Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• back in Austin

travel agent vs. package deal vs. buy air and hotel separately

I'm planning a trip to DL the last week of April. I live in Texas and was wondering what the other poor unfortunate souls out there do who live far from CA and they're planning a trip to DLR. Do you try to find air and hotel packaged together? Do you use a travel agent?

I'll be staying at either the Candy Cane Inn or the HoJo Anaheim and won't be renting a car.

•   
    • Minion

Re: travel agent vs. package deal vs. buy air and hotel separately

Quote Originally Posted by edtsch
    I'm planning a trip to DL the last week of April. I live in Texas and was wondering what the other poor unfortunate souls out there do who live far from CA and they're planning a trip to DLR. Do you try to find air and hotel packaged together? Do you use a travel agent?

I'll be staying at either the Candy Cane Inn or the HoJo Anaheim and won't be renting a car.
    No travel agent... No... No, no, no, no....

Do your own booking on line unless you are set on getting a package deal, which there are some perks... And I would say it depends on your budget...

Also how many people are you traveling with... and are you traveling with kids... these are also factors that I would consider, because then a package may make more sense...

If I do it, I would go Southwest, booked by myself on line direct - fly in to Ontario take the 57 down this will save you on airfare and you aren't really going to save that much more drive time...

Book your hotel through AAA on line usually you can get a great deal through their web server...

Now if you had kids, and everything has been budgeted... And you want to make it easy... Go with a package fly into John Wayne... It will save you hassle of trying to plan, and companies love to get the kids involved in the packages...
    Check out my other blog:

• back in Austin

no kids. just me and one or two other adults.

? "fly in to Ontario take the 57 down" ? 'fraid I don't get it.

I wasn't planning on using a travel agent. I guess I was wondering if anyone out there had had a good experience that way. My main quandary is whether to try to book the air and hotel together or not. Last time I booked them separately, I think.

Three letters... AAA. Their prices are good and you will get unlimited Fast Passes.
    You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.

• Banned User

no kids. just me and one or two other adults.

I wasn't planning on using a travel agent. I guess I was wondering if anyone out there had had a good experience that way. My main quandary is whether to try to book the air and hotel together or not. Last time I booked them separately, I think.
    I have done the travel agent 2 times, and loved it each time. why? because when I go it seems to be the buisyest time and the motels are hard to come by, usually some big convention not to mention spring break.
    I priced my package out my self, thru expedia, and all of it seperate, and I would have saved 150.00 ....BUT.... I would have had to stay at a less then great motel, and walked a distance to the park. I also like the fact I can put a few hundred down, and pay over time with each pay check. Also I buy the meal vouchers at the same time and pay on those as well. So I can afford my trip, and eat, and play for about the same amount as most. I live in Montana, planes are not cheap flying out of my small town, and to take my car to another town and park it to save on flights would not be cost efficient either. ( parking of the car)
    My travel agent is awsome, he calls the walt Disney company, with me there, and says " I need a deep pocket discount on a package for my client. Then i hear him say, nooooo She is a single mom and needs a big break here. I get it believe me! we get all the cool things, luggage tags, lanyards, early entry, pefered seating.
    Our trip cost us around 700.00 a piece. that includes 6 days park hoppers, and the meal vouchers.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by JangoFett
    Three letters... AAA. Their prices are good and you will get unlimited Fast Passes.
    yes but you have to be a member of aaa right? I tried to get it here, but we do not have AAA in my town.

• I'm your huckleberry.

Cellarhound means to fly into the Ontario Airport, take the 10 or 60 freeway West, then the 57 South. Exit Ball road, make a right. Drive about 4 miles (be sure to check out what cute saying Ganahl Lumber has on their marquee this week). Turn left on Disneyland drive and cruise into the parking structure!

Its about 40 miles from Ontario to Disneyland. The trip will take 45 minutes to 2+ hours depending on what time of day you take it.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• Still wants to be a cat!

I suggest using a Travel Agent, but them I'm biased....I own an Agency! LOL!
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• back in Austin

Quote Originally Posted by hakuna makarla
    yes but you have to be a member of aaa right? I tried to get it here, but we do not have AAA in my town.
    Ditto. I've heard about AAA discounts, but don't you have to be a member? Stands to reason.

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound
    No travel agent... No... No, no, no, no....

Do your own booking on line unless you are set on getting a package deal, which there are some perks... And I would say it depends on your budget...

Also how many people are you traveling with... and are you traveling with kids... these are also factors that I would consider, because then a package may make more sense...

If I do it, I would go Southwest, booked by myself on line direct - fly in to Ontario take the 57 down this will save you on airfare and you aren't really going to save that much more drive time...

Book your hotel through AAA on line usually you can get a great deal through their web server...

Now if you had kids, and everything has been budgeted... And you want to make it easy... Go with a package fly into John Wayne... It will save you hassle of trying to plan, and companies love to get the kids involved in the packages...
    Yes yes yes!!! I know I am biased as I own a travel agency, but travel agents do this for a living. We are trained professionals, and my goal is to get to the best package for the best price. If I do not sell it to you, I do not make any money. Is your time worth money? Yes. Then why spend hours researching to save $20.00 when you can have an agent do the research for you. Try calling a website if you have a problem.

We are doing the official MC trip to WDW this October. We had prices better than any website. See thread in Meets -
    http://www.micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17930

If you want a trip done right check with a local agent in Texas or PM me an I will send your our info, website and 800#.

• back in Austin

Quote Originally Posted by a_hyperbole
    Cellarhound means to fly into the Ontario Airport, take the 10 or 60 freeway West, then the 57 South. Exit Ball road, make a right. Drive about 4 miles (be sure to check out what cute saying Ganahl Lumber has on their marquee this week). Turn left on Disneyland drive and cruise into the parking structure!

Its about 40 miles from Ontario to Disneyland. The trip will take 45 minutes to 2+ hours depending on what time of day you take it.
    Thanks for the clarification!

I wasn't planning on renting a car. I was gonna do like last time and fly into SNA (Orange County, John Wayne airport) and take a shuttle from there. All our time will be spent on our near DLR, so I won't be needing a car once I'm there.

• For You!

From one travel agent to another - thanks for that! I don't understand people, it really doesn't cost them extra, and it sure saves a lot of headaches! Plus, if you have a problem, you have a person to talk to - not a computer.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• back in Austin

I have done the travel agent 2 times, and loved it each time.
    My problem is that I haven't worked with a travel agent in a few years and I don't know of any offhand in Austin that specialize in Disney trips (e.g. by having completed the "College of Disney Knowledge").
    Our trip cost us around 700.00 a piece. that includes 6 days park hoppers, and the meal vouchers.
    That sounds awesome! Did you actually stay at one of the resort properties for that price!!??

you could call the AAA 800 number and have them ship the package to your home address. you can expect to find adult at kids price deals, as well as reduced airfare through WDT and transportation from the airport. AAA will get what you need through Walt Disney Travel. but, book asap as space is extremely limited.

have a great vacation

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by JangoFett
    Not if he is staying at the Candy Cane or Hojos. That is only good at the Resort hotels.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast