Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Re: Day trip to beach...

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe
    I've jusy been told new port doesn't have much of a beach. This could be true...we usually sail out of newport....zuma (sp?) is nice... I also like venice, but I haven't been in almost 10 years it could be different now...

Of all the beaches mentioned, Newport is by FAR the largest. It reaches up 10 to 20 streets South of the pier, and about 30 streets or so North. I'm going to guess you're looking at at least 5 miles of beach total. For swimming and boogie boarding, it's our favorite. Except for the jelly fish last year. I think the other beaches average around a mile tops. You've also got Balboa Island, Helicopters landing on the beach in front of Dennis Rodman's house, Kobe, and the Spaghetti Factory. (5$ buys you a whole dinner! )

We love Newport!
    Last edited by Mac Daddy; 03-12-2006 at 07:07 PM.

• Banned User

I live in a 1.5 mil $ house at 3rd and Hermosa just 3 blocks to the ocean. Rent for a apt. is $700-$3000 not many gang bangers can afford that, and most are now condos.
    We were NOT talking about sending the family to 23rd and Martin Luther King Drive. The area from Ocean to seventh, From Belmont Shore to the 710 has changed alot just in the past year! If you invest in realestate you would be crazy not to buy in the ocean area of Long Beach.

• Banned User

Isn't this where the rapist was active for years....I think he was caught though...right?....sorry, but long beach has a bad reputation and I know they are working on making it better, but ti's not that great right now. I do go to the Queen mary, but to get there I have to drive on the most dangerous freeway ever...710...I hate it.

of course I could be just a bit cautious. i don't go to watts, compton or pocoima either and I stopped going to santa monica after a gang member killed a tourist for his wallet.

My friend wants to move to Long Beach though.....she loves it.
    That was years ago. Why are all your comments about places that you "have not been to in years" negitive. Get out more !! Cal is the fastest growing state, do you think all the people moving here are gang members? All the new transplants are forcing the unsavory types inland.The price of realestate is too high for the unwashed few to afford.

Last time I was at Disneyland it was 101 degrees out!

•   
    • Senior Minion

Blog Entries

The Travel channel is air the America's Best Beach for 2006.

In the show there is Laguna Beach, I think that laguna Beach may the list three year in a row.

for air time http://travel.discovery.com/tvlistin...=0&channel=TRV

More information

http://travel.discovery.com/converge...eek/us/us.html
    AKfandisney Have a Magic Disney day ºoº 2010
    Alan

Toy Story Mania construction:
    Older photo
    New Photo

Member of
    MiceChat WDW Trip
    Next trip
    2014 Dec, 31

• Dreams do come true

Quote Originally Posted by Skinny Dog
    Hey stop pickin on Long Beach!!!!
    Snoop moved to Orange County along with Dennis Rodman years ago!!!
    The coastal area of LB is very nice, Belmont Shore and Shoreline Village have great stores and restarants. We have a World Class Aquarium (The Aquarium of the Pacific), The Queen Mary, A Russian Sub, A lively downtown area. All are within 3 miles distance of each other on the coast, most are so close you can walk.
    Just don't wander too far inland.
    The reality is that in the 6+ years, Ive lived here it has changed for the good 110%. My house has tripled in value And I wouldn't live anywhere eles in So Cal. I love Long Beach !!!!

But I go to Huntington to swim There is a parking structure great surf and the resturants are not too expensive and the shops are great for So Cal souvenirs,
    Skip Newport Too snootty, And Laguna has no place to park.
    Thanks for giving long beach it's due, but don't tell everybody our secret, then we'll get lots more traffic.

• I'm your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by Redcris
    Last time I was at Disneyland it was 101 degrees out!
    Am I missing something? What does this have to do with the conversation???? :confused:

And although I think Skinny Dog is a little partial , Long Beach really has changed a lot! The area around the Queen Mary is lovely, and there is lots of great shopping, etc. Then again, I don't think Compton is scary either (its a lot nicer than parts of the Inland Empire!).

That being said, I wouldn't recommend Long Beach if you're looking for a beach to hang out, surf, etc. Its more touristy and shopping. I personally love Huntington Beach. Great surf/swim conditions, nice pier to explore, and the main drag has some great resturants (Vic's On The Beach comes to mind).

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by a_hyperbole
    Am I missing something? What does this have to do with the conversation???? :confused:

And although I think Skinny Dog is a little partial , Long Beach really has changed a lot! The area around the Queen Mary is lovely, and there is lots of great shopping, etc. Then again, I don't think Compton is scary either (its a lot nicer than parts of the Inland Empire!).

