• See! I rock!

Spring Break Refurbishment

My family and I are going to Disneyland in 13 days and we were all kind of upset that Pirates of the Caribbean is closed for refurbishment. None of us can understand why the Pirates rides- at both WDW and Disneyland - are being closed during the school's break. Why did they do that??!! [smilie=1,21,11]
    Leaving for Disneyland on March 25 but won't get there until 11:00! I can't wait!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Re: Spring Break Refurbishment

Why? Because they want the upgrades to premiere with the second movie, that's why.

Movie tie-ins/movie profits will make them a lot more money than the possible slight loss of park visitors during spring break will lose them. Even Disney bows to the all mighty dollar!

• DLR -> WDW Cast Member

Using "Search" is your friend!

They are doing show and effect upgrades for the attraction.
    Burnt Toast
    The Magic Begins With Me...! 8:P

• See! I rock!

I know that they are adding for the new movie, but why during Spring Break?! Some visitors love that ride (example: my family and friends)
    Leaving for Disneyland on March 25 but won't get there until 11:00! I can't wait!

The situation with the movie tie in changes notwithstanding, people must realize that these attractions simply need periodic refurbishment. Most of DLs attractions are 25 to 50 years old and are run day and night. I think people tend to forget that these things are quite complicated both in terms of mechanics and technology. Additionally, the previous management apparently has a business philosiphy of run them until they stop. The present management seems to be more into periodic maintenance but is probably still feeling some of the ill effects of the previous thinking.

As far as why they are doing it now, really up until after Memorial Day it is the off season even though the spring break weeks get very busy. They had to wait until the refurbishment of the HM was finished as even in the off season you couldn't have the two biggies in NOS down at the same time, especially because the 50th celebration is still going on.

wdwmonk, I certainly understand your disappointment. I'm disappointed every time I go to DL and some attraction is down. If I went to WDW and a major attraction were to be down I would be very disappointed so I do feel your pain. The imagineering and the escapism on these things is so good we really forget they are machines and machines need upkeep.
    Last edited by Mortgageman; 03-12-2006 at 12:27 PM.

• See! I rock!

Well, I guess I understand... it's just that like you said it is upsetting that is is closed when we go there. On www.disneyland.com, there is a calendar that says what will be down (rides) and times of shows so Pirates should be the only ride down. YAY!

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by wdwmonkey
    I know that they are adding for the new movie, but why during Spring Break?! Some visitors love that ride (example: my family and friends)
    Well even though (for like WDW) March has Spring Break and April has Easter (it's biggest time) PoTC seems to close March and April most of the time for refurbs (or so it seems in the last couple years) as opposed to having closed summer time. But with the new ride needing to premier with the new movie...well I guess this is the perfect time to go if they need four months and want it done just as the next movie comes out.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by wdwmonkey
    We love that ride too. But we also realize they have to have the ride back online by June 24th. To guarentee this, they had to take it down when they did. I am sure they took spring break into consideration, but it just wasn't possible to have it up during March and April, and still have it complete by the end of June. I promise you, they didn't do it just to ruin your vacation.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

It's traditionally the slowest time of year and they want POTC ready for the premiere of the next movie. They always close rides this time of year for rehabs.
    You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JangoFett
    It's traditionally the slowest time of year and they want POTC ready for the premiere of the next movie. They always close rides this time of year for rehabs.
    I would say that Jan-Feb are traditionally slower than the March-April spring break period, but the point is to have the attraction open for the summer season...and in this case have it coincide with the release of a major summer movie.

PS...One thread closer to that magic "75" over/under on new POTC threads...(LOL)
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.