Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1118192021222324 LastLast

• Leave 'em wanting more!

Quote Originally Posted by ModHatter
    But if you put AAs in all the restaurants, what next, AAs in the bathroom?
    Ha! Yes! that would be FANTASTIC! Holy cow, the thought of using the facilities while my toilet-stall rotates around America Sings is brilliant! Wait, wait, you can move an exhibit from Innoventions into each of the bathrooms. This way we can be intertained and Innoventions will finally have found a show building worthy of hosting it!
    Last edited by fearsnda; 02-27-2005 at 02:42 PM.
    ~ Tasty, yet morally ambiguous! ~

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by Mission Control
    Yikes... I think I might have liked it all brown/bronze instead of blue and bronze

those colors dont work together at all... ouch..

Yes, a Pinocchio puppet show would be puppet-like. That's sort of the point. You have the puppets, and then the AA Pinocchio performs the "I have no strings" number. More importantly, Fantasyland is more of a kiddie area than Tomorrowland, so putting a kiddie-fied AA show in a dining area fits better there.

Country Bears isn't an eating experience. It's a show. Personally, yes, when people have argued for putting Country Bears in the Hungry Bear, I have been opposed to that as well. It detracts from the ability to just sit and enjoy the atmosphere. But if you put AAs in all the restaurants, what next, AAs in the bathroom?

But most importantly, you have the issue of THEME. CoP wasn't the most Tomorrow script, but in its day, the AA technology was still pretty forward-thinking. That day was about 40 years ago though. So, if Tomorrowland represents, say, 2105, even the most advanced AAs of today will be obsolete in such a Tomorrow. Thel alternative is to have create AA characters that fit the Tomorrow theme. But then you run into the Star Wars cantina idea, which felt dated by the time Empire came out. Or you create some lovable Stitch-type AAs that will just be saccharine and borderline irritating... think Club Buzz. It's a very kid-centric, family-unfriendly concept.

And, as it turns out, people don't even want computers to take their order at Taste Pilots, much less serve them dishes of piping hot food and ice cold spillable drinks...
    I dissagree in that AA's arn't that kidiefied at all especialy if they're well done

I'm not recommending AA's in all of the resturants only in some of them, obviously every restruant should have it's own unique feature, Tomorrowland has three potential eating areas, they could reopen the Lunching Pad under the Peoplemover/old Rocket Jets so you could eat and enjoy Tomorrowlands outdoor atmosphere (assuming they can give it it's motion back) they can have a sit and watch people perform type thing and they can have a sit indoors and see an animatronic perform while absorbing an out of this world envionrment theme

The animatronic doesn't need to be the focal point or overwhelming, it would be very atmospheric for a nice AA to quietly play the piano and occasionaly say things to the guests while you have stars projected above your head or something nifty like that

not every resturant in Disneyland needs to be the blue bayou and about absorbing atmosphere

I think they all need their own unique flavor

and i think Disney could easily do a NON movie related Animatronic show that features an alien that would be fun to watch while I eat

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey
    Yikes... I think I might have liked it all brown/bronze instead of blue and bronze

those colors dont work together at all... ouch..
    I've heard it looks better in real life

it's actualy a silver/blue and gold (the silver relfects kinda whiteish)

the bronze was that ugly brown

and remeber it's not finished, wait for the tarps on Star Tours to comedown along with all the painting they're doing to the walkways and we'll see how it all comes together

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Jspider
    I dissagree in that AA's arn't that kidiefied at all especialy if they're well done

The animatronic doesn't need to be the focal point or overwhelming, it would be very atmospheric for a nice AA to quietly play the piano and occasionaly say things to the guests while you have stars projected above your head or something nifty like that

not every resturant in Disneyland needs to be the blue bayou and about absorbing atmosphere

I think they all need their own unique flavor

and i think Disney could easily do a NON movie related Animatronic show that features an alien that would be fun to watch while I eat
    No, AAs in an immersive ride aren't necessarily kiddiefied at all. Having them in a restaurant? Oh yes, and more importantly, not futuristic. A robot playing a piano? The player piano has existed for quite some time now, so the idea of a robot playing piano is much more quaint than futuristic. So, we're back to precious little aliens and the like.

I don't know anyone who has said every DL restaurant should be Blue Bayou, but ONE definitely should be. Considering the price point and wait times at Epcot restaurants, I don't see the harm. But I do see the harm in putting AAs everywhere, in putting non-futuristic things everywhere, and in putting outer space into every single ride, show, and even restaurant in Tomorrowland. That is precisely the type of thing that will take away the unique flavor of Tomorrowland.
    See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
    78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

• Disneyland Freak

A few more pics from Saturday...

http://dlfreak84.tripod.com/dlu
    Joey AKA "dlfreak"
    www.mouseinfo.com

I'm addicted to Disneyland. Disneyland hobbies are expensive.
    If I become a bum people are going to say "Don't give him money, he's just gonna use it on Disneyland."
    Disneyland. My Anti-drug.

With all this talk of "off the shelf" and "on the back-burner" it seems the only thing that DCA is really missing is the kitchen sink!

Create your own Virtual pet today!

• Minion

I sort of wonder if the ugh rocks at the entrance will also get the "Martian granite" look. Not sure if I like that color, but I know I hate those rocks.

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

• the subs were cool maan

That is precisely the type of thing that will take away the unique flavor of Tomorrowland.
    Its already all gone. But on its way of a comeback

• Leave 'em wanting more!

I sort of wonder if the ugh rocks at the entrance will also get the "Martian granite" look. Not sure if I like that color, but I know I hate those rocks.
    See I always felt the rocks and the Astro Orbitor in front were one of the few things that actually worked in Tomorrowland 98. Call me crazy...
    ~ Tasty, yet morally ambiguous! ~

No, AAs in an immersive ride aren't necessarily kiddiefied at all. Having them in a restaurant? Oh yes, and more importantly, not futuristic. A robot playing a piano? The player piano has existed for quite some time now, so the idea of a robot playing piano is much more quaint than futuristic. So, we're back to precious little aliens and the like.

I don't know anyone who has said every DL restaurant should be Blue Bayou, but ONE definitely should be. Considering the price point and wait times at Epcot restaurants, I don't see the harm. But I do see the harm in putting AAs everywhere, in putting non-futuristic things everywhere, and in putting outer space into every single ride, show, and even restaurant in Tomorrowland. That is precisely the type of thing that will take away the unique flavor of Tomorrowland.
    I still don't see anything wrong with an alien playing the piano, it wouldn't even need to look like an earth piano it could have tons of neon effects be made of glass and light up in different ways as he plays it. If the animatronic is advanced enough it won't be quaint at all.

and you just seem to imply that you would like a blue bayou type expereince in that you want quiet restruants were you just sit and absorb the atmosphere, and I don't think that everyone wants that. and yeah I know about the Epcot restruants and there is room in the resort for both these types of restruants in both parks

and Space IS tomorrow and Space/Sci Fi type things are exactly how we see Tomorrow in the modern age

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Jspider
    and Space IS tomorrow and Space/Sci Fi type things are exactly how we see Tomorrow in the modern age
    Space is one tiny piece of Tomorrow, and after two shuttle disasters and a number of other multi-million dollar failures, it's a piece of the future a lot of people just don't care as much about anymore.

The beauty of New Tomorrowland, the World on the Move, was that it was Earth-centric. Yes, you had space, but you also had science, technology, entertainment, ocean exploration.

In writing, there's a concept that, when you set your story in a created environment like the future, it isn't enough just to focus on the parts that are obviously relevant to your plot. You need to know what kind of toothpaste they use, how much a loaf of bread costs, how many hours they work in a day, etc... Whether or not this information is ever communicated to the audience is up to the author, but if the author is going to create a convincing world, he or she HAS to know. And that's the appeal of New Tomorrowland. By choosing a broader vision of the future, one that applies to more peoples' lives, and by thinking enough about it to make it look like a place people might actually want to live in.

-- Walt Disney

Space is one tiny piece of Tomorrow, and after two shuttle disasters and a number of other multi-million dollar failures, it's a piece of the future a lot of people just don't care as much about anymore.

The beauty of New Tomorrowland, the World on the Move, was that it was Earth-centric. Yes, you had space, but you also had science, technology, entertainment, ocean exploration.

In writing, there's a concept that, when you set your story in a created environment like the future, it isn't enough just to focus on the parts that are obviously relevant to your plot. You need to know what kind of toothpaste they use, how much a loaf of bread costs, how many hours they work in a day, etc... Whether or not this information is ever communicated to the audience is up to the author, but if the author is going to create a convincing world, he or she HAS to know. And that's the appeal of New Tomorrowland. By choosing a broader vision of the future, one that applies to more peoples' lives, and by thinking enough about it to make it look like a place people might actually want to live in.

yes and no

as far as the space program goes, space is still a very interesting and exciting thing that people see coming for tomorrow

the reason most people don't care about the space program and arn't excited about it anymore is the excitement is gone, we arn't progressing as fast as we thought we would, we've been using the same shuttles for years now only satilites go to mars we've never come up with a good way to go (robots don't get ticker tape parades) so the idea of traveling to space in back seems more distant to us but is still part of our view of the future

I'll agree that in writing every detail and every bit you know about the created envionrment goes a long ways, however in a theme park situation it's a bit different, you have to convey things through visuales and only take people to locations int he future that are exciting and are places only found in the future

yeah a water themed future ride would be terrific, you could see how people live underwater in the future and see a glimpse of underwater civilization and science

sadly we're getting Nemo, I've already come to think of the Matterhorn/Sub area is something seperate from Fantasyland and Tomorrowland which is why I'm always pitching the Discoveryland idea

• Hero-in-Training

Quote Originally Posted by dlfreak
    Am I the only one that thinks that those New Tomorrowland pictures are unbelievably exciting? It's gonna look fantastic when they finish it up so that the colors don't clash. Buzz still needs to lose the green and use only one or two fonts for its sign - not THREE - but the gossamer blue, light gold and the light blue/silver/white look stunning. Now they need to redo the martian rocks in light silver/blue and the entry spires and Orbiter in chrome! Anyone think they will?

Quote Originally Posted by Ascendant
    Am I the only one that thinks that those New Tomorrowland pictures are unbelievably exciting? It's gonna look fantastic when they finish it up so that the colors don't clash. Buzz still needs to lose the green and use only one or two fonts for its sign - not THREE - but the gossamer blue, light gold and the light blue/silver/white look stunning. Now they need to redo the martian rocks in light silver/blue and the entry spires and Orbiter in chrome! Anyone think they will?
    I think the gold will be left there for the duration of the 50th

I'm hoping they'll go back and rid us of it afterwords

but yeah it's deffinatly looking better all the time

I can't wait to see Star Tours so I can see how it all comes together

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by dlfreak
    A few more pics from Saturday...

http://dlfreak84.tripod.com/dlu
    Pardon the interuption, but what is with the 90 minute wait on Screamin' and 75 min. wait on Tower? Were there only two trains on Screamin' and one shaft on Tower?:confused:

Back to the subject. I think the Blue looks good. Just have to be patient and wait for everything to come together.