That being said, I wouldn't recommend Long Beach if you're looking for a beach to hang out, surf, etc. Its more touristy and shopping. I personally love Huntington Beach. Great surf/swim conditions, nice pier to explore, and the main drag has some great resturants (Vic's On The Beach comes to mind).

And probably most important about the Long Beach beach....there's NO WAVES!

We should probably also give honorable mention to Seal Beach. Nice pier, Ruby's, small beach , but usually not too crowded. Cool old town area....

• no flash photography...

That was years ago. Why are all your comments about places that you "have not been to in years" negitive. Get out more !! Cal is the fastest growing state, do you think all the people moving here are gang members? All the new transplants are forcing the unsavory types inland.The price of realestate is too high for the unwashed few to afford.
    no worries ..I get out...to safe places..places where I don't have to watch my back....and yeah, if bad things happen at places I used to like, I don't go anymore...and it wasn't just the tourist getting killed by the gang member in santa monica...it was the last few times I went there were alot of those "gang looking" types around and I didn't feel safe there anymore. The killing just sealed the deal.

as far as long beach goes....yeah, i got to the Queen mary. I've been to the Aquarium of the Pacific and those were fine areas, but I also know there is ALOT of gang activity in that area. I missed the 710 freeway the last time I went to the Queen Mary. My GPS got me there on surface streets of long beach. At first it was OK, but then the neighborhood started looking worse and worse.....I was very happy to cross that bridge to fet to the Queen Mary. So, i suppose if you know the area and whats good and bad areas it's one thing, but if you don't know and you end up in a bad area it could be dangerous.

There's bad areas everywhere. I know where not to go where I live...would a tourist know??....probably not...would they want to accidently end up in one of these areas??..probably not....

• Minion

I suggest trying Redondo and Hermosa Beach's. They are a bit farther, but its a GREAT city and neighborhood (its wnear where i live). Its beautiful and its never crowded.

• Banned User

no worries ..I get out...to safe places..places where I don't have to watch my back....and yeah, if bad things happen at places I used to like, I don't go anymore...and it wasn't just the tourist getting killed by the gang member in santa monica...it was the last few times I went there were alot of those "gang looking" types around and I didn't feel safe there anymore. The killing just sealed the deal.

as far as long beach goes....yeah, i got to the Queen mary. I've been to the Aquarium of the Pacific and those were fine areas, but I also know there is ALOT of gang activity in that area. I missed the 710 freeway the last time I went to the Queen Mary. My GPS got me there on surface streets of long beach. At first it was OK, but then the neighborhood started looking worse and worse.....I was very happy to cross that bridge to fet to the Queen Mary. So, i suppose if you know the area and whats good and bad areas it's one thing, but if you don't know and you end up in a bad area it could be dangerous.

There's bad areas everywhere. I know where not to go where I live...would a tourist know??....probably not...would they want to accidently end up in one of these areas??..probably not....
    UGHG,
    I give up. Stay safe where you are and never leave your lovely little uppermiddle class world. I've been in the worst slums of Chicago going to sporting events, never a problem, Bad parts of LA, LBC, slums of Iquitos Peru, 99% of the people in the world ore as nice as can be. But I've felt my life threatened by a jerk in a Mercedes in Macys parking lot in Fashion Island in NewPort beach. Look like a victim become a victim.

port

• For You!

There are bad areas everywhere - just be careful. Personally, I've always enjoyed Newport Beach. The best is to take your rollerblades and go from Newport to Balboa Pier.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• no flash photography...

UGHG,
    I give up. Stay safe where you are and never leave your lovely little uppermiddle class world. I've been in the worst slums of Chicago going to sporting events, never a problem, Bad parts of LA, LBC, slums of Iquitos Peru, 99% of the people in the world ore as nice as can be. But I've felt my life threatened by a jerk in a Mercedes in Macys parking lot in Fashion Island in NewPort beach. Look like a victim become a victim.

port
    I'm very happy I never had to be in such areas. I'm glad you feel you benefited from them. To each there own. I don't even like driving past bad areas on the freeway. Why? Because I had my drivers window blown out by a car filled with "gang looking" people. I ahve been robbed at gun point....I ahve been threatened and slammed up against a wall....so excuse me if I fdon't go out looking for trouble and to areas I know trouble can be...I guess having a child has made me more cautious of my life.....and there is more that has happened in my life that I will not sure on a public message board, but ;ike the old saying goes....until you walk in my shoes don't judge....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12