• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Retelling Nemo (Sub Lagoon Discussion) - Orange County Register, 3/13/06

http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister...le_1039735.php

(Kevin) Rafferty spends most of his time these days at the Submarine lagoon, getting ready to open a new attraction next year. The old subs closed in 1998. He talked about how the ride developed, and how he became an Imagineer.

Q: What are some of the challenges in telling a story that's under water?

A: Our first instinct is to create a linear story. But on a 32-foot submarine, with a series of individual scenes and characters, the people at the front end of the sub will not see the same thing (passing through) as those at the end. In my 28 years, this has been the biggest story challenge for us to figure out. The guest in the front of the sub will get a different audio and visual portion than someone at the end, but it will all be equal show value and they'll all get the gist of that scene and the meat of the story. ... The exciting part is that we'll have it all done and tested in a virtual world before we put it in the subs.

Q. There are separate portholes in the subs to see the story, but how will people hear different audio tracks?

A. We're developing audio with new fidelity that you've never heard before and a killer sub woofer (he can't resist that line).
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Re: Retelling Nemo (Sub Lagoon Discussion) - Orange County Register, 3/13/06

Looking good.

Anything with new audio tech serves my inner geek, and the return of the subs just gets me all warm and gooey.

I like the idea that you aren't all experiencing the same thing simultaneously. I suppose it isn't that new a concept, though, as a boat behind or in front of you in POTC or a buggy in HM will be experiencing each moment at a different pace to the one before or ahead.

Still, exciting times!
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

It will certainly be interesting to see how this works when it's finished. I for one am really excited.

Ah, fresh Imagineering is in the air...

Once again, Darkbeer you rule for pointing out things like this, and the pictures of the lagoon you take.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Exciting! Sounds like its going to shape up to be an interesting, entertaining ride!

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |