Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast

• With my wife....

I like the retro future idea. Didn't DL Paris do something like that with space mtn? A Jules Verne thing?

Quote Originally Posted by E-ticket
    I like the retro future idea. Didn't DL Paris do something like that with space mtn? A Jules Verne thing?
    that's what OUR Tomorrowland is right now

we tried to copy Paris and it didn't work and now it stinks (I hate Retro future btw I'd perfer it if we moved on to a Sci Fi future type outlook similar to Star Trek)

• With my wife....

Does it stink because it's done retro, or because it's just not done well?

I think the retro idea is great because it fits in with the whole "fantasy" element of Disney. All of the other lands are charicatures of what they're trying to represent... Main street is reminiscent of the turn-of-the-century. Adventureland is a larger-than-life jungle representation. Frontierland is an idealized picture of the old west... otherwise we'd have white men running Indians off of their land.

Why not drop the serious tone of the world of tomorrow, stop trying to approach it from a scientific perspective, and create a fantastical vision of what tomorrow could be? It's Disneyland.... it's OK to bend the rules a bit.
    "I could never convince the financiers that Disneyland was feasible because dreams offer too little collateral"

--Walt Disney

• /sigh

I agree with E-Ticket. It's great when the park has a familiar yet sureal atmosphere. However, I also agree with Jspider in that it could be a little bit more sci-fi. But, people get the notion that sci-fi needs to be cold and stark...lots of concrete and metal. Not so. I say bring in the post modern architecture with the beautiful combination of both the steel and the organic. Now that's sci-fi.
    Marge: Barnacle Bill's Home Pregnancy Test? Homer, shouldn't we have gone with a better-known brand?
    Homer: But Marge, this one came with a corn-cob pipe!
    Marge: [reading from the test box] "Ahoy, Maties! If the water turns blue, a baby for you! If purple ye see, no baby thar be!"
    Homer: So, which is it? Blue or purple?
    Marge: Pink.
    Homer: D'oh!
    Marge: "If ye test should fail, to a doctor set sail!"

• Baybeh!

I think it's more the color scheme they chose. It could look way more sci-fi if they go with silvers and blues. The current scheme looks rusty and tired, like it's been neglected for 100 years

Quote Originally Posted by swagdaddy
    I think it's more the color scheme they chose. It could look way more sci-fi if they go with silvers and blues. The current scheme looks rusty and tired, like it's been neglected for 100 years
    true!

white with blue and silver accents is almost a copywritten stylistic color story for "futuristic". it seems like such the obvious choice- you can take the same buildings and make them look much more crisp and exciting than in the current color story.

and truth be told, i've seen "creative types" making broad gestures in tomorrowland with plans tucked under their arms. so hopefully paint and plantings. or a great water feature bracketing the entry.

• Banned User

it needs a "Resturaunt At The End of The Universe" Resturaunt.. anfd best of all... I think Touchstone has rights to it.....

Get it... perfect eatery for Starcade??? then have a "Hitchicker's guide to the Galaxy" ride how Sci-fi is that?? (just forget the earth blowing up part..)

• Vehicle rotating backward

While I've always wanted to see The Restaurant At The End Of The Universe, I don't really think it's an appropriate destination in Disneyland, but to each their own.

It would probably look oddly like Encounter at LAX anyway.

• /sigh

You're right, blue and silver is such a stylistic color for the "future" that it soon becomes a bit cliche...don't you think?
    Marge: Barnacle Bill's Home Pregnancy Test? Homer, shouldn't we have gone with a better-known brand?
    Marge: [reading from the test box] "Ahoy, Maties! If the water turns blue, a baby for you! If purple ye see, no baby thar be!"

• Minion

>>You're right, blue and silver is such a stylistic color for the "future" that it soon becomes a bit cliche...don't you think?<<

I'd rather have an awesome cliche than just plain butt-ugly.

• /sigh

hehehe..true, true. I defintely wouldn't want a "butt-ugly" themed land. However, there must be a happy medium of color/design/theme that is altogether eye catching, futuristic, and just altogether fantastically amazing, without it being already "done before". But, I'm sure the creative designers are way ahead of that...i hope

I personally like the color theme that is there currently, very organic, but I feel that they went a little crazy with the paint rollers. A little color goes a long way. If they kept the orange/blue/greens in small doeses as the secondary colors, add hints of the silver and gold and then used, say black, as the main color choice...that would really make the area "pop". (Just a suggestion..don't take it to heart)

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuzco-topia
    I personally like the color theme that is there currently, very organic . . .
    I totally agree. I love the current scheme. The problem is that they didn't apply it to the entire land. They also spent a heck of a lot more effort on the paint scheme than they did with the attractions. How does HISTA fit into the art-nemo Tomorrowland? Why must we suffer with a revolving two story advertisment for Segway? If Tomorrowland stuck to its theme, I don't think the color scheme would be a problem.

Discoveryland in Paris has our color scheme, more or less, and it is simply fantastic. Of course, to date all the attractions fit the theme of the land, it all just feels so right there.

If only Imagineering had the vision and the clout to make the changes necessary at Disneyland. Ahhhhh, to dream the impossible dream . . .
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage
    If only Imagineering had the vision and the clout to make the changes necessary at Disneyland. Ahhhhh, to dream the impossible dream . . .
    and budget... remember..

DL's TL was done the way it was due to budget reasons... they wanted AE.. but it was repalced with an eatery due to budget... they wanted the have AO on top of the platform.. but the structure couldn't hold it and thus.. more money to be spent.. RR to ahve baked turns.. nope not with this budget...

The way DL is now is their might be a larger budget overall by doing this in more than what 2 years???

More budget for paint everywhere... more budget to fix rides up, add more rides, and possibly repalce rides that are now underperforming.. AKA HISTA....

(Replacing starcade with a resturaunt and adding a ride in Pizza port would be great... but would it work with a budget... Where would DL's arcade be?? (should be isomewhere else.. perhaps if you keep some in innoventions... like on the top floor have an arcade sponsored by Sega or whoever??)

Oh and i think people have tried to do the resturaunt.. but it would require money to do... and animatronics.. and special effects... whcih i believe Disney can do.... (though instead of TL... as i stated before... maby DCA... in the hollywood section... since it is from a Touchstone film???)

• /sigh

Ah, come on...you mean the Segway isn't the new futuristic means of human kind transportation? Didn't you hear? Walking is a way of the past. Soon, everyone will be gliding along city streets at 2.5 mph for only $3ooo a pop!

Welcome to Disneyland!...brought to you by (money hungry sponser).
    Last edited by Cuzco-topia; 01-24-2005 at 06:23 PM.

• Old Timer

Do we really want TL to look like a stage out of Zenon? and have all the CM's talk like then?
    Is that what the imagineers think our near future is?
    Micechat member # 98

TARDIS
    "Time And Relative Dimension In Space."

Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast