Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast

• /sigh

I absolutely love the Cantina resturaunt idea! Makes you wonder why it hasn't been done before (maybe similar to the Quark's bar in Vegas?). I bet Lucas would get a kick out of the idea. Disney's all about atmosphere...why not?

• Master of Disaster

i think the key to having tomorowland be really awesome would be interactivity!

so you boot captain rex right. why not have a CM pilot (a man for the following reason...) who gives you a nice flight to say endor and he "gets out" to go open the doors and as he is walking past the front of the ship (in the movie of course) the ship starts getting attacked and he runs back in and you take off and fly away and yeah it can go from there.

HISTA - why not have it like a stage type show. something with lots of special effects like fantasmic (although not so much on the pyro) and theres a host who performs like in front of the 3d screen and it could be really cool if done right.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • June 3rd, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by zugzug15
    HISTA - why not have it like a stage type show. something with lots of special effects like fantasmic (although not so much on the pyro) and theres a host who performs like in front of the 3d screen and it could be really cool if done right.
    I thought of a couple ideas. Both would tie into that corner being turned into a Star Wars extension of Star Tours.
    The first one would turn HISTA into Jabba's Palace with a full size Animatronic Jabba. Hey since we are firing Rex from Speeder pilot, why not make him Jabba's Translator Droid. The story would go like we are invited to a typical Jabba celebration and his pet rancor gets loose in middle of the celebration. I haven't figured out the whole story idea but the idea would incorporate Animatronics, 3-d, and other effects.
    The second idea for HISTA uses all the same effects but involves a jedi training session that we are invited to attend. All is going well into a Sith Lord and some stormtroopers come strolling right in the middle of the audience (It's also live action as well). A fight breaks out with lightsabers, laser fire and the force making stuff fly over the audience's heads.
    I also thought of an Incredibles show but still haven't thought out much details
    PirateMunkee

Visit My Horror Designs Store!!!

youknow I can honestly say I don't want the whole land to be consumed by Starwars

the resturant isn't a bad idea, it doesn't have to be the cantena but it could certainly have a star wars band playing that song (Tatooine *I'm probably spelling it wrong* in all of it's desertness doesn't really fit Tomorrowland that well)

then again that muddles up the whole Gift shop as you get outta the ride type idea (oooh maybe they could move it into the Extended Que area so then you get in line AT the Giftshop/Fastpass distribution)

HISTA should get a good replacement once they have technology for it

a fantasmic Pyro show just wouldn't work

and the Tomorrowland Terrance (or Club Buzz >_>) is supposed to be open for random stage shows if they'd ever fix that place up the way it should be fixed :P

we need Soony Eclipse or whatever his name is

• Waiting for the monorail

If I could pull one thing, it would be the Orbiter. You see it coming in and it ruins the whole atmosphere for me. It's not even raised up high like the old rockets!

But my personal, not business, choice would be to pull HISTA. Start filming a new movie today. That thing is so bad I saw it once, and that was more than enough. It was outdated going in and now it really lives in a type of Yesterday.

• Quality Assured

A silver and blue color scheme would look great! Some rides that could be redone, removed, built, or released:
    Astro Orbitor-New paint, moved to "weenie position" where the Observation is now.
    Autopia-Much more scenery.
    Tomorrowland Terrace/Coca Cola Terrace-rebuilt w/new scheme
    People Mover-rebuilt
    Rocket Rods-have Honda sponsor and build a track alongside of the people mover with banked turns.
    Submarine Voyage-anything to restore them.
    Star Tours-removed or rebuilt w/new show.
    Skyway-build a new one!
    Flying Saucers-with the new Winnie the Pooh TDL/Aquatopia TDL technology, less brakedowns would occur in a newer saucer ride.
    America Sings-Was there ever anything wrong with this attracition? Build a new Carousel Theater attraction similar to America Sings.
    The goes on forever, did Tomorrowland really need its 1998 facelift? I think not!

Quote Originally Posted by Doodle Duck
    OBSERVATRON- make it work...with lights set up all over TL...and cool music and lasers in the sky

but then the lasers might shine into the cockpits of airplanes approaching LAX, SNA, or LGB...
    :O
    Here I am

• Pirate Princess

So many great ideas! Honestly, I think we can all agree that anything new and improved is better than the wasteland we've got now. As for my modest opinion (take it or leave it), here's my thoughts:

*I can understand some who frequent the park not caring much for Star Tours. As for re-ride-ability, it may get old fast. But for those of us who only get to park once every few years, its a favorite. When some families visit, they only have time to visit each ride once if at all. So its for that reason that I think Star Tours is perfectly fine as is. Still, if Lucas could be persuaded, new and varied movies would be a nice change; and there's always room for state-of-the-art updates to keep the experience fresh and cutting edge.

*While on the Star Wars topic, I'd like to point out that even before reading this thread I've thought about the possibility of a Mos Eisley Cantina!! I think it would be a very unique dining experience, and it could be connected to the exit of Star Tours somehow. In a "Hard Rock Cafe" stye, you could still have your merchandise available here as well. I don't think more than one Star Wars inspired thing in TL make it an overload. Star Wars is the quintessential "future" film, and for that reason, I think elements of it fit extremely well in TL. Besides that, there is so much that could be done with this dining experience: it would be indoors as opposed to so much of the outdoor dining available in this land; AAs could be permanently placed on stools at a "bar" area, and an AA band could play; in the style of Bubba Gump restaurants in the Bay area, the Star Wars films could be played here in a continuous loop (requiring heavy permission from Lucas, I understand) for watching while you eat. Possibilities for a unique Disney-esque eatery are endless here.

*As for HISTA, I don't understand at all why people would want to keep it. It seems a huge contradition to the "future" theme of the land because that film is SO history!! Its not cutting edge anymore in the least. Yes the subject of the film has yet to become old hat, but I would be greatly impressed with something more "now" in that theater. I was thrilled to read of the idea in this thead about a theater experience where the audience votes ("ask the audience" on Millionaire method?) for choices throughout the story. There is a small scale version of this process on many of the recent Disney DVD features. The Special Edition Lion King, for example, has a feature which allows you to explore the jungle with Timon and Pumbaa by selecting which direction to go (left or right, and so on). This obviously is not out of the question as far as technology is concerned; I'm sure it would be relatively inexpensive by park attraction standards; and it would be something new and different to a Disney park--NOT A CLONE. For your content, you have a plethora of space/future ideas to choose from.

*The Peoplemover is also a controversial subject here, and I think many people have good points about what should be done with the track. For me, I like the idea of a smooth transportation ride (like the original PM). No one seems to complain about the transportation on Main Street. Why you ask? Because it is more part of the atmosphere than an "attraction". A transportation system in TL, much like the Monorail, may not be the most thrilling thing you can do to spend your time, but it helps maintain the "motion" and "future" elements of the land. On that note, I don't think the pods from Incredibles is a bad idea. Keeping in mind they should be aesthetically in sync with the land's atmoshere and that they fulfil the purpose of touring around the land, they fit the requirements. Its not about the Incredibles theme...pragmatically, they just fit. Yes its Pixar, but its also DISNEY, which is acceptable for a DISNEY park. The fact is a lot of Disney's recent blockbusters have also been Pixar films, so it seems silly to say you don't want a Pixar overload because thats just the path Disney has taken for new films. And besides, its not like you're turning it into an entire attraction based on the movie, its just for land touring. The extent of the movie connection would be that they were in the movie. Perhaps one of the movie characters could narrate the tour, but other than that, its not like its a dark ride or anything.

*Finally, kudos to the Monorail stop in DCA idea! It would certainly promote the decision for some to "park hop" that otherwise might not have. I myself would be inclined to hop off and enjoy some California attractions if I didn't have to walk out of DL into DCA. That may sound silly, but think about how many people will wait for a minivan to back out of a prime spot close to the store instead of parking a little further away, just cuz they don't want a long walk in the parking lot.

>> The Peoplemover was nice, but I don't think there's enough demand to spend a fortune rebuilding the track and cars. Remember they took it out because it wasn't popular enough to justify the huge maintenance budget. <<

>>I said the Peoplemover was not popular enough to justify the huge maintenance budget. That was true. Otherwise it would still be here today. As for Rocket Rods - the same is true, it was not popular enough to justify the huge maintenance budget. Otherwise it would still be here today. <<

I think we are forgetting some rather important factors before we deem the Peoplemover "unpopular".

For one:
    It had a HUGE/MASSIVE ride capacity. The more people an attraction can suck in .. the shorter the lines will be .. and chances of seeing some empty trains was always a possibility.

Two:
    The land began it's downturn when America Sings closed in April 1988. That was the end of the best years of "A World On The Move". From that point on ... it just kept getting worse. 1992 - Mission To Mars closed. 1992 - Space Place Restaurant closed. 1994 - Skyway closed. August 1995 - In the middle of the busy summer season .. Peoplemover is abruptly shut down. As the years went by ... 1988 ... 1989 ... 1990 ... and on .. up to 1996 .. the land grew increasingly pathetic looking. Now .. consider this dismaying observation: Who would be interested in boarding a transportation attraction whose purpose was to offer vistas of what was slowly evolving into a detiorating land? In those wanning days of TL (1988-1996) ... You better believe this ride was going to be unpopular ... Who wants to get depressed of a grand circle tour of a dieing land?!

Three: As for it "still being there if it were popular" .. well lets see:
    Imagineering would have kept it in their "Tomorrowland:2055" plan. If it went through in the early/mid 90s. I remember hearing through the grapevine ... imagineering wanting to continue Peoplemover .. and have something in addition riding off on the edge of the entire track (Speeder Bikes from Star Wars: Return of the Jedi) as the inspiration piece .. (which obviously developed into "Rocket Rods") ... But at this time (the mid 90s) .... a faster type attraction was more in favor .. so with no room .. Peoplemover would get the boot. Hence - GM's Rocket Rods XPR (mini EPCOT-sh) pavilion.

So ......... I truly believe a completely new design of a "Peoplemover" attraction would be practical ... and feasible ... (and of course popular). The catch - Who's going to be interested in (once again) touring the rooftops of a Tomorrowland .. if the land is not populated with new and exciting attractions ... and an exciting and new theme throughout the entire land (?).

And as far as this "5 year plan" rumor is concerned .... I hope it's true. Time to get the crack whipping. The land has been a joke since the first day Rocket Rods began closing on a daily basis in it's first summer season '1998' .. as it whimped along from the get-go.

Tomorrowland
    R.I.P.
    1988 - 2005

Now lets hope a new Space Mountain .. and a return of the omnimover system to the land are an indicator imagineering is really working on some grand new plans. And I hope it's much more than just returning the land to it's "1967" color scheme .. which seems to be (more or less) suggested in this topic.

HISTA: That should be phased out soon ANYWAY. Captain EO/"Magic Eye Theater 3D shows" seem to have been built with 8 to 10 year spans - anyway. HISTA is now 8 years old.

Star Tours? .....
    May Eisner please LEAVE .... so the relationship between Lucas and the company can be REPAIRED. At that point - THEN we can dream away of a brand new "Star Tours" updated attraction.

Innoventions? .....
    Doesn't this thing have new sponsors with contracts through 2008? I'll be so happy the day the carousel theater gets it's 4th tenant .. and this time .... I pray it will be something with the drawing power and QUALITY of that of a "D" or "E" attraction.

Redd Rocket's Pizza Port?
    Bloody idiots they were for taking away a valuable attraction space .. when Redd Rockets would be more appropriately placed in the Starcade space .. with convenient restrooms immediately behind - near Space Mountain's exit. Get your food at the bottom floor ... and take your meal to the second floor where dinning tables will be found. And take the entire "west" wing of the Space Mountain complex .. and the former Mission To Mars structure .. combine them .. and .. POOF ... enough space for another attraction.

They need to boost the number of attractions back up again.

There use to be 12 attractions (not counting the DLRR and Starcade) ... and since had dwindled down to nearly half that amount.

I sincerely hope the few "old school" imagineers left have some GOOD(!) ideas up their sleeves ... and push to get them through AFTER Eisner gets the boot in 2006!

Wouldn't it be great to just bulldoze the whole innoventions building? Think of all the extra space they'd have for a new attraction. I mean, even if they just replace it with the taco stand stand of the future (that's a regular taco stand, covered in aluminum foil with gold paint accents) it would still be more interesting and a better use of space.

And as for HISTA.... just rip out the whole theatre and replace it with any dark ride. Once again, anything is better than what we've got there now.

And while I'm at it, why not make over all of TL with a retro vision of the future? Something like the movie "Sky Captain". That way, it never gets old in the same sense that today's TL does every 5 to 10 years. There's gotta be an "Iron Giant" tie in there somewhere, too. Oh wait, that wasn't a Disney movie....
    When 7 just isn't enuff

Cheers!

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy_the_8th_Dwarf
    Wouldn't it be great to just bulldoze the whole innoventions building?
    If it were up to me I think I would bulldoze all of TL and replace it with Mysterious Island from TDS.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy_the_8th_Dwarf
    And while I'm at it, why not make over all of TL with a retro vision of the future?
    That's a brilliant idea!

• Old Timer

Todays TL should really express views of Tomorrow

What films have we seen about tomorrow? Global warming...The Day after Tomorrow has an eery feeling of quite real possibilities, what if a ride or show was based upon it?

Mission to Mars, as good of a movie I've seen but also has possibilities as an attraction. Of course WDW has M:S but there can be other ways to use the theme....or just build the same attraction at DL!

Armageddon, probably the best idea for a ride or show I have ever heard about.

Battling natures disasters...Clone the TDS ride to monitor tsunamis and even prevent one in a ride/simulator.

Get rid of Autopia or whatever its called nowadays, get really modern, no gas engines, have on board navs and such( real cars have them!)

Have a show building with alternate Tomorrows, what earth would have been if technology from the 20th century was introduced back to the 1800's.

Create an undersea dome metropolis, an illusion of traveling by undersea elevator to an underwater city, New Atlantis, be part of exploring undersea mining, new medicine research and discovering unheard of or exstinct species (like a megalodon, a prehistoric shark)

The theme of Tomorrowland is this, its our choice on how make today into tomorrow and survive or many problems of overcrowded cities, foreign oil dependance, survivability of natural and man made global disasters. Especially how to adapt if a sudden Ice Age erupts, but then if it really did all this is moot as DL would be just 55 acres under a glacier....
    Micechat member # 98

TARDIS
    "Time And Relative Dimension In Space."

Hi everybody, first post...

What to do with Tomorrowland...

Revamp Star Tours...Change the shuttles to an open air carriage similar to CA soaring. However maintain the gymbol (ie shuttle) movement. Replace the Star Wars theme with a theme of ... -The Black Hole-... We can expand this to having Disney remake this classic movie. Have either Ridley Scott or James Cameron direct the movie. Tie in the movie with the ride. New ride and theme. Do not involve Eisner.

Get rid of Innoventions. Have to seperate levels with two seperate rides. The lower level would be Circle Vision 360. Imagine being in a place where the movie pans left or right, and the theater actually rotates? A whole new dimension...The upper level could be a planitarium type theater with a more educational theme. You could maybe tie in the rotations of the building. Might be complicated trying to get two attractions timed together, but this is Disney! Do not involve Eisner.

Rebuild the People Mover. Where the ride enters buildings have new animatronic displays. Call this "History of Tomorrow". One display could be Thomas Edison working in his laboratory. Have different scenes throught out the ride, but shown in chronological order. Might have to construct new buildings in the outdoor portions of the track. Do not involve Eisner.

Any thoughts?

(Oh, and please don't involve Eisner.)

Ted

One huge new e-ticket ride. All of the separate areas of unused empty space around Tomorrowland could be integrated into one creative attraction. Use the second story of the Starcade and its adjoining outside patio, the relatively unused Innoventions building, the old Motor Boats lagoon area or maybe the Honey I Shrunk the Audience space, all tied together by the Peoplemover track. Although something completely original would definitely be preferable, a ride like Test Track would fit perfectly, both space wise and theme wise. Yes I know, they already tried the Rocket Rods, just chalk it up as practice for the real thing.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Scanair
    Hi everybody, first post...

What to do with Tomorrowland...

Revamp Star Tours...Change the shuttles to an open air carriage similar to CA soaring. However maintain the gymbol (ie shuttle) movement. Replace the Star Wars theme with a theme of ... -The Black Hole-... We can expand this to having Disney remake this classic movie. Have either Ridley Scott or James Cameron direct the movie. Tie in the movie with the ride. New ride and theme. Do not involve Eisner.

Get rid of Innoventions. Have to seperate levels with two seperate rides. The lower level would be Circle Vision 360. Imagine being in a place where the movie pans left or right, and the theater actually rotates? A whole new dimension...The upper level could be a planitarium type theater with a more educational theme. You could maybe tie in the rotations of the building. Might be complicated trying to get two attractions timed together, but this is Disney! Do not involve Eisner.

Rebuild the People Mover. Where the ride enters buildings have new animatronic displays. Call this "History of Tomorrow". One display could be Thomas Edison working in his laboratory. Have different scenes throught out the ride, but shown in chronological order. Might have to construct new buildings in the outdoor portions of the track. Do not involve Eisner.

Any thoughts?

(Oh, and please don't involve Eisner.)

Ted
    Peoplemover meets Carousel of Progress? That actually sounds cool, Maybe a tunnel of Man's inventions, '"Historical"? I know Some of you are thinking Innoventions oh no!! Why not start it with the light bulb and go through time until now. Also I agree Oust the Eisner Kronies!!

Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast