Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

The Top Ten Most Obscure Facts about Disneyland

Name what you think are the top ten least known facts about Disneyland. In this thread you can name what you believe to be the most obscure facts about Disneyland or anything therein.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Re: The Top Ten Most Obscure Facts about Disneyland

On Splash Mountain, where the Mole and Rabbit mothers are singing, the mushrooms and the walls are squishy. I know! Who'dda thunk it? I always thought they were like cement or something...

• Circle of Ancients

Well I'm sure we all know this one, but most people don't:

On the Pooh Ride there is a tribute to the Country Bears. The Moose, Deer and Buffalo heads are through the door just after the dream sequence.

• Rock Star Minion

1. Sometimes, you can't see Tinkerbell during the fireworks, because the lights are not pointed at her. She is hidden by darkness.
    2. There are speakers in Sleeping Beauty Castle for the fireworks show. They are shrouded.
    3. Ursula said "tentacles" during Fantasmic!, though it wasn't clearly expressed.
    4. If you look real hard, you can see an Eeyore parking lot sign. It is faint.
    5. There's a place on TSI where you can smoke pot or have nookie without being discovered. It is remote or secluded.
    6. Some people call it "Pirates of the Ca-RIB-be-an," while others call it Pirates of the Ca-rib-BE-an. Depends on which vowel is unstressed.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

The steam trains in the queue for BTMRR are from the Don Knott's film "Hot Lead and Cold Feet."

• Minion

I'm not sure if they're still there, but originally at least on each side of the Frontierland entrance there were artificial tree stumps, answering the unanswered question of where the settlers who built Frontierland got their lumber.

• Iron-Clad Allie

!) Walt shed a tear as he watched the first guests enter Disneyland on opening day, along with Annette Funicello from his mainstreet quarters.

2) Richard Nixon's excitement and use of an expletive upon casting his eyes on the sub marines and the sub lagoon for the fiest time.

3) Some of the Haunted Mansion figures are designed in the image of imagineers.

4) An underground world exists beneath Disneyland.

5) Walt Disney wanted a place in Disneyland where he could entertain corporate executives away from all the crowds, and this idea was the genesis for Club 33, although Walt never saw it completed. Club members and their guests enter at 33 Rue Royale, one of the doors on a street in New Orleans Square. From the ground level, they can either climb a staircase or ride in an ornate elevator to the second floor, where the restaurant is located. At the top of the stairs sits a Victorian phone booth used in the movie "The Happiest Millionaire" starring Fred MacMurray; a harpsichord is found in one room. The rooms are decorated in Victorian style, matching the New Orleans Square theme.

6) There is a half-court size basketball court in the Matterhorn. There's actually lots of room in there, as it is mostly empty space within, surrounded by structural steel and a concrete skin.

7) Dess Parker got stuck on a pack mule that ran amuck throuout Disneyland.

8) Walt Disney once built a chocolate mountain attraction that, to his dismay, melted, dtunk and attracted incects and birds.

9)
    Kathryn Beaumont, who provided the voice of Alice in Wonderland in the 1951 film, returned to do additional dialogue for the Alice in Wonderland ride at Disneyland when it was remodeled in 1982. On the left here's a 1982 photo of Kathryn and John Debney, who composed new incidental music for the attraction and oversaw the recording of the new soundtrack On the right, Kathryn as she appeared at the NFFC convention in 2002..

10)
    Here's the old (pre-1982) Fantasyland:

Note the position of Dumbo to the left. It now sits where the Pirate ship was. Same with the teacups. They are now around the end of the right side of the castle, and the carrousel has been moved back about half-way toward the teacups in this photo.
    There is a time capsule, or Time Castle, buried in the forecourt of the castle. It was placed there during special ceremonies on the 40th Anniversary of Disneyland on July 17, 1995.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Basking in birthday love

OMG giant picture!

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior
    4) An underground world exists beneath Disneyland.
    No, not really. Maybe a room or two, but that's not a whole "world," as WDW's Magic Kingdom apparently has.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• CM for 4 years!

1. The Blue Bayou accepts Priority Seating

That is number one on the list, I DON'T care what anyone else says. Because man, so many questions, every day.

"You guys take reseervations?"

"I didn't know you took reservations"
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by sediment
    No, not really. Maybe a room or two, but that's not a whole "world," as WDW's Magic Kingdom apparently has.
    Several rooms and an underground tunnel system that extends all the way to the Disneyland Hotel. I've seen it. That's what I define as an underground world.

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior
    Several rooms and an underground tunnel system that extends all the way to the Disneyland Hotel. I've seen it. That's what I define as an underground world.
    That's the first time I've ever heard of a tunnel going to the Disneyland Hotel.
    I'm pretty sure the only tunnel that exists under Disneyland is the one that goes from behind the old Skyway building in Tomorrowland to the Tomorrowland Stage.
    At one point I was told that the aforementioned tunnel went all the way to Coke Corner on Main Street, but I think that was eventually disproved.
    But a tunnel from Disneyland to the DH? I don't see how that's possible considering that the "tunnel" would have to go under Disneyland Drive!
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• Oh, the cleverness of me.

Quote Originally Posted by Circarama
    That's the first time I've ever heard of a tunnel going to the Disneyland Hotel.
    I'm pretty sure the only tunnel that exists under Disneyland is the one that goes from behind the old Skyway building in Tomorrowland to the Tomorrowland Stage.
    At one point I was told that the aforementioned tunnel went all the way to Coke Corner on Main Street, but I think that was eventually disproved.
    But a tunnel from Disneyland to the DH? I don't see how that's possible considering that the "tunnel" would have to go under Disneyland Drive!
    That tunnel actually goes past the tomorrowland stage and all the way to the back of Ariel's meet and greet location. so it spans the entire length of tomorrowland
    <o>

• Rock Star Minion

Sounds like some great stories about the underground world.
    No, it's not enough to be considered a "world," as soon as I come up with a reasonable definition of the term.
    "Undergroundedness" at Disneyland that I know of:
    1. Kitchen Area in NOS. Kevin Yee can vouch for this.
    2. The queue in Rocket Rods went from Circlevision to former "Peoplemover" entrance.
    3. Indy Jones queue goes "underground," under the berm. Same for the Haunted Mansion.
    4. There is storage and staging areas "under"(?) TSI for Fantasmic!

If anyone with some reasonable credibility can vouch for "underground world" in any reasonable sense of the word, please let us know. I ain't talking worms or anthills, either. We've gone over this before -- the TSI to mainland tunnel thread comes to mind -- and no one could verify it.

• Iron-Clad Allie

This little debate has dug itself into a hole. How great it would be to have the opportunity to personally explore the area beneath. That's the credible varification that I am looking for. Regardless of one's opinion, it is a fascinating subject.

Does anybody know of anyone who has explored the underground area in it's entirety?
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 03-07-2006 at 12:41 AM.

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast