• Disneyland Nomad

POTC and the Past

I was trying to search for a thread like this, so forgive me if it is. A thought crossed my mind today while listening to the 50th celebration album. We all know Pirates is know officially changing to be like the movie. Yet I was wondering who is for the change and who is not? My thoughts are kind of in the middle.
    While I was working at Disney last summer I had the privilage to meet Julie Andrew. All that was asked was what was her favorite ride and this is what she said, "I would have to say that it would be Pirates, because that was the first ride I ever went on in Disneyland and I got to rode it with Walt. Who was just beaming about it." I have seen enough documentaries, to know Walt put a lot of time and effort into making that ride. The park was his baby, but of all the rides that was his favorite.
    I liked the movie but, I thought it was supposed to be parishly taken from the ride. Why change the ride that inspired the movie? Why change what Walt loved? Yet I could argue the fact Walt was always looking towards the future, and change. I'm excited but, at the same time sad. This isn't Walt's park anymore is it?

• Banned User

Re: POTC and the Past

Quote Originally Posted by karebear286
    I was trying to search for a thread like this, so forgive me if it is. A thought crossed my mind today while listening to the 50th celebration album. We all know Pirates is know officially changing to be like the movie. Yet I was wondering who is for the change and who is not? My thoughts are kind of in the middle.
    While I was working at Disney last summer I had the privilage to meet Julie Andrew. All that was asked was what was her favorite ride and this is what she said, "I would have to say that it would be Pirates, because that was the first ride I ever went on in Disneyland and I got to rode it with Walt. Who was just beaming about it." I have seen enough documentaries, to know Walt put a lot of time and effort into making that ride. The park was his baby, but of all the rides that was his favorite.
    I liked the movie but, I thought it was supposed to be parishly taken from the ride. Why change the ride that inspired the movie? Why change what Walt loved? Yet I could argue the fact Walt was always looking towards the future, and change. I'm excited but, at the same time sad. This isn't Walt's park anymore is it?
    No it is far from Walt's park now. As soon as they installed the first ride with a height restriction was the day that went away.

Height Restriction?

Off the top of my head, I know that in 1957 Autopia had a height restriction, so there was at least one back during Walt's time. I'm sure there were others. How is it that adding a height restriction was the turning point?
    "Say, uh, ever hear of the devil's paint pots? Real mystery of the desert. Bubblin' pots of mud in all kinds of colors."

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

...how could Walt have ridden it if he had died the year before it opened?

"Walt's" park? Walt constantly promoted his movies...he made Sleeping Beauty Castle the landmark of Disneyland before the movie even opened. The Pirates updates, from a business standpoint, are some of the best ideas that they Disney company has come up with...do you have any idea how big this franchise is? Not only that, but they're putting in these absolutely awesome and new special effects, with top of the line AAs...

Why jump to criticize something before anyone has even seen it?

"If it ain't broken, don't fix it." Would you say that about your computer which takes 5 minutes to load a new online page? About a relationship? A sprain on the body?

Better to update something than let it rot away until it's decided to be ripped out for something like the Pooh ride, or a new meet-and-greet area. Let the new generations appreciate the ride, too...most people don't know that the ride came before the movie, and that's only going to continue. The park is for everyone, not just for Disneyland Purist Extremists

• Clearing my Calendar

^ Well said!

As for me, I'm looking forward to it. What I'm not looking forward to is not knowing when I'll be able to see it for myself. Hmm.
    "But every night, when it gets dark
    and the stars come out,
    I'll look up on her behalf.
    I'll look up in the sky and think of you."

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

No it isn't Walt's park any more, and that's not a bad thing. His own vision was that "Disneyland will never be completed..." and if he were to suddenly come back, I think he'd be disappointed if the park he built hadn't changed in 50 years. Indeed, he be very disappointed - as chances are that the place wouldn't be running any more if it was the same park from the 1950s and 1960s.

The beauty of Disney rides is that they inform, and are informed BY, popular culture. Pirates has become a definite part of the popular consciousness, and this was partly the reason for the success of the film. Consequently, the subsequent movie has now informed the ride. I can't think of a more symbiotic relationship than that one. It would be completely foolish of Disney to ignore the success of the movie in the ride. Besides, Eisner added the "Curse of the Black Pearl" to the title, simply so that people wouldn't immediately associate the movie and the film. I thought theme park enthusiasts would be happy that Disney recognises how intertwined the relationship between the two is.

Walt's park is gone. Long live Walt's park. Walt's park didn't have a Splash Mountain, it didn't have Star Tours, Indiana Jones, Space Mountain or Big Thunder Mountain. However, I doubt you would find many Disneyland fans that would think the park was better off without them. Change is inevitable, and if that list is any guide, it is a good thing. Walt's park remains alive here, but his vision of a park that would be popular with children of ALL generations only remains alive through constant change.

Besides, on the 100th anniversary, when Jack Sparrow is being removed for the Hollywood remake of Pirates of the Caribbean (we know it's inevitable), there will be the equivalent of netizens having this very conversation. Frankly, that fills me with a great sense of joy.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

• Disneyland Nomad

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict
    That what I thought maybe she had memories crossed, but I think that the message was there about how she knew he loved it? Maybe?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by karebear286
    While I was working at Disney last summer I had the privilage to meet Julie Andrew. All that was asked was what was her favorite ride and this is what she said, "I would have to say that it would be Pirates, because that was the first ride I ever went on in Disneyland and I got to rode it with Walt. Who was just beaming about it."
    Did she ride it with Walt before it was complete? If I remember correctly he was not alive when the ride opened. However he was alive when the Blue Bayou opened.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

They could have done test rides before it opened

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

"Walt's" park? Walt constantly promoted his movies...he made Sleeping Beauty Castle the landmark of Disneyland before the movie even opened. The Pirates updates, from a business standpoint, are some of the best ideas that they Disney company has come up with...do you have any idea how big this franchise is? Not only that, but they're putting in these absolutely awesome and new special effects, with top of the line AAs...

Why jump to criticize something before anyone has even seen it?

"If it ain't broken, don't fix it." Would you say that about your computer which takes 5 minutes to load a new online page? About a relationship? A sprain on the body?

Better to update something than let it rot away until it's decided to be ripped out for something like the Pooh ride, or a new meet-and-greet area. Let the new generations appreciate the ride, too...most people don't know that the ride came before the movie, and that's only going to continue. The park is for everyone, not just for Disneyland Purist Extremists
    Winnie the Pooh the Ride 2: Escape from the Cursed Honey Pot!!!

• no flash photography...

I'm not sure walt would have cared. Once a project was finished he moved on. He liked to work on new things and DL was not the new thing he was focused on...he had just signed that paper to start work in Florida. I feel he was moving on.....

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Loomis
    No it isn't Walt's park any more, and that's not a bad thing. His own vision was that "Disneyland will never be completed..." and if he were to suddenly come back, I think he'd be disappointed if the park he built hadn't changed in 50 years. Indeed, he be very disappointed - as chances are that the place wouldn't be running any more if it was the same park from the 1950s and 1960s.

The beauty of Disney rides is that they inform, and are informed BY, popular culture. Pirates has become a definite part of the popular consciousness, and this was partly the reason for the success of the film. Consequently, the subsequent movie has now informed the ride. I can't think of a more symbiotic relationship than that one. It would be completely foolish of Disney to ignore the success of the movie in the ride. Besides, Eisner added the "Curse of the Black Pearl" to the title, simply so that people wouldn't immediately associate the movie and the film. I thought theme park enthusiasts would be happy that Disney recognises how intertwined the relationship between the two is.

Walt's park is gone. Long live Walt's park. Walt's park didn't have a Splash Mountain, it didn't have Star Tours, Indiana Jones, Space Mountain or Big Thunder Mountain. However, I doubt you would find many Disneyland fans that would think the park was better off without them. Change is inevitable, and if that list is any guide, it is a good thing. Walt's park remains alive here, but his vision of a park that would be popular with children of ALL generations only remains alive through constant change.

Besides, on the 100th anniversary, when Jack Sparrow is being removed for the Hollywood remake of Pirates of the Caribbean (we know it's inevitable), there will be the equivalent of netizens having this very conversation. Frankly, that fills me with a great sense of joy.
    Anyone who does not expect the park to change is silly. I bet by the 100th anniversary, the park will be so different that it will not look like it is today. Rides we consider classic today will be lost to the future generations. The appeal for the rides we like today will no longer be there 50 years down the road.....Unless Disney keeps improving the current rides and adding newer ones. CHANGE IS UN-AVOIDABLE!!!!