Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 12192021222324 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jspider
    I think the gold will be left there for the duration of the 50th

I'm hoping they'll go back and rid us of it afterwords
    I doubt it. The gold working with the other colors looks amazing. Its not gold clashing is rust and mud colors which looked extremely ugly.
    Hail Matt Ouimet, the savior of Disneyland!

• JMUBOY - 30 Yrs Of Magic!

now the gold in the other areas of the park will be removed after the 50th

• Minion

In all fairness to Tomorrowland, it's not the only place that Disney has thought needed beefing up or reimagining.

Yes, Tomorrowland got redone in the 60s. Less a flaw in the land as it was an over-mabitious Walt and Co. that could not do everything they wanted to do before opening day. They also planned various versions of Residential Street east of Main St.

They shaved the West Side to create NOS. They took a chunk off THAT for Bear Country. And later they rethemed THAT to Critter Country.

They made a major overhaul of Fantasyland, going so far as to raise the castle drawbridge so they could lower it again for rededication. And later they added a third new terriroty with ToonTown

So, it's not like Tomorrowland 55 was a failure. All four of the original lands have had intensive makeovers. That's simply how themeparks, especially those with finite land for new attractions, are operated.

That said, management was the problem that kept Tomorrowland attractions falling like dominoes, not some failure of theme. And a 6% drop in attendance in the first two years of TL 98 are a pretty good indication of that theme's failure.

Hopefully they will fine tune this new paint scheme. I agree, New Tomorrowland will never be repeated, and TL 98 reminds us why a whole land overhaul is dangerous. The key is to just focus on getting Star Tours updated (and maybe ditch the hideos alarm sounds on days when the queue is slow), replace HISTA, and replace Innoventions, but one at a time, with a dedicated budget. Once the attractions in this area are beefed up, THEN work on a major project where Autopia is. In the meantime, keep the color palette a neutral canvas like it looks like we're getting. It just needs to stay clean and bright, rather than going for some outlandish statement like the Montana Future mess.
    See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
    78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

hi. new to miceage, and am glad to see so much talk about TL. it concerns me that so much effort has been made to this part of the park, yet when you think about it, and perhaps it didn't seem so at the time. but it was right the way it was. although i think that Discoveryland in ParisDisney looks ok, the 1977 version of TL was the best and I think that an overhaul is in order.

• Colorado Bound?

Autopia: Make it more futuristic by changing to hybrid cars or better yet, electric; or when they come out...hydrogen.

And bring back a new Inner Space

• now on the mainland

Quote Originally Posted by AmandasDad
    Autopia: Make it more futuristic by changing to hybrid cars or better yet, electric; or when they come out...hydrogen.

And bring back a new Inner Space

I've been thinking about this over the last couple of days. Disneyland is all about creating illusions, right? So why not have them run electrically, thus they are quiet and the *real* reason for propulsion hidden, but yet somehow introduct the idea to the guests that they run on water/cold fusion? I also think the design of the cars needs to look more futuristic.

The problem however, is that Chevron, an oil company sponsors the attraction, thus I think we're stuck with gasoline powered vehicles that look like Chevron's animated commercials. Grrr, while I am very much a capitalist and believe in free industry, sometimes it gets annyoing. :confused:

• Minion

Capitalism is dandy if you're a noble, but it sucks to be a peasant.

But anyway, that's one thing that always irritated me when I finally went back to the resort. Why, when we have the RocketRods usurping something more deserving, didn't Disney have the foresight to put in PeopleMovers from Mickey & Friends instead of those gas-guzzling trams.

Now, I could be wrong, but wouldn't it take less people to operate two PM stations than it would to run the trams? And, for that matter, it would probably take less to run three PM stations, so you could actually have a station that lets guests off deeper in DTD, which could help drive up business. Plus, as I recall, one of the things affecting Disney's fireworks is air quailty, which removing the trams would help.

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

• That's Hawt

Quote Originally Posted by ModHatter
    Capitalism is dandy if you're a noble, but it sucks to be a peasant.

But anyway, that's one thing that always irritated me when I finally went back to the resort. Why, when we have the RocketRods usurping something more deserving, didn't Disney have the foresight to put in PeopleMovers from Mickey & Friends instead of those gas-guzzling trams.

Now, I could be wrong, but wouldn't it take less people to operate two PM stations than it would to run the trams? And, for that matter, it would probably take less to run three PM stations, so you could actually have a station that lets guests off deeper in DTD, which could help drive up business. Plus, as I recall, one of the things affecting Disney's fireworks is air quailty, which removing the trams would help.
    That actually makes a lot of sense. I think that either PM or even Monorail would be a great option. And I am sure that the trams would free up a lot of DL's air quality points.
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkmom
    this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s

• Magical Memories fanzine

I do hope any metallics they are doign this time around for decor color scheme are something longer lasting. I still cant figure for the life of me why they didnt use metallic plastic mouldings on the buildings. I personally think it would be very cool to put plastic holograms over the entire sides of buildings in tomorrowland; either ones with future themed pictures, or just that silver metallic stuff that changes rainbow colors as you look at it from different angles. I know that stuff comes in some pretty large sheets with plastic coating so it would be pretty easy to do, even if they only used it for larger pieces of trim, I think it would be pretty futuristic I havnt seen anyone yet use hologram sheets over an entire building, but I think it will eventually happen someday; I can easily picture 20 foot holographic billboards.

As for the restuarant idea, why not just make it very sleek and modern, but theme it as if its a restaurant on the moon or another planet? And to really add a nifty wow factor, have your food (or maybe just some of your food) pop up from portals in the tables, kinda like how in back to the future 2 the pepsi bottles popped up from inside table in the 80's cafe. And Just take todays technology and apply it in ways that hasnt been done yet; maybe the tables or the benches (or heck even the entire ceiling of the restaurant) is one of those electrical devices that have all of the lightening type electricity running inside of a glass ball type things... you know you touch the ball and the electricity follows your fingers? I dont know the name of those things, but imagine the bench you sit on like that, or the table, or heck the whole ceiling (LOL may cause neck strain from people staring at the ceiling). Have a futuristic looking jukebox, that when you play a tune, fiberoptics that are embedded into the walls and floor glow in patterns in time to the music. Have spiral airlocks in the walls, and maybe the middle of the ceiling, that every 20 mins or so open up to show a beautiful view of the moon or planets terrain outside, and with people doing things like water skiing on a man made lake (remember this is on the moon, or another planet), and space ships taking off and landing. When you see a spaceship land outside, you could have slight trembles go through the restaurant for more realism. Heck you could start out the experience as a short simulation of going to the moon, then you "land", a airlock opens and enters you into the reception lobby, then it closes behind you as the front airlock opens and allows you into the restaurant. The simulation would allow more time between guests coming in to eat, and those leaving so would make finding seating easier. But make the simulation a more smooth experience than mission space; themed as we have found a way to leave the atmosphere without much G force exertion, and emphasis would be more placed on windows; watching the earth get smaller etc. sort of a updated but shorter version of rocket to the moon. The whole idea is; you are going to the moon (or another planet) just to go eat. I think its safe to say that we wont be having restaurants on the moon anytime soon, so Disney wouldnt have to change much for quite a few years.

Just some ideas to toss in the ring here.

• Disneyland with Bob Ross

I think the biggest issue is that Tomorrowland no matter how great the rides are or become will become old the quickest in the park. I say this because the future is ever changing. What is new, fresh and vivrant today is old, stale and dull tomorrow. The mere idea of Tomorrowland being the future brings that anything it holds needs to be updated regularly. Granted its based on a fantasy since nobody can see into the future, but as things are invented and as time goes by the idea of what "tomorrow" is becomes normalized. Its not like Fantasyland and the others where nostalgia is the main lure. I believe the only solution that will fully make Tomorrowland just as the name implies is new rides, shows and technology being demonstrated every 3 to 5 years. This will prevent nostalgia from fully setting in and keep the land as it implies tomorrow'ish.

• Minion

Good solid, modernist design will never fall from fashion. They need to get back to the cool design aesthetics.

• It's all nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by XterraceEmp
    The mere idea of Tomorrowland being the future brings that anything it holds needs to be updated regularly.
    You speak the truth. That's why tomorrowland has been changed more than any other land. And that more than likely leads to the frustration with that area.
    But I really think that alot of the attractions of the past could have held their longevity, simply for the premise of the ride. Such as the Mission to Mars and the House of the Future. Regularly travelling to Mars has still not been achieved and a futuristic home is always something that can be updated rather easily and bring in sponsers at the same time.

• Minion

Again, just to recap, Tomorrowland has only been changed twice. And most people would agree, the second time was a mistake.

People want a bright and clean Tomorrow, not some rusted antique shop.

People want rides, not shows and exhibits.

Star Tours is essentially the pilot episode of a sitcom, that has been in reruns for almost 20 years now. Yet, because it contains some ride elements, it has more longevity.

HISTA, on the other hand, was also a pilot, that had been showing in Epcot already, and was VERY un-repeatable. Would you go home and tell your friends they have to go to the park to see THAT? Maybe if you hate your friends. And Innoventions... I think that dead horse isn't worth beating yet again. So, all we have left is the homicidal maniac Rocket Rods, which killed two rides just to come into this world, and seemed intent on killing the structural integrity of everything else in its wake. Great investment!

Tomorrowland didn't need an ugly theme and a ride based on noise pollution. They needed something like Buzz, and they need a better use for allllllll that Autopia land, and something appealing in all those empty nooks and crannies surrounding Space Mountain. If Disney would ever learn that when no major attractions are built, attendance goes down, we wouldn't keep having these problems in Tomorrowland. (And no, parades, fireworks, and Fantasylad-style dark rides clearly do not count as major attractions -- nor do shows.)

-- Walt Disney

• Banned User

I don't think anyone would argue that TL'98 was a "success".

Rocket Rods closed within a couple years... Total hours of operation wasn't but one year.

HISTA is usually 1/4th or less full.

Radio Dinsey booth sits empty.

Observatron is an eye sore.

Innoventions is a waste of space.

Cosmic Waves is shut down.

But, was TL'97 any better?!?!! People Mover couldn't pull 1/8th capacity. Innoventions was offices. Mission to Mars was even less popular than HISTA (I know, hard to believe). Circle Vision was sitting empty.

TL '55 was "dated" by '65.... It was redone in '67. By '77 it was dated again. CoP had been rplaced with America Sings. Mission to the Moon had been changed to Mars. Even these changes couldn't help. Space Mt was added to "hold the land over". Those '73-'77 changes replaced half the attractions in the land.... That's pretty much a 3rd makeover.

By mid-80's, it was stale again. EO, Star Tours were brought in to keep the land alive.... but on life support.

By the mid-90s, it was clear the land needed a total makeover. Unfortunatly, they'd just dropped a bundle on Indianna Jones, EuroDL had flopped, they were exploring 2nd gate options, and investors saw theme parks as poor investments.

The result was that instead of giving the land the half billion needed to re-do the land well, they only got $100 million. On that budget, ANY makeover was going to be a flop.

But, there was a bigger question.

EPCOT Future World was 15 years old, and aging badly. WDW MKs TL was 25 years old and aging badly. Many TL concepts had been tired in DL, and they all aged badly.

1) Go with another reality future concept and have it too likely age badly.
    2) Try something different.

Personally, I think the "try something different" option by far made the most business sense.

Too bad the project was doomed by a tiny budget... Big foreshadowing of DCA... A park built on 1/3rd to 1/4th the budget needed to build something really good.

Quote Originally Posted by ModHatter
    Space is one tiny piece of Tomorrow, and after two shuttle disasters and a number of other multi-million dollar failures, it's a piece of the future a lot of people just don't care as much about anymore.
    Indeed. Back in the 60's the expectation was that by now we would have landed on Mars and would have permanent moon bases.

Instead we have 20 year old shuttles that are still buggy and dangerous (and still grounded).

The "future" does indeed have a different face than 40 years ago. Now its about genetics and AI. We thought we would be flying around in SST's. Instead we got fuel efficient but otherwise unremarkable "AirBuses".

I imagine that for the younger crowd it might hard to understand why we kids of the 50's and 60's were so entralled with space exploration. A friend of mine describes it:

"We use to be outward looking, but we changed and are now inward looking."

I think he is right. 40 years no one would have guessed that we would spend big chunks of time playing video games, watching movies at home or surfing the web on personal computers. We all thought we would be flying around with Jet Packs.

I wonder what it will be like in another 40 years?