• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Humor article in the Salt Lake Tribune regarding Disneyland and Strollers

http://www.sltrib.com/homeandfamily/ci_3596329

My granddaughter finally got to see Cinderella in Disneyland. We almost didn't make it, though. There was a stroller pileup outside Critter Country.

Seems a triple-wide tried to pass a tandem rig on the right and cut off a double-decker. Formula, diapers and juice boxes were all over the place. Purple-faced drivers were going for each other's hair.

The proper thing to do would have been to stop and help sort things out. But it was our third day at Disneyland and stroller rage didn't impress us anymore. We got past on the shoulder.

I'm not sure when baby strollers became high-occupancy vehicles. I do know they don't work well in crowds, not that this stops sock-your moms from trying. At Disneyland, it was worth your life to stop short in front of one.

Much more at the link....
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Re: Humor article in the Salt Lake Tribune regarding Disneyland and Strollers

Strollers can be lethal in crowds. Adventureland is the scariest...I almost always get hit there.

• Rock Star Minion

Baby strollers as HOVs is a recent occurrence.
    And while about 95 percent of multiple pregnancies are still twins and the twins birth rate is going up, the rate at which women are having higher multiples has been increasing even faster. Between 1980 and 1999, the rate of twin births in the United States rose by 53 percent (a woman's likelihood of conceiving twins these days is about 1 in 33). During this same period, the rate of triplets and higher multiple births went up by 400 percent (it's about 1 in 555).

Meanwhile, the likelihood of having identical, or monozygotic, twins (when one fertilized egg divides in half) has remained steady at about 1 in 250. Identical twins happen by chance and are not thought to be affected by fertility treatments. Historically, about a third of all twins shared the same genes. As of 2001, only about 12 percent of twins born in the U.S. were identical, and that number is likely to shrink even more as the proportion of fraternal twins continues to increase.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Where's Push?

Strollers are great but when the people who are pushing them are not paying attention or are using them as ways to push their way through crowds, thats when problems start. One time, I was walking the pathway towards Tomorrowland along Plaza Inn, and I was in the middle. People are moving past me both ways and I see this lady pushing her stroller right towards me and she is looking off towards the castle. All I could think is, man this is going to hurt! I was able to jump out of the way at the last second and then she looks forward and notices me jumping and she apologizes to me. Phew! I told her it was no problem but what I wanted to say is pay attention!
    Take Care,

Brenda

• Rock Star Minion

As with any Google search, sometimes you hit the loaded diaper:
    http://www.babiesonline.com/articles...sontherise.asp

Why the huge jump in the number of multiple births?
    The most obvious reason for the growing birth rates of twins and multiples is the use of fertility drugs and treatments. These medical interventions are most often the reason for births of four or more multiples. Recent studies from the Center for Disease Control (CDC) show that approximately 43 percent of live births resulting from assisted reproductive techniques were multiples.
    But fertility drugs donít tell the whole story.
    Where you live could make a difference. If you reside in Massachusetts or Connecticut, a study by the National Center for Health Statistics found that the rates for twin deliveries was as much as 25 percent higher than the overall national rate. If you want to give birth to triplets, move to Nebraska or New Jersey. Both states boast a percentage of triplets that is twice the national average. On the other hand, if you reside in tropical Hawaii your chances of having a multiple will decrease to about 30 percent below the overall U.S. rate.
    Yeah, move to some place, and your multiple-birth likelihood will increase!!
    More likely:
    1. Fraternal twinning is partially hereditary, sometimes race-related.
    2. People in certain states likely have a historically large base of some nationality. (Hawaii, for example, has a large Asian popuulation, and Asians havea lower incidence of natural multiple births.)

Here's something more useful, but you have to do some work with the numbers:
    http://www.keepkidshealthy.com/twins...tatistics.html

There has been an increase in multiple births in recent years.
    In the United States, in the year 2000, there were:
    • 118,916 Twin Births
    • 6,742 Triplet Births
    • 506 Quadruplet Births
    • 77 Quintuplets & Other Higher Order Births
    That is a 74 percent increase in the number of twin births from 1980.
    And since there were just over 4 million births in the United States in 2000, about 3% of babies were born as a twin or higher order multiple (triplets, quads, etc.), which although not common, does mean that multiples are more common than many people believe.
    So what is your chance of having more than one baby at a time?
    Basically, it is 3% or 1 in 33.
    Well, if we take the year 2000 numbers and adjust them back to a less medically-assisted time period, say, 1980, then the chances of having a naturally-occurring set of twins is more like 1 in 59. If you're on fertility medication, the number is a lot higher.
    But to average the number and to assume that you are the average, 5%(?) of a fertility-drug-taking woman / 95% of a non-fertility-drug-taking woman and use the average twin birth rate would be spurious.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• For You!

Thanks for the article - i lived in Utah 5 years ago, and Robert Kirby is absolutely hysterical. I'd forgotten all about him. Thanks for the humor (my last trip was the first without a stroller - what a relief!) and thanks for the reminders of stroller dangers!

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

At my last Noon Meet (a week ago Sunday), I was sitting on the bench, and a stroller hit me!!!

I couldn't beleive it, just sitting on a bench is dangerous at Disneyland.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Good god not another stroller debate.

The Imagineers need to conjure up some jetpacks for the tykes. Kill two birds with one stone.
    1) Make Tomorrowland more look futuristic than it ever has.
    2) The end of strollers!

• Rock Star Minion

Strollers do not injure people.
    Stroller pushers do.