Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Rock Star Minion

Re: Why no AP entrance gates?

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist
    I don't understand the reason that the lines at the gates are so long. But, something needs to be done about the situation for everyone's sake.

I think Disney needs to analyze what exactly is causing the delays and, then, address the problem. If the only issue is the non-transferability of the multiple-day passports, then, Disney should be able to better prepare those guests before they even reach the gates.
    One main reason is that there are a lot of people entering the gates when they first open.
    There is process time, which I'm guessing at, say 5 seconds per person. Times, say, 4000 people in the queues, divided by 10(?) gates open.
    That's 33 minutes of waiting.

One observation:
    Some people like to talk up the CM at the gate. That's nice and all (and I've seen complaints here about surly CMs not wanting to talk it up, as if they're ruining the magic), but every second of yakking means everyone behind you waits an additional second. "What time's the 3:30 parade?" or, "Is Haunted Mansion open yet?" and stuff like that.
    Soluition Have additional CMs to answer questions a few feet inside the gate, maybe even being proactive and leading questioners away from the gates while answering their questions.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• A Pirate's life for me!

I like the idea of having a few CM's inside the gates to answer questions.

That way, all that the entry CM would have to say to someone that has a question is, "the CM over there will be happy to answer your questions" and then return to doing his intended job...getting folks into the Park.

MOST folks would understand that the entry CM is busy and wouldn't mind asking another CM their question.

That would help with the lines.

• Adventurer

The simple fact of the matter here is that while an AP gate(s) would seem like a good idea on paper...or screen for this matter...it wouldn't work. If people are nimrods about keeping their tickets out, their hand stamped, etc. what makes us think that they would be smart enough to read the signs saying "AP's Only" or "Strollers and Wheelchairs Only".

We are all smart enough here to know that people are generally stupid, and only continue to become all the more stupid when put into a strange and new situation.

Can't you just see a large family who has never been to any Disney park before, trying to enter into the park via the AP Only gate and being turned away by a CM and all the AP'ers looking on in abject hate. What a big welcome, 'eh?

So I do agree that the gate system needs to be improved, but I don't feel that segregation is the answer here. Before you'll know it there will be AP Only water fountains while the tourists have to drink from the hose in the back.
    The One, the Only, the Original:
    Dr. Indiana Jones

• Clearing my Calendar

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian
    I also hate it when people hold up the line digging for correct change. Do they think they're going to get an award for using correct change? Go to coinstar with the loose change for goodness sakes!
    Well, this I don't understand. Because I want to use the money that's already in my wallet, I have to go to a machine that I currently know of only one location for? It has nothing to do with an award (though I noted the sarcasm), it has everything to do with the money you already have while not having to pay a fee to make it "convenient". Sorry.
    "But every night, when it gets dark
    and the stars come out,
    I'll look up on her behalf.
    I'll look up in the sky and think of you."

Lots of thoughts expressed here, but only one I've heard that would help. Have a couple of "line attendant cast members" courtiously and professionally reminding all to have their tickets and passes ready seems to be the best possible solution.

What we seem to forget is the real mindset of most folks attending Disneyland. Their minds are not usually focussed on "line ettiquette," but are normally focussed on the anticipation of being at the Magic Kingdom or dealing with excited children and family/friends. They're thinking mostly of the fun they're in store for, not the folks around them. Right or wrong, this is the reality. Let's cut them a little slack for being excited. Having someone to gently remind them of ways to get in the park smoother and quicker seems like the best answer to me.

• Clearing my Calendar

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb
    Being APs for many years, we are very familiar with WDW's Biometric readers. Tourists have no clue what they are doing. WDW needs an AP line just because it is a pain in the *** having 3 turnstiles staffed by one CM who has to go through the whole "two fingers only sir, no just two...not those two, those two, right...now squeeze, no squeeze, no you're not done!" with EVERY guest. So every line is oh so long because this ticket system in WDW is far to advanced for many people. So I concur, I hate being seen as the selfish AP, but I guess in many ways we have APs because we love Disney, and we go so much we know what needs to be done, and how to do it at these readers.
    Remind me again... why does WDW have this feature?
    "But every night, when it gets dark
    and the stars come out,
    I'll look up on her behalf.
    I'll look up in the sky and think of you."

• Rock Star Minion

More:
    1. I don't know if they do this, but they could also open some of the exit gates during the busier times. Might require some reversible signage.

2. Have some Disney characters on the PA system reminding people to have their tickets ready and to have strollers (and personal vehicles) on the same side as the access gates. Add to the magic with a little Mickey Mouse (or an unintelligble Donald Duck).
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TraceCub
    Remind me again... why does WDW have this feature?
    I'm guessing there is more attempted cheating there.

• Gumball Rally Godfather

It's good to have the discussion... but calling people names, (i.e., nimrods) is not necessary to make your point.

And another thing...Many of these people are on vacation. That's why they are not reacting quickly enough for others. They are relaxed and enjoying themselves. Maybe some of us should try that approach as soon as we get to the Park.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Quote Originally Posted by sediment
    More:
    1. I don't know if they do this, but they could also open some of the exit gates during the busier times. Might require some reversible signage.

2. Have some Disney characters on the PA system reminding people to have their tickets ready and to have strollers (and personal vehicles) on the same side as the access gates. Add to the magic with a little Mickey Mouse (or an unintelligble Donald Duck).
    Great ideas!!
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• Banned User

If you want an ap gate then accept biometrics as well, lol

Of course no bag line /entrance is nice.. And wdw has a cm/guest entrance... But if you get biometrica that would cut down on the cms needed and you can have a ap gate...

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Circarama
    Great ideas!!
    Thank you.
    Every now and then, the impossible occurs.

• Minion

The simple fact of the matter here is that while an AP gate(s) would seem like a good idea on paper...or screen for this matter...it wouldn't work. If people are nimrods about keeping their tickets out, their hand stamped, etc. what makes us think that they would be smart enough to read the signs saying "AP's Only" or "Strollers and Wheelchairs Only".
    Sad but true. The average guest doesn't take the time to read anything. Fastpass is a perfect example. Despite the fact the info on how it works is EVERYWHERE, guests still don't get it. What amazes me is how even though invalid fastpasses state why they are invalid, most guess continue to get more until it sets in. Afterwards, they promptly set their collection of invalid fastpasses on top of the machine rather than in the trashcan located 5 steps away in the same direction as the exit...

Well, this I don't understand. Because I want to use the money that's already in my wallet, I have to go to a machine that I currently know of only one location for? It has nothing to do with an award (though I noted the sarcasm), it has everything to do with the money you already have while not having to pay a fee to make it "convenient". Sorry.
    I don't know about you, but Coinstar is everywhere in my area. I can't name a supermarket that doesn't have one... I guess I can see your point, although I could argue the notion of "convience". If it takes you X amount of extra minutes to dig for change, which is inconviencing everyone else in line, ESPECIALLY on a busy weekend at Blockbuster :ahem: then you just nullified your point...

Quote Originally Posted by sediment
    People do not read/listen to anything at the parks.

Ex. 1: Count how many people try to get on the tram despite the warnings of "Do not cross the yellow line, this tram is ready for dispatch".

Ex. 2: Count how many people use flash photography in darkrides.

Ex. 3. Count how many people ask what time the parks close even though they've stated it on the tram.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian
    People do not read/listen to anything at the parks.

Ex. 1: Count how many people try to get on the tram despite the warnings of "Do not cross the yellow line, this tram is ready for dispatch".

Ex. 2: Count how many people use flash photography in darkrides.

Ex. 3. Count how many people ask what time the parks close even though they've stated it on the tram.
    That's why a Disney character voice is needed. Those bland recorded messages going in and out the ears.
    The tram person's attempt to break the talking-speed record (intelligible is not required) doesn't help, either.

My ideas are extremely cheap. Your ideas, um, hmm, do you have any ideas about this? Or do you think there is not an issue?

It's possible that there isn't an issue. There are thousands of people waiting to get in through a small number of gates. An extra minute or two shouldn't bother anyone, especially someone who's been there often.

• Minion

I don't think most people realize CoinStar charges to count your change for you!! I am one who LOVES to use change, especially if a drive thru makes me wait (I count change then!) But, I always have it precounted....
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast