Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Clearing my Calendar

Re: Why no AP entrance gates?

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian
    I don't know about you, but Coinstar is everywhere in my area. I can't name a supermarket that doesn't have one... I guess I can see your point, although I could argue the notion of "convience". If it takes you X amount of extra minutes to dig for change, which is inconviencing everyone else in line, ESPECIALLY on a busy weekend at Blockbuster :ahem: then you just nullified your point...
    Nah, there's only one location that I'm aware of here. But that's beside the point as I have one of those sorters here at home. (I was just miffed at the idea of having to pay a fee just to add convenience to someone else's life. )

And, while I understand there are people who count pennies or don't have everything ready before check out, I have my wallet ready to go with my change purse ready for action. And if the amount isn't easy, I tend to also use the rule you use in math, more or less. I'll round up.

Say the total is $3.43. I'll hand over three dollars and two quarters. Instead of spending the time searching for those four dimes and three pennies, or that one quarter, one dime, one nickel and three pennies, or... I'm just happy I used some of the change, even if it means I end up with a nickel and two pennies back.

I really am aware of other people's feelings in line! But don't hate me just because I opt for using cash now instead of later with credit.
    "But every night, when it gets dark
    and the stars come out,
    I'll look up on her behalf.
    I'll look up in the sky and think of you."

• Clearing my Calendar

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t
    I don't think most people realize CoinStar charges to count your change for you!! I am one who LOVES to use change, especially if a drive thru makes me wait (I count change then!) But, I always have it precounted....
    Change counters unite!!!
    and the stars come out,

• Life is Great!

Actually the lines into DL are long all day, we got there sunday at noon and still had a 20-30 min wait in line to enter. with park hopping, the lines will be long all day, I do think having some of the exit lines as enterance lines and having question answerers just inside are great ideas too!

< very happy my new boss changed the routine at work so i have my surfin/chattin time back most days, woohoo!!!

{:

Quote Originally Posted by sediment
    One main reason is that there are a lot of people entering the gates when they first open.
    There is process time, which I'm guessing at, say 5 seconds per person. Times, say, 4000 people in the queues, divided by 10(?) gates open.
    That's 33 minutes of waiting.

One observation:
    Some people like to talk up the CM at the gate. That's nice and all (and I've seen complaints here about surly CMs not wanting to talk it up, as if they're ruining the magic), but every second of yakking means everyone behind you waits an additional second. "What time's the 3:30 parade?" or, "Is Haunted Mansion open yet?" and stuff like that.
    Soluition Have additional CMs to answer questions a few feet inside the gate, maybe even being proactive and leading questioners away from the gates while answering their questions.
    MCDA - A Healthier, Happier Me!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sediment
    That's why a Disney character voice is needed. Those bland recorded messages going in and out the ears.
    The tram person's attempt to break the talking-speed record (intelligible is not required) doesn't help, either.
    Nearly every recording inside the park is lively an upbeat. HM is practically in your ear, but guests still don't take heed...

My ideas are extremely cheap. Your ideas, um, hmm, do you have any ideas about this? Or do you think there is not an issue?
    I don't really see it as an issue, but I have a great idea... People need to use more common sense. Imagine the amount of money/time/effort that would be saved if everyone just thought a little bit more. No need to have spanish safety speils that instantly take you out of the ride moment, faster or shorter lines that require less CM's, reducing operating costs, etc.

It's possible that there isn't an issue. There are thousands of people waiting to get in through a small number of gates. An extra minute or two shouldn't bother anyone, especially someone who's been there often.
    I agree, it's not really that big of a deal, but it does get annoying when you're in a short line and the longer line is moving twice as fast as you...

But eh, that's why I go during the week!

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t
    I don't think most people realize CoinStar charges to count your change for you!! I am one who LOVES to use change, especially if a drive thru makes me wait (I count change then!) But, I always have it precounted....
    Not if you get a gift card. You can pay your phone bills (Cingular, verizon, etc.), get starbucks, amazon, or other gift certificates that don't deduct anything from your change. It's the way I buy most of my Disney DVD's, and how I pay my phone bill.

• Original Mice-Chatter

meh- you just think you're too good to go through the same gate

• Clearing my Calendar

You can get a gift card? Hmm, it's been a while since I've looked at one.
    and the stars come out,

• DLR -> WDW Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by PirateMickey
    I like the idea of having a few CM's inside the gates to answer questions.

That way, all that the entry CM would have to say to someone that has a question is, "the CM over there will be happy to answer your questions" and then return to doing his intended job...getting folks into the Park.

MOST folks would understand that the entry CM is busy and wouldn't mind asking another CM their question.

That would help with the lines.
    Wrong. Then you'll get that "OMG that Cast Member was being RUDE to me and told me to talk to someone else!"

I think though, like WDW, that there should be a "Cast Members and their Guests" gate. Main Gate Passes take FOREVER to scan in and process, especially at WDW if you aren't a WDW Cast Member. I remember the Cast Member trying to scan my Main Gate Pass like 10 times before it would finally process, all because she wouldn't listen to me on how to scan it properly (since I had gone through the process like 10 times already that trip)... and hell, I was by myself. Before the whole Florida-Site/California-Site BS that Pressler implemented, if I was by myself all I had to do is flash my DLR ID and bam, I was done... now I had to go through this scanning BS that only works on certain turnstyles (and ONLY for DLR CMs, since WDW CM MGPs just slide into the turnstyle like a normal ticket) no matter if I was by myself or had three Guests with me.

I do feel kinda bad trying to get into our Parks and one time I even overheard someone (I had turned around and she had an AP in her hand, so I guess I kinda understood) behind me muttering, "Oh my God what's taking so long!" while the Cast Member scanned my Main Gate Pass, stamped it, punched in the number of Guests that I had on the keypad, pulled out the temporary tickets to use for PHing and FastPasses, fumble to find a marker, then take my ticket and write CM on it, then hand me my "CM" ticket and then each of the other tickets to my Guests before we were finally done and ready to be bombarded by the Kodak people.

Sigh.
    Last edited by Burnt Toast; 03-14-2006 at 12:08 PM.
    Burnt Toast
    The Magic Begins With Me...! 8:P

• DLR -> WDW Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by TraceCub
    Remind me again... why does WDW have this feature?
    I like it, it's not their fault that some people are either too clueless to look at the pictures on the many signs in front of the turnstyles or above the turnstyle area. I have to use them when I park hop, I found it to be much quicker and I got the hang of it quickly. Love the way they eliminated handstamps as well.

That is if people are paying attention (I'd understand if it was their first trip into the Parks on their visit and it was all new to them, but after a few times you would think that people would get the hang of it).
    Burnt Toast

• Clearing my Calendar

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Toast
    I like it, it's not their fault that some people are either too clueless to look at the pictures on the many signs in front of the turnstyles or above the turnstyle area. I have to use them when I park hop, I found it to be much quicker and I got the hang of it quickly. Love the way they eliminated handstamps as well.
    No, seriously. LOL I want to know what the feature is and why they put it in!
    and the stars come out,

• DLR -> WDW Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by TraceCub
    No, seriously. LOL I want to know what the feature is and why they put it in!
    Basically it's a finger scanner... you put your index and middle fingers into the little scanner (spread out like a V), then you squeeze those two fingers together on the little metal divider inside.

It takes a scan of a bunch of different points of your finger (but not your fingerprint), like the shape and size of your fingers and the bone structure. It keeps track of it for X-amount of time (longer if you are an AP or a CM) and you use that to prove that you're the Guest that first used that pass.

Now sometimes it does misread and flash the old red light, so sometimes you have to do it again just so it can get a better reading (like your fingers weren't around the metal divider enough or not far enough in). I've never seen that happen when I was there at WDW last. They aren't a sure-all solution though, since it does misread a bit.

It's quick, simple and easy to use (well, to most people), and it eliminates the handstamp lines when you try to get out of the Park. I love them.

One of the main reasons why they were put in is because if you can see with the ticket pricing structure, tickets go to like just $2 just to add extra days onto the pass. There's a huge "black-market" in Florida to buy like a 10-day pass, use what you need, and then sell off the rest. Now Disney is not responsible if you buy your tickets second-hand and most people don't care about that little detail or try to blame Disney for their mistake on buying tickets from someone that you don't know. The biometrics system is basically there to deter people from selling their tickets to someone else because theoretically it's assigned to someone else's finger structure. It deters people from selling their tickets, on paper... again, it doesn't work 100% all the time.
    Burnt Toast

• Clearing my Calendar

Well that cleared that up! I guess there's a lot of problems of people using someone elses pass then, huh?
    and the stars come out,

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Actually, biometrics also has an important function with AP holders.

It eliminates the photo processing, and allows any Ticket Seller to sell an AP, the ticket is just printed with your name by the original ticket seller (or even self service machines). This eliminates having to go to the Bank of Main Street and stand in another line. It also saves Disney a lot of money, by not having to staff the Bank of Main Street, or deal with the database of photos.

In fact, it was the AP holders at WDW that first went to the biometrics. Multi-Day tickets were the next to switch over (to prevent the re-selling to another person), and then finally all types of tickets.

Other theme parks have also started to switch. SeaWorld/Busch Gardens uses it for their Annual Pass/Season Pass holders.

Disney is coming up with a new system they are planning to switch over to at WDW, once the system has its bugs worked out, it should be installed in Anaheim, to gain the AP benefits and to try and stop the reselling of the Multi-Day ParkHoppers.

Also, the system is supposed to be able to support self-service machines, and Print at Home tickets. SeaWorld San Diego has a bank of these machines, and will allow someone who has printed a voucher with a barcode at home to scan their voucher, and get a "ticket", which would be important to Disney for FASTPASS use, and for insertion into the Turnstiles, or for new AP folks.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Rock Star Minion

I know a better way to keep the AP Program from being abused....
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

Why not a Special AP Parking lot and AP land in the Park too?...Ooohh Better idea- an AP only Park!... Say...your own backyard?.....lol
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by PanTheMan
    Ooohh Better idea- an AP only Park!
    I thought there was an AP Lounge next door already?
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast