• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Disneyland Guest Relations - Completely clueless or just left out of the loop?

I just called DLR Guest Relations (714-781-7290) to poke around for some info regarding Rock it Mountain, seeing if they had information about a public launch after the Grad Nite season was over. Interestingly enough, the CM I spoke with didn't even know about Rock it Mountain being at Grad Nite, despite there being a recent press release that I had to inform him about.

Are Guest Relations CMs just clueless and don't really care sometimes, or does Disney leave them as out-of-the-loop as they leave the rest of us?

It was kind of neat though that while he went to check on info for me, he played the old Space Mountain soundtrack - always in-theme, eh?

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Banned User

Re: Disneyland Guest Relations - Completely clueless or just left out of the loop?

Or it could be that they have rules of what they're allowed to discuss...

I know/knew lots about of what was going on at WDW, but in my position I literally had items flagged as "Do not discuss."

Re: Disneyland Guest Relations - Completely clueless or just left out of the loop?

Can't speak for Guest Relations, but internal communication is always a problem. Disney wants to keep some information under wraps as most companies do, until they can unveil it at the opportune moment. So most information is quite contained to those involved.
    Ask the Guest Relations CMs about the upcoming changes to Haunted Mansion that Al reported, they probably won't know since it has not been spread around CMwise other some CMs actually working HM.
    So I think they are out of the loop in the sense they don't have any direct line to secret upcoming stuff. They are still the best source for questions about the resort as it is now though.
    The Next Big Disney Thing: starts Jan. 3rd

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

I understand that some things aren't supposed to be discussed, that's why I didn't call before it was publicly announced. The CM didn't even know about the press release, which is why I asked my question in the OP. I assumed if Disney announced Rock it Mountain through a press release the guest relations CMs would at least know that much (or at least be allowed to talk about that much)

| | |

• DLR -> WDW Cast Member

Don't you think that public opening information would have been in the press release then (I don't recall even being a press release, they usually don't send one out for Grad Nites)? Even then, a public grand opening probably hasn't been decided yet save for showing it off during Grad Nites.

RockIt Mountain hasn't really been publically announced, save for Grad Nite, which is a private hard-ticketed event.
    Burnt Toast
    The Magic Begins With Me...! 8:P

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Toast
    Don't you think that public opening information would have been in the press release then (I don't recall even being a press release, they usually don't send one out for Grad Nites)? Even then, a public grand opening probably hasn't been decided yet save for showing it off during Grad Nites.

RockIt Mountain hasn't really been publically announced, save for Grad Nite, which is a private hard-ticketed event.
    They didnt send out a press release for the sake of Grad Nites, they sent it out to announce Rock it Mountain would be a Grad Nite-exclusive deal... (Link to the official press release: http://www.disneylandnews.com/articl...article_id=131)

I would assume information regarding a public opening would have been in the press release, however it was not, and since there have been mixed signals if this is going to be a public attraction after Grad Nite, I called Disneyland to find out.

Oh well. The point of my post was that its kind of strange Disneyland Guest Relations CMs don't info that they may need from Disney. If not ALL info, at least the info that's been dished out in Press Releases should be there for the CMs, dont you think?

Or maybe Guest Relations shouldnt even be called for things like this - theyre more or less for customer service, which attractions are open, info about merch, hotels, park hours, etc huh?

Oh well.

| | |

Guest Relations is not the "spokes-department" for the Park. try Publicity/Press Relations for official information.

• DLR -> WDW Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey
    Or maybe Guest Relations shouldnt even be called for things like this - theyre more or less for customer service, which attractions are open, info about merch, hotels, park hours, etc huh?
    Well, this is just like how Bob Iger was asked about the lighting levels around the Matterhorn. j/k

Anyways, they haven't announced that RockIt Mountain will be available after Grad Nites... so why would they tell you if it will be over the phone? That information is not officially available yet, hence it wasn't on the press release or perhaps a new press release made specifically about RockIt Mountain being opened to the public. :P GR can only give you publically known information and RockIt Mountain has not been announced to the public yet, just as a Grad Nite thing so far.

It's not them being clueless... you just asked them a question they can't answer or is not appropriate for them to do so at this time.
    Burnt Toast
    The Magic Begins With Me...! 8:P

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Toast
    Well, this is just like how Bob Iger was asked about the lighting levels around the Matterhorn. j/k

Anyways, they haven't announced that RockIt Mountain will be available after Grad Nites... so why would they tell you if it will be over the phone? That information is not officially available yet, hence it wasn't on the press release or perhaps a new press release made specifically about RockIt Mountain being opened to the public. :P GR can only give you publically known information and RockIt Mountain has not been announced to the public yet, just as a Grad Nite thing so far.

It's not them being clueless... you just asked them a question they can't answer or is not appropriate for them to do so at this time.
    Nevermind me asking an unanswerable question to Guest Relations. I was hoping I would luck out and get an answer.

My main objective for this post, which I admit I was a bit unclear about, was why the CM didn't even know about the Press Release, which I would assume would be part of his/her job since they get people like me who call about things that arent supposed to be asked from Guest Relations CM.

Oh well. Its alright, forget about it.

| | |

• Banned User

Guest Relations's job is to know the day-to-day current operation of a park, and Guest Communications handles everything else. Atleast, that's how it works in Orlando. If you're not on Disney property or your problem/request doesn't pertain to the current week, you canno even talk to Guest Relations at WDW, everything goes through Guest Communications.

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

Hey, I gotta hand it to GR at City Hall. I once stepped in to ask what kind of dog Pluto is. They looked it up and found out! (Wish I could remember, though).

• Clearing my Calendar

It would seem he's a bloodhound. Not quite Trusty, but okay.

It also lists his g/f's name, too. I remember, quite a while back, someone was inquiring about it.
    "But every night, when it gets dark
    and the stars come out,
    I'll look up on her behalf.
    I'll look up in the sky and think of you."

• CM for 4 years!

Uhh... Guest Relations in City Hall drives me NUTS!
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.