Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Day trip to beach...

Hello again!

I was wondering how difficult it would be to rent a car from the Disneyland area and drive to one of the beaches? We had heard that Long Beach or Laguna Beach are nicer than Newport or Huntington. Would you agree? How far is the drive from DL to a) Long Beach and b) Laguna? We thought it might be nice to drive to Newport, and then take the coast highway down to Laguna. Any reasons why this may be a bad idea? Thanks for any feedback!

Denise

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Re: Day trip to beach...

Huntington Beach is really a lovely place, too. Should be very easy to rent a car and make the drive. Long Beach is alright, but I feel that Huntington Beach is much better. Long Beach can be kind of scary, especially once the sun goes down! Huntington Beach is literally right next door to Newport. I suggest going to Huntington first, walk the pier, then drive to Newport, and from there take the coast to Laguna beach. Laguna is a very beautiful little town, and the drive up Pacific Coast Highway is absolutely gorgeous! Enjoy!
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

yeah, ditto to what sunnygirl said. Long Beach is fine, but there are certain areas that are not very friendly, and if you actually want to go onto the beach and stick your toes into the water, LB once again, is probably not the choice for you. Huntington is purty and Newport is really fun. I like Laguna and Dana Point as well!!

• Incognito

Blog Entries

SunnyG hit the nail on the head. But, it also depends on WHAT you want to do at the beach. Were you just looking to lay out at the beach? Then HB or Newport are good for that.

Laguna is an artist enclave with lots of galleries and cafes to stroll around and check out.

If you go to Long Beach you can at least see the Queen Mary across the harbor, it is quite pretty.

•   
    • Senior Minion

Blog Entries

I love Laguna Beach.

all you have to do is get on Fwy 5 south and intill you get to 133 south this will take you right into center of Laguna Beach. Laguna Beach Is about 25 mile South from Disneyland.

Only bad time is wend are you planding to come.
    if it June - end Aug. this is most busiest time and is hard
    to find parking for car.
    AKfandisney Have a Magic Disney day șoș 2010
    Alan

Toy Story Mania construction:
    Older photo
    New Photo

Member of
    MiceChat WDW Trip
    Next trip
    2014 Dec, 31

• no flash photography...

I wouldn't choose long beach...unless you are goign to see the Queen Mary...LOL..(the LA river runs right into Long Beach and it's very polluted at times...and there can be unseemly people around.)... .laguna beach is nice...i also like new port and huntington. I used to love going to santa monica, but the last time I was there (over 5 years ago) it was full of seedy looking people....and I don't mean the homeless....

Long Beach is Snoop Dog's home town and according to some, the birthplace of gangster rap. Get the picture?

Smile

Holy Cow! You guys are awesome! Thanks for the quick feedback.

Denise

• CM for 4 years!

Laguna Beach is so beautiful. It contains some of California's most beautiful beaches. But most of them are tucked away, very difficult to get to, or private property. Additionally, there's a certain degree of the "local" mentality.
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

The beaches in Laguna are indeed very nice, but not all that large. There's a very nice beach down towards the end of town further south that wasn't too crowded last year when we were there. The city of Long Beach is pretty much gangster town, so unless you are there to shop at shoreline village or visit the queen mary, you'll find better beaches at Newport, Huntington, and Laguna. Newport has much more area in terms of room to surf/boogie board, etc than either Huntington or Laguna. Laguna can be notoriously super crowded and traffic can be a nightmare, but then again, so can Newport, depending on when you go. Bosla Chica is less crowded, just North of Huntington, but the sand sucks...very rocky. So....I'd try Laguna, unless it's on a summer weekend...in which case you could eat an hour getting in and out.

Have fun!

I've jusy been told new port doesn't have much of a beach. This could be true...we usually sail out of newport....zuma (sp?) is nice... I also like venice, but I haven't been in almost 10 years it could be different now...

There was a beach i did a shore dive off of near san pedro. I think it was called white beach or whites point...anyway, it was very rocky...large riocks. Very difficult to climb in and out of the ocean with full SCUBA gear on, but the large rocks amde small tide polls. It was fun looking at the little crabs in them.....oh, and in normal clothes the rocks were not difficult to climb on...(SCUBA gear adds another 100+ pounds)

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Here's a thread we had a few weeks ago with lots of pictures and info about beaches, including the ones you're talking about. I'm not sure how to post the link so go to "search" and type in:

The Official Ocean Pictures for Makuna Hakarla thread

and I hope it helps!

Good luck and enjoy -

Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Banned User

Hey stop pickin on Long Beach!!!!
    Snoop moved to Orange County along with Dennis Rodman years ago!!!
    The coastal area of LB is very nice, Belmont Shore and Shoreline Village have great stores and restarants. We have a World Class Aquarium (The Aquarium of the Pacific), The Queen Mary, A Russian Sub, A lively downtown area. All are within 3 miles distance of each other on the coast, most are so close you can walk.
    Just don't wander too far inland.
    The reality is that in the 6+ years, Ive lived here it has changed for the good 110%. My house has tripled in value And I wouldn't live anywhere eles in So Cal. I love Long Beach !!!!

But I go to Huntington to swim There is a parking structure great surf and the resturants are not too expensive and the shops are great for So Cal souvenirs,
    Skip Newport Too snootty, And Laguna has no place to park.

Quote Originally Posted by Skinny Dog
    Belmont Shore and Shoreline Village have great stores and restarants.
    Isn't this where the rapist was active for years....I think he was caught though...right?....sorry, but long beach has a bad reputation and I know they are working on making it better, but ti's not that great right now. I do go to the Queen mary, but to get there I have to drive on the most dangerous freeway ever...710...I hate it.

of course I could be just a bit cautious. i don't go to watts, compton or pocoima either and I stopped going to santa monica after a gang member killed a tourist for his wallet.

My friend wants to move to Long Beach though.....she loves it.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Skinny Dog
    Hey stop pickin on Long Beach!!!!
    Snoop moved to Orange County along with Dennis Rodman years ago!!!
    The coastal area of LB is very nice, Belmont Shore and Shoreline Village have great stores and restarants. We have a World Class Aquarium (The Aquarium of the Pacific), The Queen Mary, A Russian Sub, A lively downtown area. All are within 3 miles distance of each other on the coast, most are so close you can walk.
    Just don't wander too far inland.
    The reality is that in the 6+ years, Ive lived here it has changed for the good 110%. My house has tripled in value And I wouldn't live anywhere eles in So Cal. I love Long Beach !!!!

But I go to Huntington to swim There is a parking structure great surf and the resturants are not too expensive and the shops are great for So Cal souvenirs,
    Skip Newport Too snootty, And Laguna has no place to park.
    Down by Belmont shore and shoreline, yes. But where the beach is...HELLO! You're telling me the area around Atlantic Ave has changed 110% for the better? Wasn't it just a couple months ago that LB was back in the news with another school shooting? I taught there for 9 years...and left a while ago, so maybe it's changed since then. But when I left, it was NEWSWEEK magazine that gave it the title of GANGSTERTOWN USA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast