View Poll Results: Accurate Size?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

8 18.18%
  • No

36 81.82%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Is the Mark Twain Riverboat a Scale of the Real Thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano
    I'm not sure any forced perspective is used...Everything on the Texas deck is the same scale as everything on the main deck. Even the pilot house is "full scale."

Boats...trains..homes and buildings...Everything in the early 19th century was hightly decorated, so the Mark Twain's accoutrements, even for a ferry or packet, are not unusual.

As for Sambo's post, I noted in my first post here that what he writes comes from the well-researched E Ticket magazine issue on the Mark Twain.
    The railings are where the forced perspective is most evident.

Each set of railings uses a different style to help disguise the fact that those used at the top are so much shorter than those used at the bottom.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Perhaps your professor was confusing the Twain with the Columbia, which is indeed a full sized replica of a sailing ship???

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

According to the Walt Disney biography the Mart Twain is a scaled down version of a "common" steamwheeler...though as been stated there were not too often any common steamwheelers...
    However the boat was not made to perfectly scaled down proportions, they found that if the original scale they wanted to use (I don't want to say what it was because I don't remember surely enough) was used 100% things like the boat's railings would be about knee-height. So Disney history says it is scaled, but uniquely scaled.

...what kind of class is this where you get to dicuss Disneyland's Mark Twain riverboat??

Quote Originally Posted by tahoebob54
    the boilers on many were made so cheap more than a few blew up and the boat just burnt up.
    Like the Molly Brown in Paris?

• I'm your huckleberry.

For the record, the correct phrase is "sternwheeler" not "steamwheeler". There were ships which had the paddle wheel mounted on the side of the ship. Sternwheelers are ships with the paddlewheel on the stern (back) of the ship, like the Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by a_hyperbole
    For the record, the correct phrase is "sternwheeler" not "steamwheeler".
    Another one of those type without reading kind of things. Sorry. Thanks for correcting that.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist
    The railings are where the forced perspective is most evident.

Each set of railings uses a different style to help disguise the fact that those used at the top are so much shorter than those used at the bottom.
    You know I respect your thoughts very much, Pragmatic, but I'm going to disagree with you here. The railings use different styles because that's the way they really were.

And frankly, I don't see any differences in height that are dictated by something other than function.

For those interested in steamboats, you really can't spend $9.00 any better than spending it on this book:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/048...Fencoding=UTF8

It's filled with wonderful photographs. (Actually, if you look at the railings in the book's cover, you'll see what appears to be "forced perspective" in the railing style--obviously that's not the intent).

Now, maybe the OP can ask his professor what the arm is called that rotates the wheel on a sternwheeler?

• Rock Star Minion

Now, maybe the OP can ask his professor what the arm is called that rotates the wheel on a sternwheeler?
    Since it goes clockwise on the ROA, I believe "Southpaw" is the word you're looking for.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Closed Account

That is actually the second most-common answer.

The truth?

It's a Pitman Arm.

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

Wow, Steve, thanks for the book info... I'm definitely going to be ordering that one.

• Sock Puppet

As I understand it, true riverboats were constructed long and very shallow in order to navigate rivers. This made them so inherently flexible and fragile, chains were attached from the bow to the stern and supported with posts in-between. These chains actually "held up" the bow and stern of the boat.

Obviously, the Mark Twain does not use this type of construction. However, as pointed out, riverboats varied a great deal. I think the Mark Twain was strictcly designed to be a very attractive and funtional boat for Disneyland.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Little Buck
    chains were attached from the bow to the stern and supported with posts in-between. These chains actually "held up" the bow and stern of the boat.
    Obviously, the Mark Twain does not use this type of construction.
    Actually, this construction technique is used on the Mark Twain. Diagonal "hogging posts" are placed on each side, fore and aft, and high-tension steel cable is used to stiffen the boat.

The hogging posts can be seen here--one is directly to the right of the left-side smokestack, and the rear post can be seen through the tree branches:

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by speederscout
    Wow, Steve, thanks for the book info... I'm definitely going to be ordering that one.
    Yopu won't be sorry. It's a great book for the price, and the pictures are just awesome!

• Ok time for cocoa

The Mark Twain is on tracks. What I don't understand is how would a real stern wheeler steer? Wheres the rudder?

• Closed Account

The rudder on a sternwheeler is in the same location as on a regular ship--at the stern, centered.

• Down Pluto!

Sambo quotes freely from the "E Tticket" magazine, although he fails to credit his source.

The Mark Twain is undersized for a "riverboat," but does represent a "packet" or ferry boat. That it uses standard nautical "standards" is undisputed.
    You are absolutely correct - I apologize for not crediting "E-Ticket" in my haste...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast