20 44.44%
  • I can care less

2 4.44%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• ...TWO BITS!

Critter Country Expansion Idea

[EDITED]

I'd like to get your opinions on this idea, please:

I was watching "Brother Bear" and thought what if some of those beautiful landscapes from the film was put into the back of Rivers of America as themeing for the pathway some people would like to connect Critter Country with Frontierland (and possibly Valley of Villainy). And this themed pathway would satisfy the people who think Disneyland doesn't need a new land to connect CC and FL behind ROA. SO...

1) A Pedistrian pathway runs under the train tracks and both the pedistrians and guests aboard the train look into a wide and glamours view of hotsprings, glaicers, hills, rivers, waterfalls, etc. (All of this on the north side of the tracks. Meaning the cattle-themed passenger train cars will have to be retooled to make all the seating face foward. So when the trains pass, on their left is the "brother bear" inspired landscape and their right are the "grand canyon" and "dinosaur" diaramas.) This would be outdoors.

2) If choosen to be indoors like the grand canyon and dinosaur diaramas, pedestrians either be directly under the train tracks, one level below the tracks but not directly under (pedestrians have a more close up landscape view while the train gets a higher view). OR the landscaping is inbetween the train tracks and pedestrian walkway. Either indoors or outdoors.

3) Another option is either having AA bears, moose, rabbits, rams, birds,squirrels, mammoths, etc being indoors or outdoors. Or have real animals inside this landscape. If the exhibit is between the walkway and trains, to move the animals in and out of this live exhibit, they go under the walkway and up to backstage. But most likely, Disney won't option for live animals.

So basically, from the train ride, you can have a sense of the now gone Frontierland attraction "Nature's Wonderland".

MISC:

The above was my main point in this thread. But I would also like to share some other CC expansion ideas, if you don't mind (clockwise from CC, behind ROA, and back of Thunder Ranch).

1) Wilderness Trail- Take a leisurely walk through the wilderness and spot some animal friends. Either the animals are carved & painted statues like this: http://www.tdrfan.com/tdl/critter_co...o/critters.jpg and/or realistic looking statues. Experience the great outdoors walking through streams, forestry, waterfalls, and Man's campsite. The songs and music of Bambi, Fox & the Hound, Robin Hood, and Brother Bear complete the atmosphere. Maybe through a winter wonderland as well? Or have the winter wonderland come during the holidays? Located after the Winnie-the-Pooh shop and running through backstage and return relatively near the train tracks. This is so you can wind through backstage and continue going around the Rivers of America. I'm not sure if my location proposal would fit. Another option is start the pathway from the Canoe dock & bottom floor of Hungry Bear Restaurant, walking the riverfront of ROA, and then under the train tracks to continue your wilderness exploration and discovery.

2) I think there's enough room behind the Pooh show building to make a new dark ride here. Not sure what yet. Anyone have any original ideas?

3) The return of a new and improved "Country Bears" show. But I would have 1 showroom instead of 2. I haven't seen WDW's version to be honest. I'd like to see a different show. Not a direct copy of an old show program. Sure keep the songs in, but make it different. I always felt parts of the "Vacation Hoedown" was slow and made me sleepy. Then again, I was a little kid when I last saw it...

4) Robin Hood?- Wonder through Sherwood Forest and play in Robin's camp. (Playhouse & Meet-n-Greet???).

5) Maybe a maze here. Not sure what to theme it. Maybe just more wilderness themeing. And probably wrap around the Robin Hood play area.

6) Cabin/ craftsman or cavern themed vegetarian snack shop with limited seating. No themeing or Bambi/Thumper theme.

*7) Pocahontas show similar to DAK's?? Guests sit infront of a stage. The stage is closed with leaves. When the show starts, the curtain of leaves track around the guests and enclose them away from the outside world. Guests realize they're enclosed inside GrandMother Willow's leaves. And the rest of the stage looks similar to the one in DAK. Maybe put this in some other future DLR park expansion.

*8) "The Magic of Brother Bear" transplated here?? Or I have this other crazy idea. A Brother Bear AA musical show similar to Country Bears. When the show starts, the northern lights are projected above the guests (similar to D-MGM's Little Mermaid show). Perhaps also the beginning be similar to Knott's Mystery Lodge. Anyway, you listen to the music of brother bear, they are joined by other critters and they sing their tune. E.G., "Little April Showers", "When You're The Best of Friends", etc.

*Personally, I don't like ideas # 7 & 8 much being in Critter Country. But it's out here so I can find out what you think.

9) Proposed Brother Bear inspired landscape themeing. [Also the BB wall handprint would be transplanted here from DCA. You know the thing that tells you what animal you are? And when guests enter a glacier ice cave scene, the walls are cold and wet similar to what is done at Sea World's Artic attraction.] If the trains and pedistrians go indoors for the BB landscape, of course the outside would be themed as a rocky cavern.

The ideas in #9 with the brackets I don't like much. The hand thing can stay in DCA while the ice wall can go to another DLR park expansion.

10) To get to Froniterland, the guests could probably walk from a level lower than the train and walk up to Big Thunder Trail (similar to how CC works). Or like Knott's, have guests stop and let the train pass through. In FL, they would be a closed FL train station depot, Woody's Roundup, and Little Patch of Heaven Petting Farm and BBQ(?) But I think DL would probably not want to hire CM to stop guests from crossing the tracks so they'll go with CC style. If the tracks do end up as a bridge, instead of themeing it to woodwork, theme it as smooth rock work. See the Arizonia and Utah pics in the 1st link below for reference. Continue the smooth rock formations into the tunnel that the trains pass through to get to Toontown station.

HAHA, then this rockwork can transition as the Cave of Wonders theme into Valley of Villainy

PICS FOR INSPIRATION: http://www.amath.washington.edu/~ber...pinelakes.html
    http://www.rdonath.com/Yellowstone%2...d%20Tetons.htm
    http://www.swisseduc.ch/stromboli/pe...ldlife-en.html

QUESTION:

http://www.terraserver.microsoft.com...Lat=33.8139887

What's the small building above the Splash Mountain building? The Pooh shop? And what's the large building above the small building in question? Pooh ride?
    Last edited by filmfreak11; 03-09-2006 at 10:18 PM.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Banned User

Re: Critter Country Expansion Idea

um...interesting ideas!!! everybody here's wonderful- so creative!

I have been thinking about this idea aswell and I think that having a land that connects Critter Country and Frontierland is an awsome idea! The only rides that I have come up with for an expansion are a Bambi trails(like you) and a Pocahontas ride(POTC style). I really like your ideas except for the Fox and the Hound ride because that movie made me really sad . I can't bear to hear "will always be friends forever".

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

I have no problem with the pathway...it sounds well executed and peaceful...but why do all the rides have to be using charecters? And with the NorthWestern themeing so strong in DCA (and rumored to be growing) does DL need a NW area?

And what is the Micechat fascination with moving the grand canyon and primeval whirl diaramas to Frontierland?

• ...TWO BITS!

scoobygang7144, sorry if i unconsious borrowed that Bambi trail from you. I don't have anything planned for Fox & the Hound. I'm still not sure about the "new" Brother Bear show. I also thought about a Pocahontas flume ride but more close to Splash Mountain using wooden canone themeing. But I think it would be better for a different park. I have something in mind, but I haven't developed that idea well enough yet.

tloolgb, to be honest, I would also like to have something original instead of based on movies. I'm not too good at thinking of original attractions NOT based on a movie. Besides, WDI seems to be doing alot of movie-based attractions lately anyways. With the exception of Everest, Test Track, and Mission to Mars. I don't know if DL needs a Northwestern area. It possibly could. And the Brother Bear doesn't have to be stamped on the landscape theme. It could be run without BB and still be strong. I'm not here to move grand canyon and dinosaurs to Frontierland. Based off of that idea, I thought why not just build something new to add on to what train riders can view. So GC and DINOS can stay where they are.

BTW, I forgot to mention a Bambi or Thumper Vegetrian Snack Shop between the Bambi trail and Sherwood Forest. And Pocahontas show should go between BB landscape and Indian Village. To act as a transition between lands.

For FRONTIERLAND: make the unused "Nature's Wonderland" and Cascade Peak into a Sailing Ship Columbia and Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes dock. I believe Tony Baxter actually had this idea as well.

Wouldn't it be neat if somehow Disney put in the canoes in the show for Pocahontas? Like what they have at the WDW version?

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

I love your ideas, but I wouldn't go too heavy on the Brother Bear stuff, since it didn't hit too big.

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict
    I love your ideas, but I wouldn't go too heavy on the Brother Bear stuff, since it didn't hit too big.
    I agree, good idea but I wouldn't want to see any Brother Bear stuff. Doesn't it have an area at DCA?

• The one, the only...

I don't know if you are old enough to remember Bear Country. I think that the area had a lot of charm and felt more cohesive than the current Critter Country.

One of the problems of this part of the park is that there is no flow. People have to back track to get to the rest of the park. People don't like backtracking. That is why Walt's original idea of a wheel and hub works so well.

I believe that what killed Country Bears was the location. As they say about the success or failure of a business, it is determined by LOCATION! I think the same about attractions.

To really improve that park of the park, someone has to figure out how to move people from that corner over toward Fantasyland. I almost think that a bridge is needed there that would take people over to Tow Sawyer island and then over another bridge to the Big Thunder Ranch area. I know that seems improbably since both the Mark Twain and Columbia would have to pass under it, but it would give you quite a view.

Maybe instead of a bridge, a tunnel would be a better idea. Or Maybe even an underground ride that one boarded then exited on the other side of the river.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

Good grief, everyone has all these big plans. Where is the money going to come from to do all this?

Pass the cost onto the customer, eh?

Are you all planning on paying 3 and 4 times more for admission to finance these plans?

Nobody's going to cut into executive salaries, which are only going to rise.

• ...TWO BITS!

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict
    Quote Originally Posted by C-HOX
    I agree, good idea but I wouldn't want to see any Brother Bear stuff. Doesn't it have an area at DCA?
    I thought about transplating DCA's "The Magic of Brother Bear" and that cave wall thing you do with your hand. The film I think broke even. It's probably best to keep them in DCA until WDI figures out what to do next with those.

But I really think they landscape you see in the film is strong enough to be built. The actual characters don't have to be in it and nothing BB has to be themed. Well, maybe the music for atmosphere can stay. And realistic AA animals could be used in the landscape.

I don't really have a strong feel for BB in DL. But then again, Alice in Wonderland didn't do well, yet that's in the park... or could you argue it became a classic after time passed...

-Jurassic Park

Quote Originally Posted by filmfreak11
    scoobygang7144, sorry if i unconsious borrowed that Bambi trail from you.
    Oh, you didn't. I think I read it on another that and it sounded good. I originally wanted a dark ride for it but then I thought that that ride would be sad.

You guys seem to think there's this endless cash flow. A huge endowment and trust for all these projects ala J. Paul Getty.

• Super saucy pixie!

I think they're great ideas! The area has such potential to use a lot of Disney films and the area should be expanded I think, absolutely. Besides Tomorrowland, I always felt it to be the next land that needed some expansion/updating.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Quote Originally Posted by Pisces
    You guys seem to think there's this endless cash flow. A huge endowment and trust for all these projects ala J. Paul Getty.
    Dude, chill. This is one of those "what if" threads, not "Disney had better do this and they can but they're just sitting on their bee-hinds!" This is what message boards are all about. Discussing ideas and opinions

Oh, and I love the lanscaping ideas (one of DL's greatest draws is beauty), just so long as the characters from the movie aren't really present

• Silly Bird?

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb
    I have no problem with the pathway...it sounds well executed and peaceful...but why do all the rides have to be using charecters? And with the NorthWestern themeing so strong in DCA (and rumored to be growing) does DL need a NW area?
    I agree that the NW themeing should be clipped in Disneyland and reserved for DCA (who will need it considering the lack of thematic material for the Adventure of California).

How about a North Eastern Theme? Like Maine. Imagine a show building, like the size of a couple airplane hangars, that encloses a misty and dank harbor town the likes you might read about in Moby Dick. Here is the potential for another original attraction, perhaps about the tall tales of american folklore, or the american revolution, or whaling (but not the bloody and violent kind you read about in Moby Dick). And you could have very unique shops and eateries, beautiful foggy kodak moments, and the building lighting could be set to go up and down with the sun and moonlight. On one end of this building you enter at the current backstage entrance to the left of Pooh's show building. The show buildling would take up the backstage area there, bordered by Ball road, the parking structure tram route and more backstage further north, and the exit/other entrance would be at the festival arena.

Having just looked once more at the satellite pic of this, there is a massive amount of space, I think enough for a new land and an expansion of frontierland with possibly two large rides.
    "You know it's a funny thing, but when I drink too many Gin and Tonics I start to glow in the dark."
    A. Trebek, Jeopardy, aired 7/15/2010

SHAMELESS PLUG- Check out my gallery of original ride music...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GLbC...layer_embedded

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast