44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

8 18.18%
  • No

36 81.82%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Banned User

Blog Entries

Cool Re: Is the Mark Twain Riverboat a Scale of the Real Thing?

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung
    Perhaps your professor was confusing the Twain with the Columbia, which is indeed a full sized replica of a sailing ship???

Thanks Dan! I think you solved the whole thing.

• I'm your huckleberry.

Re: Is the Mark Twain Riverboat a Scale of the Real Thing?

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer
    Thanks Dan! I think you solved the whole thing.
    Are you being sarcastic? And if so, why?

Its certainly possible the prof got the two ships confused, I hear people at the park calling Columbia the Mark Twain all the time!

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• Banned User

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Is the Mark Twain Riverboat a Scale of the Real Thing?

Quote Originally Posted by a_hyperbole
    Are you being sarcastic? And if so, why?

Its certainly possible the prof got the two ships confused, I hear people at the park calling Columbia the Mark Twain all the time!

NO ! ! !

He says the COLUMBIA is a real sized replica, which would explain how the professor may have learned that the boat that goes around Frontierland at Disneyland is a real sized replica, in which case it makes sense how he'd visualize the MARK TWAIN and make the wrong assumption and teach students that the MT is the life sized replica.

He's like Dick Tracy, he solved the mystery in my mind.

• I'm your huckleberry.

NO ! ! !

He says the COLUMBIA is a real sized replica, which would explain how the professor may have learned that the boat that goes around Frontierland at Disneyland is a real sized replica, in which case it makes sense how he'd visualize the MARK TWAIN and make the wrong assumption and teach students that the MT is the life sized replica.

Sometimes its just hard to tell if someone is being sarcastic when you're reading vs. hearing.

But you're right, the general public's confusion of the ships' names could certainly explain how the prof thought that the MT was actual sized.

Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• Banned User

NO ! ! !

No he said that the Mark Twain was far too small to be a real accurately sized steamboat. He said and I quote: "That boat is like a toy compared to the real thing."

• Closed Account

If your professor was comparing the Mark Twain to a standard riverboat like the Robert E. Lee or the Natchez, he's right.

But it is fairly accurate for a small packet or ferry.

• Hopping DLR for 40 Years

Wow! "Hull Planks" where precisely?

I just gotta checkle on this thread above - "The Mark Twain's hull planking was caulked with “three threads of yacht cotton and the decking with two threads.” All planking seams were run with white lead and paved with cement. The upper deck was of grooved fir, with "veed" edges underneath, and covered with cotton duck of “approved weight laid over 2 coat of marine glue, made, smoother with ends turned and tacked to the edges.”

In those months before Disneyland's, opening the Mark Twain rose elegantly in Fowler's Harbor (named after Admiral Joe Fowler, who oversaw the construction of Disneyland, and the assembly of the Mark Twain, for Walt Disney). "

Note that the hull of the Mark Twain is steel, not wood. There is therefore no hull planking. The hull was built at Todd Shipyard in San Pedro, and the superstructure was built at Disney Studios. The two were mated at Disneyland.

• I'm your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano
    But it is fairly accurate for a small packet or ferry.
    I asked earlier, but I think my question was missed.... were packets or ferries elaborately decorated like the Mark Twain? I would have guessed they would have beem much more simple and scaled down. I tried searching for some info online about the design of the smaller river boats, but came up with zip.

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

Re: Wow! "Hull Planks" where precisely?

Quote Originally Posted by King of the Frogs
    I just gotta checkle on this thread above - "The Mark Twain's hull planking was caulked with “three threads of yacht cotton and the decking with two threads.” All planking seams were run with white lead and paved with cement. The upper deck was of grooved fir, with "veed" edges underneath, and covered with cotton duck of “approved weight laid over 2 coat of marine glue, made, smoother with ends turned and tacked to the edges.”

Note that the hull of the Mark Twain is steel, not wood. There is therefore no hull planking. The hull was built at Todd Shipyard in San Pedro, and the superstructure was built at Disney Studios. The two were mated at Disneyland.
    You are correct about the hull itself, but "hull planking" actually refered to the decks. It should have stated "deck planking".

I asked earlier, but I think my question was missed.... were packets or ferries elaborately decorated like the Mark Twain? I would have guessed they would have beem much more simple and scaled down. I tried searching for some info online about the design of the smaller river boats, but came up with zip.
    Considering that over the years there were over 9,000 steam riverboats on the Mississippi river system, their styles varied considerably. But, this was the Victorian era!

• Closed Account

I thought I answered you in post 14:
    Boats...trains..homes and buildings...Everything in the early 19th century was hightly decorated, so the Mark Twain's accoutrements, even for a ferry or packet, are not unusual.

• I'm your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano
    I thought I answered you in post 14:
    Sorry I missed it!

Thanks Steve!

There are two signs that give some info on the Mark Twain. One is on one end of the loding structure, and the other is on the main deck of the Mark Twain. The capacity is 350 passengers (plus freight), the displacement is 150 tons (the sign on the Mark Twain stats 125 tons), the length is 105 feet, the height is 28 feet, the beam(width) is 26feet, 6 inches, the draft is only 2 feet, 3 inches. The Mark Twain is a 5/8 scale "sternwheeler". The hull was constructen at the Todd Shipyards in Long Beach, California. the 108 foot superstructure was fabricated within a giant sound stage at the Walt Disney Studios, then dismantled and moved by truck to Disneyland. The Nine ton paddlewheel is powered by two single cylinder long-stroke steam ingines which produce a combined output of up to 80 hoursepower.

I know this is a lot of information, but if nothing else read the signs around the park. There is a lot of information, if you just read the signs.
    Let the magic continue.

• Banned User

Blog Entries

Cool Re: Is the Mark Twain Riverboat a Scale of the Real Thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo
    Your professor is simply "professing" something without actually knowing about it. He needs to do what more professors should do - stop resting on their post-tenure laurels and do some basic research.... It's all part of the record and freely available to anyone who does their research...

Quite a bit of blubbering for someone who literally cut and pasted an article from a magazine without crediting it. Some expert research, indeed!

^--- Eh, give him a break. At least he did the research, and he later admitted that he forgot to credit it; a lot more effort on his part than many posters bother with. Besides, this was all dealt with earlier in this thread if you read it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast