Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Wishing I was at the DLR!

Re: Bengal BBQ- Is it gone yet?

Bengal BBQ was open for business on just this Monday, 5/22/06!

• That Guy

I had my first visit to Bengal two weeks ago and I have to say, the food was great. Nice service and tasty, well priced food. I also have to say the pretzels there were really tasty. It would be a true loss for Disneyland if they were to close that place. As many of my colleagues have said, the price, selection and quality of the food cannot be beat. Plus, how many burgers can one person eat?

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

We love the bacon wrapped asparagus, yummy.

• The Useless Prince

Blog Entries

I just got back from the park....like literally just came in the door...and sadly it was open...lol

• Mary Blair Lover

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry
    Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...and I quite possibly am...

The moving of Bengal BBQ to the Aladdin's Oasis area (or the preferable return of the Tahitian Terrace there) would be problematic because the old Plaza Pavillion kitchen complex that used to service that location had to be torn down several years ago.

Would that not require an extensive remodel/rebuild to service that location, much as I'd like to see the Terrace especially return?

--Barry
    When I quit Disney in 2004, that kitchen was very much there and intact, down to the old tahitian terrace counter opening. It is also still in use as a kitchen, for special events. It could stand a rehab, but no, i don't think it would involve a large rebuild to get it back up. (As of 2004)

In general, Disneyland usually reuses or just flat out abandon places. They don't tear out anything unless there is a reason. (Thank god for the Subs!) For instance the Space Place kitchen is also still back there, counter and all, and in use for ODV. (i think they blow up all the ballons back there.)

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

I ate a Bengal Beef Skewer yesterday evening and damn it was tasty! Although were they bigger? I'll have to get it again next time I go.

• With my wife....

I love the Bengal BBQ partly because I enjoy the food, but even moreso because of the ambiance it lends to Adventureland. The whole restaurant looks like it's built out of, and around, a gigantic tree. If you look behind the counter, the grill is "built into" the trunk of the tree, and the decor has a lot of nice, subtle touches.

The novelty of this little restaurant never gets old for me. I'd say even if you don't like the food there, it's worth keeping for the simple fact that the facade adds so much to that corner of the park.
    "I could never convince the financiers that Disneyland was feasible because dreams offer too little collateral"

--Walt Disney

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

Damn it's going to be a sad time in October in Disneyland with the closure of Bengal BBQ forever and the ending of all the 50th stuff including the fireworks.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry
    Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...and I quite possibly am...

The moving of Bengal BBQ to the Aladdin's Oasis area (or the preferable return of the Tahitian Terrace there) would be problematic because the old Plaza Pavillion kitchen complex that used to service that location had to be torn down several years ago.

Would that not require an extensive remodel/rebuild to service that location, much as I'd like to see the Terrace especially return?

--Barry
    Minor nit to pick, sir: Not "Torn Down" - that would imply that the building was physically removed, and that isn't the case.

The more accurate term would be "gutted", as in all the fixtures were removed and the interior walls torn out down to the bare studs, and the rotten studs replaced to keep the whole thing from falling down for real... That way the bugs have no place left to hide.

It would still take a full rebuild of the kitchen to open an eating establishment there again. (Sewers and drains, tile floors, plumbing, electrical, walls and ceiling, vent hoods, heating/cooling and fixed equipment, counters, refrigeration and cooking equipment...) But having the outer structure still in place means it would cost "only" $1 Million instead of $1.5 or $2M. The way Disney does it, everything is expensive.

And a factoid everyone misses on that kitchen, it was originaly designed to serve three locations, not two - Plaza Pavillion, Tahitian Terrace, and Tiki Room. Tiki was originally designed to be a dinner theatre restaurant, hence the "Secret" restrooms off the lanai...

They put all the animatronic controls for the Tiki Birds in the basement, so they could have access to the kitchen serving line in the back room.

As to Bengal Barbecue, they really can't stay open for logistic reasons if they close the River Belle to tear it all out and start over - I'll bet Bengal uses the RB kitchen for their prep area, and they need to have a place to do the back-kitchen prep work and wash their pots and pans somewhere nearby.

They might be able to schlep it all to the Stage Door/Horseshoe kitchen...

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Mary Blair Lover

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman
    Minor nit to pick, sir: Not "Torn Down" - that would imply that the building was physically removed, and that isn't the case.

The more accurate term would be "gutted", as in all the fixtures were removed and the interior walls torn out down to the bare studs, and the rotten studs replaced to keep the whole thing from falling down for real... That way the bugs have no place left to hide.

It would still take a full rebuild of the kitchen to open an eating establishment there again. (Sewers and drains, tile floors, plumbing, electrical, walls and ceiling, vent hoods, heating/cooling and fixed equipment, counters, refrigeration and cooking equipment...) But having the outer structure still in place means it would cost "only" $1 Million instead of $1.5 or $2M. The way Disney does it, everything is expensive.

And a factoid everyone misses on that kitchen, it was originaly designed to serve three locations, not two - Plaza Pavillion, Tahitian Terrace, and Tiki Room. Tiki was originally designed to be a dinner theatre restaurant, hence the "Secret" restrooms off the lanai...

They put all the animatronic controls for the Tiki Birds in the basement, so they could have access to the kitchen serving line in the back room.

As to Bengal Barbecue, they really can't stay open for logistic reasons if they close the River Belle to tear it all out and start over - I'll bet Bengal uses the RB kitchen for their prep area, and they need to have a place to do the back-kitchen prep work and wash their pots and pans somewhere nearby.

They might be able to schlep it all to the Stage Door/Horseshoe kitchen...

--<< Bruce >>--
    I didn't know they did that. When did they do that? During the Tiki Room referb? I wonder which kitchen they now use for special events, because when i worked there, that was the kitchen they used.

The bangel barbecue does have it's own wash area, but it's minuscule. 2 people in there and it's packed. The door you see from the counter leads into there. I believe they use the counter area that is visible for "prep" in the mornings. Actually, all those small places in the river belle complex are all self contained. But the whole complex is just decrepit, so i can totally see why they would want to tear it down.

• Back After Missing MC

Quote Originally Posted by E-ticket
    I love the Bengal BBQ partly because I enjoy the food, but even moreso because of the ambiance it lends to Adventureland. The whole restaurant looks like it's built out of, and around, a gigantic tree. If you look behind the counter, the grill is "built into" the trunk of the tree, and the decor has a lot of nice, subtle touches.

The novelty of this little restaurant never gets old for me. I'd say even if you don't like the food there, it's worth keeping for the simple fact that the facade adds so much to that corner of the park.
    I agree 100% and felt this was the best non-sit down place to get food in the park. I am a little biased I am sure because I love Adventureland but I did feel they put some thought into the presentation of this restaurant instead of a means to an end.

I know everyone is going to have a different opinion on what "good food" is but I found that once I purchased their iced coffee I was stopped repeatedly as I walked around with it and asked where I got it from as it looked really good. Now, I know iced coffee can be sold from any area in the park but my point is that the Bengal BBQ does offer enough of a variety that it is a good eatery option and I will be sad to see it go.

• That Guy

Do we know for sure that it is going? Is this MC speculation or has DLR made an announcement? It is too good to go away!

• Banned User

I think *if* Tahitian Terrace does come back, and when the kitchen is added back in, I would really like to see Bengal go over to that menu.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by Max Fischer
    Do we know for sure that it is going? Is this MC speculation or has DLR made an announcement? It is too good to go away!
    This is MC, MI, MP...speculation. But these things often have a nack at being true.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman

I stand corrected, sir. The description you gave me pretty much matches up with the one I got from my old co-worker who's now the sous chef at the Plaza Inn. I think he told me that this all took place a few years back...not sure exactly when.

I wasn't totally aware of the Tiki Room connection, to be honest...I do know that the kitchen people used to cut the pineapple spears, and provide other support to the Juice Bar staff.

I still hope the complex can be re-opened at some point.

--Barry

PS...I was told that back in its day as a restaurant, Aladdin's used a what was then a state of the art computer system that worked very well in getting orders to the crew and back out again very efficiently. I assume that any new restaurant would use a similar system. Do DL table service restaurants (meaning Carnation and the BB) use a similar system now?
    --
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast