• No Longer The Candidate

Trip Report 3/5/06

We took a quick trip on Sunday arriving about 5:00.

1) They finally replaced the sun bleached signs for the parking structure. I had been surprised on earlier trips that they hadn't done so earlier since this is one of the first things people see.

2) We were actually greeted by a real friendly ticket taker at DL. She took our passes and said "Welcome Back."

3) They are really pushing "The First 50 Years." They had somebody passing out little gold tickets out front like it was a special event. The first greeter insisted that we view the Walt mosaic. We didn't want to be rude so we did even though we had done so before. We were only there because my son had missed the Space Mountain model on a previous visit and were glad that she had moved away from the door and didn't see us leave before the movie!

4) Space Mountain fast passes were already gone for the day, so I picked up some to Buzz before heading over to DCA to get another set of FPs before going over to the Whitewater Cafe.

5) Unfortunately we didn't find any MiceChatters at Whitewater. Ordered the kids their meals and waited quite a while for the food. One of the workers must have heard the kids complain because he came around and asked how long we had been waiting. When I told him about 15 minutes he apologized and went back to the kitchen. He came back with apologies and free desserts. I thanked him and told him it was no problem. He returned a minute later with three big cookies and thanked me again for waiting. The food came a couple of minutes later and it was real hot. The order must have just gotten lost in the kitchen.

6) Returned to DCA to use our FPs for Mullhuland Madness. I know that people complain about this being a prefab ride, but there aren't very many places you can ride a wild mouse anymore, so I enjoy it. I would probably work better as a dark ride and wonder if it would fit into the Millionaire building. Something is wrong with one of the brakes because we stopped rather abruptly heading back into the station and watched as it did the same thing to other cars as we exited.

7) My 9 year old has been showing an interest in drawing lately, so we took him to the Animation Academy. This is the first time we have done this and were really impressed. Even my Mickey ended up looking like Mickey - or at least his lopsided brother.

8) Headed back over to DL to see Fantasmic. It was surprisingly crowded (doesn't anybody watch the Academy Awards?) Found a clear spot behind a light tower. I guess people didn't realize that it would rise. We were right behind three cast members in Director's chairs, so the viewing wasn't optimal, but we enjoyed ourselves.

9) Figured we would take a ride on Pirates before the rehab. Since everyone was crossing the bridge, we cut to the right and hopped the chains right before the entrance. A janitorial CM saw us and told me that we couldn't cut into the line. I explained to him that there was no line, but he said we were cutting in front of anybody who was coming in first. You could see strait through the tunnel and nobody else was coming. He apologized but said he couldn't let me cut the line. I pointed out that there was a huge crowd of people blocking the entrance and he said that I would have to go over the bridge and come back around. At that point I gave up and followed his directions. Of coarse, there was no line at all and we walked right onto the ride.

10) Maybe going for one last ride on Pirates wasn't a great idea as we exited just as the fireworks ended. It probably took us almost an hour to get back to the parking structure. We shared our tram row with a Muslim family with the wife wearing the robe that covered everything except for a slit for her eyes. I guess it is a small world after all.

Re: Trip Report 3/5/06

nice trip report !!!! glad you were able to ride on pirates and i can't wait to see it when the ride will reopens .
    HKDL : Done !!!

• A Pirate's life for me!

Thanks for the report.

You're probably one of the last guests to enjoy the "semi-old" Pirates.

Hold on to those memories!

• I'm your huckleberry.

We must have just missed you! My daughter and I got there for the noon meet, and left around 5pm.

(The MC'ers were at Whitewater around 1-ish).

It was surpisingly crowded yesterday, but still a great day at the park. I noticed the "pushers" in front of 50 First Years on Friday. One of the guys almost turned backflips when we decided to go in!!!

Glad you guys had a great time!

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• No Longer The Candidate

Quote Originally Posted by a_hyperbole
    We must have just missed you! My daughter and I got there for the noon meet, and left around 5pm.

(The MC'ers were at Whitewater around 1-ish).

It was surpisingly crowded yesterday, but still a great day at the park. I noticed the "pushers" in front of 50 First Years on Friday. One of the guys almost turned backflips when we decided to go in!!!

Glad you guys had a great time!

The kids both had baseball practice yesterday, so we couldn't leave for the park until around 4. Can't wait until we can hang out again. Becca and I had fun last time.

I'm glad it didn't come across like I was complaining too much because we did have a great time. We continue to be surprised at the size the crowds at this time of year.

Cool Trip Report!

We were also at DLR yesterday - a sweet surprize trip courtesy of my boyfriend!

We arrived late Saturday night, hoping to stay at our favorite hotel (Super 8 on DL DR - it's not a Hilton, but we've stayed there so many times, we are comfortable there, and the staff is great) - but they were full up due to their construction/repairs of the recent fire. Call us crazy, but we then stayed at our second favorite hotel of the area; another Super 8 in Commerce.

We got off to a late start on Sunday morning, so we didn't get into the park until around 1pm. We parked on the top floor (Minnie) of M&F for the first time. We were expecting DLR to be busy, but were still shocked by the sight of all the people waiting for the tram.

Entering DL, the first thing we did was to get a FP for Splash. While waiting, we headed back to Adventureland to see the Aladdin & Jasmine storytime show. Being a semi-professional performer myslef, I was quite impressed by the energy, enthusiasm, and chemistry of the cast. The kids seemed to have a great time, and I personally enjoyed the storyteller's performance. I'm also a fan of the Aladdin show @ DCA, and there is such a great pool of talent at DLR.

Since the park was pretty busy - we mostly just walked around and looked at little shops. We hit Pirates and it's good that the lines moves fast because it seemed to be long all day. Is it known to the average guest about the Referb? Or were these all AP's and Pirate fans? Anyway, we wanted to get a few shots of parts that we knew were going away, and saw that they had already removed the two pirates lifting the chest of treasure at the end.

We wandered over to DCA to finally get our first ride on Monsters. The wait seemed so long...we probably waited almost an hour. While it was a very good C+/D- Ticket ride, the wait was NOT worth it. Whew!

Back to DLR to use our FP for Space mountain at 9:10pm. At this time, the wait time was 100 minutes! I can't believe that people are okay with spending over 1 1/2 hrs in line. FP is the ONLY way to see this attraction, which was fabulous! The ride was smooth, the lighting on the inside was appropriate, and the ride itself was thrilling, but not enought to make me regret any previous consumed items. Excellent work. The first thing I said after the ride was, "Thank you, Matt Ouimet!"

That's about it. I was impressed that we were able to cover so many attractions, despite the fact that we were only on Disney property for a such a short time, and there were so many people enjoying the park.

Altodette

• there's always my way...

The park was insanely busy on sunday, I was there with some family and I think we got on a max of four rides. We stayed until about 8pm and left before the mad rush of people to the equally insane tram ride back to the Mickey n Friends.

Does anyone else have a prob with that stupid MnF parking tram? I think they need to rethink the number of trams and the busy hours of the night.

At around 10pm the tram lines become a bar room brawl fest waiting to happen and these CM's are not big enough to handle the type of crazy people with there "ive been on my feet all day" attitude.

Anyways I did have a good time and I met a couple of cool Mice Chatters, always a pleasure.
    Come to the dark side,
    we have cookies.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DifrntDrmr
    We took a quick trip on Sunday arriving about 5:00.

3) They are really pushing "The First 50 Years." They had somebody passing out little gold tickets out front like it was a special event. The first greeter insisted that we view the Walt mosaic. We didn't want to be rude so we did even though we had done so before. We were only there because my son had missed the Space Mountain model on a previous visit and were glad that she had moved away from the door and didn't see us leave before the movie!
    I Forgot to mention this on Hyperbole's report from last Friday. Last Friday was the first and only time I've ever gone to "The First 50 Years" and seen it PACKED! I'm talkin people sitting in every row all the way up to the back!!

As it turned out, these were the people who had just arrived in a huge downpour and were looking for a place to get in out of the rain. Must have been fun for the poor CM's who usually do their spiel for 5 to 10 people at a time.

• The Dark Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.DooDah
    The park was insanely busy on sunday, I was there with some family and I think we got on a max of four rides. We stayed until about 8pm and left before the mad rush of people to the equally insane tram ride back to the Mickey n Friends.

Does anyone else have a prob with that stupid MnF parking tram? I think they need to rethink the number of trams and the busy hours of the night.

At around 10pm the tram lines become a bar room brawl fest waiting to happen and these CM's are not big enough to handle the type of crazy people with there "ive been on my feet all day" attitude.

Anyways I did have a good time and I met a couple of cool Mice Chatters, always a pleasure.
    We also went on Sunday, and noted on the tram ride in that we were going quite a bit slower than usual. We guessed that perhaps with all the turnover that they have new CM's driving the trams and they aren't as confident with driving. I know on the way out we saw one tram bypass another to come get those of us waiting to leave. The CM's in the tram due to pull forward to take us were having a heck of a time getting a wheelchair boarded. We saw this coming in as well, but they got the job done before being 'lapped' by the tram behind them.

All of this points to less experienced tram folks, I'm guessing, and it definitely added to the delays.
    Mr. Dark
    Writer, Disney geek, madman.