Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Here to change the world

Re: Any AA's in Nemo?

Quote Originally Posted by squinky
    That's how they do the 20,000 Leagues ride in Tokyo. It's like a regular dark ride, but there's water in the window so they can blow bubbles at key points in the ride to make it seem like you're underwater. Supposedly it works fairly well.

They're not doing that for this ride, though, because they'd need an entirely new ride system, which would be especially hard because this one is already in place.
    Oh cool, I didn't know that about Tokyo. One day, I'd love to visit the parks there. I'm a huge Jules Verne and HG Wells fan! I was halfway kidding about doing that too, but that's neat that the idea has already been thought of and incorporated into a ride

Sigh... Maybe Disney will blow me away with this one... I just got even more depressed when I saw SeaDisney's Tower.

I really don't think disney would cheapin up and just project nemo onto a flat sufface. That would be lame. If that were the case than YES, we would just be watching a movie underwater. (ps. Bulbs on projectors don't go out. The whole projector has to be replaced, I work with them)

Think Maddame Leota on the HM. She now flys around the room, and the face is still projected onto the blank face from outside the ball.

What if. Nemo is a blank fish being projected onto as well. Nemo can swim around and the facial expressions will be a movie.

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

I like the idea of projections more than animatronics in this sense. I feel that projections allow them to change/add things, I imagine projected effects are probably better maintenance wise that underwater animatronics and possibly even DRY animatronics, and I think that projections allow them to keep to the believability of the characters. I mean, none of these character SHOULD be overly large and they would have to be in terms of the ride. That, and I feel the potential and range of computer animation is better than animatronics. In THIS specific instance I don't feel that Disney is necessarily cheaping out, but rather, just working in a profitable franchise and using it to introduce a new idea in terms of technology.

Thumbs up Re: Any AA's in Nemo?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain EO
    Oh cool, I didn't know that about Tokyo. One day, I'd love to visit the parks there. I'm a huge Jules Verne and HG Wells fan! I was halfway kidding about doing that too, but that's neat that the idea has already been thought of and incorporated into a ride
    Should you ever get the chance, you absolutely must check out Tokyo DisneySea for its Mysterious Island (aka Jules Verne Land):

It's even better in person.

The two rides in this section of the park, "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" and "Journey to the Center of the Earth" are E-Tickets to the core. And yes, Leagues is a dry for wet ride, sort of like Peter Pan but in a submarine.

• Here to change the world

Sooo awesome!! Thanks for the pic! I have some friends whose family lives in Japan, next time I visit I'll have to convince them to take me I also love how Space Mountain is like From the Earth to the Moon, with the victorian canon shooting you into space

Back on topic: I actually think the projections would look great. Did anyone see the Gorillaz at the Grammy Awards? They looks awesome, and they were projections. Plus, Finding Nemo was already 3d, and since Pixar and Disney are one in the same, they have access to the models used, which means absolutely flawless looking animation, since it's the same model used in the movie

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by jawnjarvis
    I really don't think disney would cheapin up and just project nemo onto a flat sufface. That would be lame. If that were the case than YES, we would just be watching a movie underwater. (ps. Bulbs on projectors don't go out. The whole projector has to be replaced, I work with them)

Think Maddame Leota on the HM. She now flys around the room, and the face is still projected onto the blank face from outside the ball.

What if. Nemo is a blank fish being projected onto as well. Nemo can swim around and the facial expressions will be a movie.
    Also much like Buzz Lughtyear's face on the Buzz animatronic in the queue to Astro Blasters.

Sounds like it could work, but not sure if I'd like it.

I think projections are just a better thing for this - Nemo is going to be swimming around with us underwater - having animatronics would severely limit the movement Nemo and friends would be able to do as they would have to stay in place, otherwise there would be rods moving them around (see: Pirannah in the Jungle Cruise), or wires in their boxes, or something. Quality, full-movement animatronics aren't really logical for perky little clown fish and the extremely energetic Dory.

Projections will probably be able to create a much more entertaining, or even interactive attraction and since this is supposedly newly-developed technology, certainly more of a "wow" factor is to be expected.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Banned User

A few thoughts from the other Nemo-expectant Coast...

Months ago, Dory went missing:

She was large, made out of metal, and seemingly indesctructible. I have a sneaking suspicion she was taken to be used for a mold - my personal experience with molds/casting is that the molds break easier than the items made from them. She still has not returned.

What, if anything, will thye do in the Living Seas main tank? Unlike DL, it's full of live animals, which complex animatronics are a risky gamble, the projections will most likely be used there.

However, there is talk of the ride-path being rennovated and expanded, creating a "dry" area for the vehicles at Epcot. Being completely dry and like any other show-scene in any other omnimover, I highly suspect they'd use an animatronic or two.

With both of these attractions being developed at the same time, with the same general basis, I assume DL will also recieve similiar show scenes, and in this case, animatronics.

They're going to use glass walls and have it dry behind it? Thats kina a letdown for me at least. I know for most people it doesn't make a difference, but for me, meh. Well, on the bright side it could mean an awesome new Sea Serpent. And isn't the underwater volcano still suppose to be there? So not EVERYTHING will be behind glass?

• Mountain Dew User

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Captain EO
    Maybe the ride won't actually be underwater? They'll have a layer of water that's only about 6 inches in a pool above the lagoon. Then the glass portholes will be filled with water, so it looks like you're seeing everything underwater when actually it's all dry.

Or not
    It's funny I was just thinking the exact same thing.

• Haunted Mansion Holiday

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Cricket
    Disneyland makes that in a couple of minutes when you think about admission into the park...
    yes but realize more than one is needed. Think of it like this

Lets say they are going to have 10 showscenes with the use of the projectors. Than lets think about it

$35,000 (Price of projector(s))
    x 10 (# of projectors)
    ________
    $350,000 (total before CA tax)
    + 28,875 (CA Tax)
    _________
    $378,875 (total after tax

So the projectors alone are nearing 1/2 mil.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Quote Originally Posted by Lacrossedragon
    Still, it's still a kinda cheap way out. Sure the projectors are expensive, but they still are way cheaper than some nice AAs.
    Can you get that in writing? Do you have the actual numbers?

This is new technology...it's what Tomorrowland is all about. Have a little faith. After all, you can't criticize what you haven't seen

• e komo mai

Quote Originally Posted by Jack's Return
    Still... Disneyland can make that in a day.
    People pay $60 bucks each to get in...
    Doing the math, I'm thinking the projectors won't break the Mickey bank...

• Haunted Mansion Holiday

still it is quite expensive

• I'm your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack's Return
    1/2 a million is nothing! And, I would be willing to bet there will be a LOT more projectors than just 10.

Does anyone know what the budget for this refurb is? I'm willing to bet its in the neighborhood of $10mm+

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesnít make anything anymore, but thatís not exactly true. Weíre the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast