haunted Mansion Holdiay for 3 months & guests will still enjoy the park. So I have no problem with bringing it back this year.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Minion
    It may be the 50th anniversary but everyone has an equal opportunity to book a trip to Disneyland before or after Christmas to avoid the overlays & special shows. By the same logic, I could say Remember is inappropriate & the original Fantasy In The Sky should be performed nightly instead. Why not respect Walt's memory by temporarily bringing back the show that he enjoyed himself ? Why not canel Fantasmic during the 50th celebration and bring back the old tradition of being able to ride the Mark Twain at night ? Fantasmic wasn't around in Walt's day and back then you weren't cheated out of riding an attraction after 5pm cause of a show that completely clogs up the river. See what I mean ? Things change over time. The Haunted Mansion can be transformed into Haunted Mansion Holdiay for 3 months & guests will still enjoy the park. So I have no problem with bringing it back this year.
    You know what? I think you've changed my mind! Perhaps I spoke too quick. I must say, as much as I love "normal" Disneyland throughout the year, I NEVER miss the park during the Christmas holidays because of the special things that go on during that time. In fact, thinking again about it, perhaps there would be those who would be disappointed that it was NOT happening! ("OMG...let's plan our trip over Christmas. I hear the HMH overlay is awesome!") OK...darnit...I hate it when I do this. :

Official Change Of Opinion

Let Disneyland be the everchanging, ever evolving, ever surprising and ever thrilling place Uncle Walt intended it to be.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Hooterville, USA

Maybe they could work a little overtime, to cut down on Haunted's down time. Same with Small World.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• LoisAlene

I would be extremely disappointed if they did Not install the overlay this year! I've seen the original many times, but have never been at the park during October. The last time we were at Disneyland for Christmas was Well before they started doing the Holiday Mansion. As others have said, it's only there for a relatively small amount of time.
    If they Really wanted to "respect" the 50th they'd bring back 1955 prices!

War is over if you want it...

Peace - Love - Mickey Mouse

• Original Mice-Chatter

good points-
    and come on- when DL opened it was not covered in Christmas decorations- so should they just dump the tree, lights, garlands too- to keep it "exactly" like the "original"?
    The holidays are a special tme- HMH is part of it.

• Tour Ship Pilot

I voted for a suspension of the overlays not based on content but on time, it would be nice to have everything up and running the optimal amount of time for just one year. Alot of people will be making a special trip from all parts of the world to see the park. For many it will possibly be the ONLY trip they ever make. to make such a journey and find something closed is a major disapointment. I do realise that many people here have an opurtunity to visit often and like to visit the park for such special holiday treatments,how about for just a year they take a break from it and let the rest of the world enjoy all that the park has to offer without depriving anyone for the time it takes to do the transition.
    REMOVE TAG BEFORE FLIGHT

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

The Holiday Decorations should still go up, and the Haunted Mansion is only one of only two attractions in the ENTIRE original Magic Kingdom that even receive a Holiday makeover. People will be expecting the holiday transformations, and for ardent Disney Fans, we tend to expect, and rightfully so, even more amazing holiday transformations each year.

In addition, the attractions will be down for set up and take down only during the typically slower parts of the year. In addition most people know that when visiting DL, there is a chance that certain attractions may not be available. Now, If DL made over 10 different attractions, and close each of them for similar amounts of time, I might say no. But by limiting it to two or perhaps three Holiday Makeovers, both done on such a fantastic scale, is certainly something that should continue, especially when DL is trying to show off it's very best. Haunted Mansion Holiday and It's a Small World Holiday are two of it's very best attractions!

In fact , I would almost expect that DL surprise us with Giving a Holiday makeover to another attraction during the 50th. And while I'm at it, I would even expect to see an upgraded Holiday Parade this year too!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast