Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Hooterville, USA

Re: Why no AP entrance gates?

Answer: 600,000 APers!

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Rock Star Minion

Make things more convenient for guests who don't pay that day to get in? I think not.

A better solution: open DCA early to AP'ers. That'll increase the admissions there!
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Theme Park Advocate

I agree that there are mulitple advantages to us AP's but aslo the aspects of considering the additional CM's, confusion to the General Public and also consider that the entrance gate is another line that queues hunreds of guests keeping them out of the walk ways (ie. same as waiting for a ride). Other parks that have a AP only entrance, such as SeaWorld, end up having longer waits sometimes than the standard entrance. (although this is partialy because of the biometric scaners)
    themeparks.demonbird.com - pictures and reports of Disney and non Disney parks form across North America.
    Knott's Berry Farm - Spring Flowers - Snoopy's Spring Safari - Sierra Sidewinder

• Where's Push?

Being a APer, we don't need special entrance into Disneyland. I don't mind waiting in line with everyone else. But they do need a no bags line at Security. I remember one time there was a big family that was in front of me and in back of me. We pretty much walked up at the same time and I pretty much mixed in with them. I had no bags and would require no stopping. The family proceeded to pull everyone in front of me and they all had bags stuffed full of food and jackets, so the CM had to ask them to unload parts of the bags to see in them and then asked them to goto the lockers to put the food in them. It was probably only 5 minutes extra wait, but it was annoying. I always remember to bring my patience to Disneyland.
    Take Care,

Brenda

• Minion

As an APer, there really isn't a need. My concern would be that line would be even longer, as the number of local APers during off season outnumber the tourists. I saw what happened when they tried it in DCA. It didnt work, created more confusion, and sorry, but your APer pulls they same things as the average tourist. Just find the shortest line and get in it. The wait isn't that much longer. (I do avoid lines with a lot of strollers, or the lines where I overhear people asking "Is this the line for Disneyland?")
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfreeek
    Do you HAVE to sign your multi-day passes now? I am sorry to al AP's but a line is a line is a line. Wait your turn. You just want to get in fast so you can get in line for stuff before the tourists. Sheesh, be a little more compasionate for those who have never been to a theme park before. No it's no rocket science, but there are some that don't understand that you should probably keep your ticket out after you buy it, or have it ready before you get to the gate. Would you feel the same about people at the grocery store or getting tickets for a concert? Maybe, but there is NOTHING that you can do there right. Again with the entitlement and the ME ME ME.

I stood behind a woman at Longs one time that was actually counting out pennies for god sake, took her about 6 mins, but I waited, since I am a nice person and I really needed what I was buying. If you want in to Disneyland that bad, then JUST WAIT YOUR TURN IN LINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yes, and the word "Nimrod", is very uncalled for.
    I disagree. It's common knowledge that you need a ticket to get into a gate. Every theme park in the world uses that system. It's also common knowledge to have materials ready by the time you get to the front, whether you're at the supermarket, Blockbuster, or Disneyland. I think it's stupid to wait in a 10. minute line, talk about any and everything, and then hold up the line while you fish for information in you're overly stuffed backpack/stroller/etc.

I also hate it when people hold up the line digging for correct change. Do they think they're going to get an award for using correct change? Go to coinstar with the loose change for goodness sakes!

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Me thinks that the "class envy" created by a seperate AP-only line would only serve to exacerbate the tensions that are already existing at our precious park.
    Ap's exist allow guests to buy a years worth of access to the Disneyland Resort and to get some good discounts and free parking if you have the right AP. That's it! We Apers aren't that special. Let's all get in line with the tourists, wait our turn and have a good time.
    Besides, any good Aper knows how to game the FastPass system anyways.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by PirateMickey
    Why doesn't DL set aside two entry gates (or even just one) for just AP holders?
    You'd probably need about half of the entrance lines for AP'ers, depending on the time of day.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• A Pirate's life for me!

Some good points have been brought up. And a few that don't seem to hold water.

I wouldn't think that they would have to add CM's to accomodate the AP gate. Just devote one or two that are already there to the AP gate. If there were 10 assigned to the gates, and two were for AP's, the same amount of guests would get in vs. if all 10 gates were mixed use as they are now. Just fewer would be inconvenienced by the wait.

Also, I know that I would much rather be in a longer line that was moving faster, then in a shorter line with the associated "issues" that go along with first time guests or the clueless ones. And, sure, I'm not clueless...I know that some AP holders can sometimes hold up the line as good as the first-timers. Nobody's perfect. But that would be a significantly lower amount than the mainstream.

What I have a hard time figuring out, and what leads to my frustration with the system, is that I have never seen a person accidently show up at the entry gate to DL (or a movie theatre, baseball game, etc...). You are there for a reason. You are there to get INTO the Park. So why would you stand in a line, waiting, and even watching other folks hand over a ticket, and NOT have yours out and ready to hand over to the CM for entry??? That should be the definition of a NIMROD.

Kind of like hopping in your car to go to work, fully knowing that you have to cross a toll-bridge to get there, and not pulling the money out of your wallet ahead of time, then holding up a long line of cars while you dig out your wallet, or search under your seat for a few quarters for the toll. Again, you don't just accidently end up there. You're there for a reason. To cross the bridge to get to work. Sure, I know that there are folks that get an emergency call, change their plans and whatnot and end up having to cross the bridge unexpectedly. But not that many that the occassional bridge crosser (me) should notice this scrambling at the toll booth for money on a regular basis (while I sit there waiting). NIMRODS!

Please don't get me wrong. I don't mind waiting for good cause. Like if there was a car crash on the freeway and it slows things down. That is pretty much unavoidable and understandable. Rubber-necking/gawking, which is avoidable, is what gets me riled up. The same as the folks that hold up the lines because they are clueless. Once again...NIMRODS!

And no...As stated in my OP, this is not a me...me...me "I'm an AP'er, so get out of my way" type post. Our AP's are put in my wallet once we are in the gates and not pulled out unless we have to use them for a discount on food or a purchase or for re-entry. They are just a way for us to afford our passion of enjoying the Parks throughout the year. Just a post of my observations to the lack of competence some folks show while trying to get into the Happiest Place on Earth, and a possible solution to my (and a lot of other folks' feelings) about an issue with entering the Park.

It makes me wonder how some folks manage to get up in the morning and dress themselves... (AP holders or not!)

And whether we are an AP holder or a single day ticket buyer, we ALL paid to get into the Park.

• Just this guy......

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer
    Disney did try this at the DCA gates.

They had AP gates, Regular Park Guests (Paid tickets and ParkHoppers) and then a seperate turnstile for comps and CM sign-ins.

A big problem, guests not knowing which line to use, many just went to the shortest line, and screwed up the works.

The test only lasted a few weeks, and Disney decided it caused more problems that it solved.
    An AP gate fall into the category of "Good idea that does not work". The above problem is a good example why it doesn't work.

The real fix is to have more staff and have more gates open. Because people are walking back and forth between the DCA and Disneyland, you donít just have a gate rush in the morning. They are busy all the time.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian
    It's common knowledge that you need a ticket to get into a gate.
    Yeah, if you can't figure out you need the ticket at the gate, do us a favor don't enter the park.

I have to say we were thinking this at WDW a few weeks ago. FOR THOSE OF YOU OFFENDED BY APs PLEASE STOP READING: I AM ABOUT TO PRAISE APs AND BASH TOURISTS (good enough disclaimer?)

Being APs for many years, we are very familiar with WDW's Biometric readers. Tourists have no clue what they are doing. WDW needs an AP line just because it is a pain in the *** having 3 turnstiles staffed by one CM who has to go through the whole "two fingers only sir, no just two...not those two, those two, right...now squeeze, no squeeze, no you're not done!" with EVERY guest. So every line is oh so long because this ticket system in WDW is far to advanced for many people. So I concur, I hate being seen as the selfish AP, but I guess in many ways we have APs because we love Disney, and we go so much we know what needs to be done, and how to do it at these readers.

And part of it is the New Hampshire impatience, the "get out of my way you are too slow" way of "going".

• Quality not quantity

You might be a nimrod

If you think a park hopper is "Some kind of Easter thing"

If upon leaving the ticket booth you bury your ticket in your wallet for safe keeping

When leaving DL on your way to DCA you pass on the hand stamp because you are not coming back to DL.

If you are pushing more strollers than you have feet.

If in a pinch the supplies you are carrying into the park could keep a battalion healthy for two weeks.

You could be a Nimrod.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by PirateMickey
    Some good points have been brought up. And a few that don't seem to hold water.
    "Me, me, me!" doesn't hold water, either.

• Minion FOREVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer
    One well known trick.

Since more folks enter thru the west gates, mainly from the Parking Structure, the east gates (closest to Harbor Blvd.) tend to have shorter lines.
    Another somewhat known trick: the lines that are partially blocked by the
    monorail posts are usually shorter. (Although you might get people switching
    from lines next to it).

On the topic of special lines for AP. It's actually pretty well understood in operational analysis
    that having more servers (turnstiles) for more general queues, is the more efficient model
    (although it results in longer lines). Having specialized queues (although resulting in shorter queues overall)
    actually doesn't usually mean faster or more efficient. (becuase of the pre-selection that needs to
    be done and the higher potential for overwhelming either queue; they'll have to start estimating
    APs vs general guest everyday to open the "correct" number of AP gates). Now, that's "generally",
    obviously, if the process times and costs were HUGELY reduced for APs, then I can see this
    happening. But that doesn't sound like the case from the experiment at DCA (and to be honest
    I wouldn't expect it). I don't think that the difference in processing between an AP and a efficient
    regular guest is too different.

Now if DL does a better job of describing what the guests need to do: sign multi-day, get tickets out, etc
    could help speed up the actual processing time. If I was CM Matt, I would put signs and CM out front
    describing what they guests should do. Also I would put additional portable entry queues on the side for
    peak periods on the West side. (Basically, put out fencing to jut out into the Esplanade with portable entry turnstiles). Four or five additional turnstiles should help a lot. Anyway, my 2 cents...
    Last edited by nish221; 03-14-2006 at 10:36 AM.

• For You!

They should have 2 separate entries for strollers and wheelchairs - A wider gate that would be easier to get through, and the CM wouldn't have to walk around and let them in.

Having had to use a stroller the last few years (my last trip was the first without it), it would be easier to get through another entrance. And not stand in a regular line and take up so much space as well.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast