Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by PeoplemoverMatt
    This whole thread is saying to me...

Hello pot? This is kettle. You're black!
    I agree.

Geeks criticizing other geeks.

I hate to say, but if you're on this board (or any other) you're a geek. And if you feel the need to start a new thread about something, you're really a geek.

Be kind to your fellow geeks, folks. You never know when you might find yourself singled out as the creepy guy in the room.

• It's all nonsense

But see there's a difference between being geeky and being creepy. Being geeky is standing next to someone by the sub lagoon and mentioning that they are going to do a nemo overlay in the next few years. Being creepy is a 50yo man dressed up as peter pan (tights and all), with a tinkerbell backpack waiting to ride peter pan's flight, and singing the words of the peter pan theme song.

• Original Mice-Chatter

oh my- that's horrifying

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter
    But see there's a difference between being geeky and being creepy.
    I agree with this. All of us single park stormers know that there are times to contribute, and times to shut the hell up. But there are those who just don't know the difference, who have a storehouse of knowledge and by god they're gonna USE IT on someone! Being kind to sweet old George the gardener is a far cry from dealing with the weird old guy with the strange sparkle in his eye who wants to tell you about his personal history with the park.

I'm a basically nice person, but I don't mind gently shutting someone down, especially when I'm on vacation and am, by definition, in a selfish mode. Usually you can do it nicely, but if you have to get rude, well sometimes you gotta do it.

• Greetings, Program!

I've watched this thread grow and grow, with many viewpoints being presented.

I'd like to point out something I have noticed, having been a single rider, and having been a cast member. It's a philosophy I realized after studying many behaviors and talking to many, many people while at the park. It may provoke anger, or maybe bring some people down, but this simply seems to be the rule of thumb......

Single riders are only 'creepy' if they're not good looking.
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

• Shubisha

A lot of the people who keep track of random knowledge on things are eager to spout it off to the nearest outlet. 90% of participants on boards like these are likely guilty myself included. Other people really don't care though. They might be interested to some degree but they don't care and like everyone before me said are trying to have a nice time with friends and family at the park

I hear people in line having conversations and spouting off stuff they heard and a lot of the time it's wrong or is missing details I happen to know. The creepy people are the ones who'll take this as an opportunity to jump in, rev up their engines, and go. Only time I pipe up is if they're asking a question out loud about something I really think they want the answer to that I can help them out with by giving a quick answer and then be done with it. Just not worth it otherwise and, like I said, most people really don't care anyways heh.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

^^ Nicely put. I'm the same - I'll be happy to contribute if I feel it's warranted, but just as happy to keep my mouth shut. I've been in long lines where a question was thrown out and I gave the answer, and then I was everyone's Disney expert for the rest of the line. It's really fun for everyone when the vibe is right. I've also mis-read the situation, and contributed where I thought it was warranted, and had people just about freak out and run from the crazy man. You gotta pick your moments . . .

• It's all nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung
    run from the crazy man. .
    That should be your custom user title.

• Santa Barbara, CA

If I'm alone in line and wearing any Orange, they usually ask me what I'm in for or if I'm alone. I tell them im on probation and it was my wish to come to DL befroe serving. I am doing time for arson in a hospital. The next response is that I'm not alone at all and I start talking as if I'm with Walt (i do both parts too). It's not really embarassing because I have a princess mask on.

Sometimes I say that I tied up my kids on TSI in a cave so i can go on some rides.

It's fun to mess with people...like you.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• Disney worshipper/geek

Quote Originally Posted by mickhyperion
    I agree.

Geeks criticizing other geeks.

I hate to say, but if you're on this board (or any other) you're a geek. And if you feel the need to start a new thread about something, you're really a geek.

Be kind to your fellow geeks, folks. You never know when you might find yourself singled out as the creepy guy in the room.

But the thing about this whole issue is that there are good-natured geeks and geeks with less than good intent. (For further explanation, see Elijah Wood's character in 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind') We live in a world where we want to have compassion...the problem is, how can you tell if a random single rider in Disneyland is a good-natured geek like us or someone with bad intentions? This is not only a Disneyland problem, but a global social issue, really. In Disneyland, I think you just expect it to be less of a problem...
    My mind won't rest
    and I don't sleep
    Not even in my dreams...
    -"If You Ever Did Believe"
    written by Stevie Nicks

Chasen Matthew Pacheco
    1985-2005

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by LSPoorEeyorick
    I know. I don't come off as creepy or weird. I'm just saying that the "creepy" guy is probably lonely, too, and deserving of compassion. Not to say that I'd be happy if creepy mccreeperson followed me around all day, just that I'd feel bad for him.
    I have to agree. I highly doubt anyone finds me creepy as I am an eighteen year old girl, but there have been many times when I want to talk to people in lines when I am at the park by myself.

Quote Originally Posted by xfkirsten
    I kind of find the oppsite case quite often... I usually go to the parks by myself. So while I'm waiting in line, I usually bring homework or something to do (how many people can say they've done a take-home physics exam in the Indy queue? ).
    I wrote an English paper on Tom Sawyer Island once.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizmo2000

Single riders are only 'creepy' if they're not good looking.
    I think it's amusing nobody else has been willing to admit this yet. I'm not stroking my own ego here, but this is another reason why nobody would find me creepy if I started talking about ride capacities etc.

Something I have noticed at Disneyland is that there isn't much tolerance for the "weird", that people get uptight when they see adults like this alone in the park. It's highly likely that they have some sort of disorder. I used to work in retail and this "Rainman" would come talk to us every Sunday, all day. He never bothered the customers and he would leave if we were too busy. There were two ways to handle it: to be rude and run him off like everyone else had his entire life, or to show compassion and treat him like you would want to be treated. It's depressing how few people choose the latter.

• Greetings, Program!

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle

I wrote an English paper on Tom Sawyer Island once.
    I was found writing song lyrics (back when I thought I was gonna be a singer) in a notebook on the Island many many times back in the 80's. People often thought I was doing homework.

• Greetings, Program!

Quote Originally Posted by sorceress1986

...the problem is, how can you tell if a random single rider in Disneyland is a good-natured geek like us or someone with bad intentions? ..

Good question. I was the guy who never talked to anyone unless I was asked something. I had headphones on most of the time anyway. I know this may sound snobbish, but I found 'the other people' to be an annoyance somehow. I mean, I do love going with freinds, but when I went on my solo trips, I was there to escape. I could stop and think and stare at the dusk and just lose myself. I loved my solo excursions. I miss them.

Hmmm...maybe I was 'creepy' cause I kept to myself?

• Minion

I had a definitely creepy experience once. It was around 11:00 PM, and we were going to ride Thunder Mt. I was there with my friend, we're both teenagers. Right before we entered the line, some guy came up to us and asked us if we had insurance. We thought maybe he was trying to make a joke because of the accident where someone was killed, and asking if we had life insurance (which seemed off-color to me), but we just asked, "Excuse me?" politely. He repeated the question, we just said, "Ummm, I'm not sure." and left. When we got off the ride, he was STILL there! We just quickly walked away. Finally, as we were exiting the park at midnight and going to the lockers to pick up our stuff, HE WAS THERE AGAIN! He asked the same thing (not sure if he was talking to us or anybody in particular) and we freaked out and RAN (yes, I know you are not supposed to run) out the park. It wouldn't have been nearly as creepy if it hadn't been midnight with not that many people still at the park, but we were definitely creeped out. He was probably just a harmless guy who was a little mentally ill, but still, you never know. That's the creepiest experience I've ever had.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast