Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

• Banned User

Re: Bengal BBQ- Is it gone yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry
    PS...I was told that back in its day as a restaurant, Aladdin's used a what was then a state of the art computer system that worked very well in getting orders to the crew and back out again very efficiently. I assume that any new restaurant would use a similar system. Do DL table service restaurants (meaning Carnation and the BB) use a similar system now?
    --
    I bet they do - you get the check pretty fast!

• Mary Blair Lover

I stand corrected, sir. The description you gave me pretty much matches up with the one I got from my old co-worker who's now the sous chef at the Plaza Inn. I think he told me that this all took place a few years back...not sure exactly when.
    I think it's coming back to me! I want to say it was during the tiki room refurb, right? I never saw it gutted, so it was definitely in 2004 or later. I detailed that kitchen around late 2003/early 2004 and promise the kitchen was very much there! (Or i was on something really good!) Most of the fixtures (refrigerators, cooking appliances, etc.) had been removed towards the plaza pavillon/tiki room side, but all the walls/tile/plumbing was still there. They also still had it set up for APs at the Pavillon counter. But the part of the kitchen south of the Tahitian Terrace counter towards the back of main street was still in use as the special events kitchen.

It's really surprising that the gutted the place. It must of had a bad termite and/or pest problem, because the place looked to be in pretty good shape IMO. Yes, old, but there are other kitchens that are heavily used every day that look MUCH more decrepit. NOMK and the soon to also be gone River Belle complex come to mind.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crpeoplemover
    It's really surprising that the gutted the place. It must of had a bad termite and/or pest problem, because the place looked to be in pretty good shape IMO. Yes, old, but there are other kitchens that are heavily used every day that look MUCH more decrepit. NOMK and the soon to also be gone River Belle complex come to mind.
    I was told it had to do moreso with mold, and health code violations. That's just what I was told.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

I was told it had to do moreso with mold, and health code violations. That's just what I was told.

--Barry
    Rod's dressing room was somewhere upstairs over the Plaza Pavillion / Tahitian Terrace kitchen - they had to move everyone out while they were reworking it, so we (the Piano Regulars) heard some details.

All the studs on the exterior wall that faces Main Street were rotten and moldy from years of water damage (water that came both from inside and outside sources) and the wall structural members had to be rebuilt behind the orignal exterior woodwork - without removing or disturbing most of the exterior wall and roof. Appearance and Good Show, you know.

I stuck my nose inside the Dishroom door onto the Plaza Pavillion upper patio about Christmastime (6 months ago or so), and it was still all exposed studs, and a lonely plastic-covered commerical dishwasher (the semi-automatic tray slide-through type) sitting in the middle of the floor.

Been there, Run that. (I do dishes, but not windows.)

Bengal Barbecue deserves to live on in some form at Disneyland - If for no other reason than it offers some variety. Most of the full restaurants are just variations on the Same Old, Same Old... (As in "101 ways to make Rubber Chicken.")

They need to mix it up more - get more unique entrees and fresh flavors that you simply can't get at the Mall Food Court at the Downtown Mall. Disneyland is a Destination Park, the food needs to be more than just bland and boring mass-produced 'people fuel' in a steam tray.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Mary Blair Lover

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman
    Rod's dressing room was somewhere upstairs over the Plaza Pavillion / Tahitian Terrace kitchen - they had to move everyone out while they were reworking it, so we (the Piano Regulars) heard some details.

All the studs on the exterior wall that faces Main Street were rotten and moldy from years of water damage (water that came both from inside and outside sources) and the wall structural members had to be rebuilt behind the orignal exterior woodwork - without removing or disturbing most of the exterior wall and roof. Appearance and Good Show, you know.

I stuck my nose inside the Dishroom door onto the Plaza Pavillion upper patio about Christmastime (6 months ago or so), and it was still all exposed studs, and a lonely plastic-covered commerical dishwasher (the semi-automatic tray slide-through type) sitting in the middle of the floor.

Been there, Run that. (I do dishes, but not windows.)
    Ah ok. When i was last in there that dish room was still intact and ready for use. I didn't know Rod's dressing room was up there too. I only went up there once, but i did see the dressing rooms used for the Oasis (and the Tahitian Terrace before i'm sure)

Bengal Barbecue deserves to live on in some form at Disneyland - If for no other reason than it offers some variety. Most of the full restaurants are just variations on the Same Old, Same Old... (As in "101 ways to make Rubber Chicken.")

They need to mix it up more - get more unique entrees and fresh flavors that you simply can't get at the Mall Food Court at the Downtown Mall. Disneyland is a Destination Park, the food needs to be more than just bland and boring mass-produced 'people fuel' in a steam tray.

--<< Bruce >>--
    I'm totally with you on this one. I think the idea to move a bangel type menu to the Tahitian Terrace is good one, if they don't make it into a dinner show again, which i'd prefer. It's a shame that nice little corner of adventureland is unused as a food location.

•   
    • Senior Minion

Blog Entries

--<< Bruce >>--
    Here here!!!

some one have be buy to much mass-produced food. How much is to add some spices to the food?
    Hear from my family member after comming back from disneyland, They do not want to eat hamburger or hot dog. Of course they have dough spend.
    AKfandisney Have a Magic Disney day șoș 2010
    Alan

Toy Story Mania construction:
    Older photo
    New Photo

Member of
    MiceChat WDW Trip
    Next trip
    2014 Feb 8-9

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

All I ask is please, PLEASE have banana milk available somewhere else i the park, then.
    PLEASE!!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• That Guy

Please tell me if I'm wrong, but I don't know of any other food like this at DLR? For the price, the food is great and as my peeps have said, it is SUCH a welcome change from the same old burgers and chicken strips ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

OK...don't shoot me for digging this thread up, but I would have SWORN someone said the Bengal BBQ was closing and a huge outcry poured forth from Micechat.

So.....why was it still open yesterday, 6/30/06? They decided to keep it open and they were just kidding?

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by localdisnyfan
    OK...don't shoot me for digging this thread up, but I would have SWORN someone said the Bengal BBQ was closing and a huge outcry poured forth from Micechat.

So.....why was it still open yesterday, 6/30/06? They decided to keep it open and they were just kidding?
    The plan is to close it at the same time they do a big rehab of River Belle Terrace restaurant this fall. They'e supposed to gut all the Management Offices that are upstairs now (over River Belle and the Shops) and expand the dining area by adding a large second floor dining area, and probably using all the porticos. And of course add an elevator for upstairs access, and widen the walkways and queue inside the serving area, etc.

This will give them a lot more Fantasmic viewing space on the north side facing the river, and they can carve out some room downstairs to expand the back kitchen area of River Belle, but that would eat up all the backstage kitchen space that Bengal BBQ uses for prep and clean-up.

I think they could still co-exist and find some prep kitchen space for Bengal BBQ back there, but the Managers think not, and they're the ones that count.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Tourist

I hope the Bengal Barbecue stays. My son and I always get beef skewers and tiger tails. It's one of our favorite restaurants.

The only part he doesn't like is when I get nostalgic and tell him that this location used to be called "Sunkist, I Presume", and he reminds me that I tell him that at least once per vacation...

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Forum Sommelier

Last I read was that the Riverbelle rebuild was postponed until late next year due to budgeting. Anyone know if this still holds true?
    Mike

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Quote Originally Posted by mcow1
    Last I read was that the Riverbelle rebuild was postponed until late next year due to budgeting. Anyone know if this still holds true?
    That's what Al said in one of his more recent updates.

• FastPass n00b

Nothing's official from Disney quite yet about the demise of the Bengal BBQ. Now normally that just means they are waiting for their marketing window to publicize a new upgrade, but since Al hasn't mentioned anything either I'd say the demise of this place is speculation at this point. People probably just assume because it's so close that it will have to be destroyed.

I think Al did mention something about the Riverbelle Terrace being delayed until next year. One thing I'm kind of nervous about is the rumors about Fantasmic. Obviously it will remain around for quite some time, as the Riverbelle upgrade suggests, but the suits might feel an update to Fantasmic is necessitated by this restaurant upgrade.

Personally, I wish they'd update the Electrical Parade before they touched anything else. The Electrical Parade could really use fiber optics, modern sound systems and LEDs to spice up the parade. But Fantasmic is PERFECT as it is. Sure, it's got some slow parts and some cheesey parts (Pinnochio segment) but my gosh, it's by far one of the best Disneyland shows ever. Considering it surpasses, in my opinion, shows in Las Vegas costing $100, it makes the $60 admission into Disneyland worth it just to see that show.

Now, going slightly more off-topic here, I'd just like to mention how amazing it is that Fantasmic compares favorably to a Vegas production show. First of all, it's not meant to compete with Vegas, but in terms of raw *emotion* and goosebumps, Fantasmic meets or exceeds the standards set by Vegas. But the fact that those shows have $40 million theaters built exclusively for each show and are usually only a few years old, it's quite astounding that a 14-year old show at a theme park can not only compete, but surpass it. I absolutely LOVE the Steamboat Willy driving the Mark Twain, that is my favorite part!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345