View Poll Results: Visitors... What do you think DCA needs most?

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • ATMOSPHERE: Ie Blue Bayou restaurant, Sleeping Beauty Castle, or the nations of EPCOT

52 46.43%
  • THRILLS: The rides are too sparse or too tame

11 9.82%
  • FAMILY OPTIONS: DCA needs more for the kids and toddlers to do

3 2.68%
  • SIZE: The park needs all of the above, just MORE of them

46 41.07%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Re: California Adventure's Missing....

Quote Originally Posted by Jspider
    the layout is a bit funny but I don't find it all that confusing and I've recently heard rumor of there being a path built between A Bugs Land and ToT (from a reputable source) this would make for much better trafflic flow I think
    I hadn't thought about it, given how much free space there is, but flow is an issue I guess. If you are in any given "land" - with the exception of the Golden State, which links to the Pier AND Bugs Land - you have to backtrack to the land entrance to get out. This is especially true of Hollywood Backlot and Bugs Land, which are tucked away in their own corners with only one entrance area in or out.

A simple bridge where Jspider mentioned - between ToT and Bugs - would mean that you could literally walk a loop around the park and back again. As it stands, both Bugs and Hollywood have 'dead ends'.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

• See you there!

It really needs a good full-server restaurtant. I really miss the Soap Opera Bistro. Good food, entertaining.

A place on par with Blue Bayou would also be good.

Just MHO, YMMV

CU@DL

Andy

• My Children's Father

Quote Originally Posted by Jspider
    I suppose I find the poll selection a bit tricky too, seems like I'd have to choose between thrills and the kiddy rides

I really think what DCA needs most of all are rides that are reridable with massive capacity and are fun for the whole family

yeah i'm talking about the HM/PotC equivilants that people ask for all the time

put in two rides like that and I think alot of people would stay in the park for much longer (I would)
    This is what I was thinking. DCA needs what is somewhat commonly referred to as "Dark Rides". DL has Snow White, Mr. Toad, etc. in Fantasyland, as well as the E-ticket worthy Indiana Jones, Splash Mountain, HM, POTC, as well as RRCS, and BLAB .......... of those, only Splash and Indy exclude little kids, most 6 or 7 year olds are able to ride them ........ DCA has the new Monsters Inc. ride, and I'll stretch the definition of Dark Ride to include Tower of Terror. That's 2, compared to DL's 12 or so (depending on how you define the term).

IMHO, Dark Rides is what makes an amusement park into a theme park.

Suggestion to the OP: When conducting polls like this, include an option for "other" .....
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

Quote Originally Posted by pixie chick
    i voted for size because it had the "all of the above" option. i really don't think DCA needs to be any bigger, they just need to use the space more efficiently.

while i appreciate the larger walkways, it seems like there is too much empty space. empty space isn't always a bad thing, but when you're walking around a theme park looking for something to do, it is. the biggest thing that comes to mind is the lagoon. it sure makes for a pretty picture with the lights from paradise pier at night, but it's more than just a little wasted space.
    I am right there with you. The park layout doesn't really work for me. I didn't notice this much until I took my toddler by myself and realized just how much walking we had to do to get from one place to another. And there were not many places to sit down and eat unless you had "priority seating".

I don't mind walking to get places, but the difference between DL and DCA is that at DL you pass a variety of things (stores, restaurants, attractions, themed buildings) on your way to where you're going. At DCA, so many things are closed or empty that you just seem to walk and walk. I am also really disappointed with that Wharf area. It's HUGE and there's really not much there.

I think the whole park is underutilized, and I feel like they didn't plan well enough prior to opening. Hopefully they will work on this and make it the park that it could and should be.

• Rock Star Minion

I saw the title of the thread, and was doing cartwheels...
    Then got slap by the right hand of reality.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Silly Bird?

Quote Originally Posted by Donnasmr
    I think the whole park is underutilized, and I feel like they didn't plan well enough prior to opening. Hopefully they will work on this and make it the park that it could and should be.
    Does this mean that the park has enough rides, big and small but is not properly surrounding them with lush fauna and quality themeing?
    "You know it's a funny thing, but when I drink too many Gin and Tonics I start to glow in the dark."
    A. Trebek, Jeopardy, aired 7/15/2010

SHAMELESS PLUG- Check out my gallery of original ride music...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GLbC...layer_embedded

• Curiouser and Curiouser

They need a creative E-Ticket that is unique to their park, sort of like Indiana Jones in DL

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mission Seagull
    Does this mean that the park has enough rides, big and small but is not properly surrounding them with lush fauna and quality themeing?
    Meh, it's missing an attractive theme. Everything pretty much follws from that decision.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

All...but priority #1...atmosphere.

• Banned User

The park needs more "texture." Right now its a jumble of concrete, steel, stucko, and neon lighting.

• For You!

I love DCA -I would love to see a big water ride based on the ocean or something.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Cool Re: California Adventure's Missing....

Quote Originally Posted by BFJen
    I love DCA -I would love to see a big water ride based on the ocean or something.
    AGREED ! ! ! I see "more theme" and "bigger park" are the biggest vote getters so far.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I think this is the last chance for us to weigh in on the development of that old Disneyland parking lot... We've got one foot in (the grave?), what are we gonna do from here folks? This will one day be seen as a major turning point in the Disneyland Resort's development from one park and a hotel to a three hotel, two park resort under Eisner/Braverman/Pressler/Harriss to the new deal with Iger/Jobs/Lassiter/Ouimet.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey
    Ditto ditto ditto.

I notice the extraordinarily accomidating walkways everytime I pass through the section of the "performance corridor" between Sunshine Plaza and the entryway to Paradise Peir. It's enormous, although wide walkways are nice, its hard to not notice how much wasted space is there. Not to mention the HUGE Fortune Cookery building as well as the under-utilized space of the Pacific Wharfarea that can be seen from this path.. that building could be wiped out for some new space for a new attraction.

A huge problem with DCA is the layout of everything... it feels and looks like it was layed out so haphazzardly and its so blatantly obvious that poor planning equaled so much mis-used space.

I do appreciate the small pieces atmosphere throughout the park - theres not enough of it, but what is there is really great. I love the grape vines going up the side of the mountain next to the Golden Vine Winery entrance, the beautiful Grizzly Peak waterfalls across from the entrance to A Bug's Land, the clever themeing of A Bug's Land (even if the attractions themselves are deplorable), the air-strip themeing of Condor Flats (which I find to be one of the most evocative, romantic settings in the park), and the incredibly photogenic view of Paradise Pier from across the bay (despite the Pier being very obviously underthemed when viewed upclose).
    I disagree- people just don't want attractions, they want restaurants as well...what you say would destroy that. Guys you just can't have attractions, you need restaurants as well; I agree changes have to be made- but tearing out the Wharf's a bad idea.

1. A greater ability to complement The Magic Kingdom of Disneyland, conceptually-speaking and storytelling-wise.

2. More depth, romance, and evocativeness through a greater sense of history.

3. More "random visual detail", vegetation, and guest comforts.

4. Removal of the elements that weaken the park, creatively-speaking, such as most of the Route 66 area and many of the names for the various park features.

5. More of a purpose, such as being a "museum of living facts" and a "community center", to borrow the terms Walt Disney used to describe Disneyland proper.

6. Greater authenticity through actual historical buildings and artifacts, as well as actual wildlife and marine life.

7. More elaborate stories and shows at generic attractions, such as Grizzly River Run.

8. More educational components regarding Californian subject matter, such as moviemaking, computers, and space exploration.

9. A lower price of admission relative to that of The Magic Kingdom.

10. A stronger connection to The Walt Disney Company, itself.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 03-14-2006 at 01:15 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast