Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• A Pirate's life for me!

Angry Why no AP entrance gates?

OK, maybe this has been covered too many times before, but I just have to ask...

Why doesn't DL set aside two entry gates (or even just one) for just AP holders?

No, I'm not one of those holier than thou AP holders just looking for another perk because I (think I) own the place.

I'm just talking common sense. Hear me out.

During this trip I have noticed more nimrod guests causing delays at the gate for reasons that just don't make sense. What are people thinking? I mean, they just bought their ticket a hundred or so yards away, they are at the gate with the CM asking for their ticket, and now they realize that they have to dig it out of their pocket or their purse, or backpack, or get it from someone else in their party, so they can enter the Park. They waste so much time. What are they thinking? That they no longer need their ticket? Please...

I just don't get it.

The other problem is with the folks that buy a multi-day pass, and then wait until they get to the gate and have to be told by the CM that they have to sign their name on the pass, and then the CM has to ask for their ID to verify the signature, so they (again) have to dig through their wallet, their purse or whatever else that they have to hold their ID in, before they can show it to the CM. That happened twice in front of us today. It wastes soooo much time.

No wonder the lines are as long and as slow as they are.

Even before we were AP holders, we had enough common sense to have our entry tickets in our hands ready to give to the CM so we can enter the Park.

Think of it this way, without the AP holders in the "regular, or paying" guest lines, they will have fewer people in their line and their lines will move faster as well. (yeah, right...)

It's a win-win for both type of entries!

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

Re: Why no AP entrance gates?

i totally agree!! we seasoned DLR guests know the protocol...i think there should be a couple turnstyles for AP's only....kinda like the express lanes at the supermarket...the only problem then would be making sure non-AP people didn't get into the AP-only line and cause even more backups and congestion thatn there already is.

I don't understand the reason that the lines at the gates are so long. But, something needs to be done about the situation for everyone's sake.

I think Disney needs to analyze what exactly is causing the delays and, then, address the problem. If the only issue is the non-transferability of the multiple-day passports, then, Disney should be able to better prepare those guests before they even reach the gates.

• A Pirate's life for me!

Well, it's not rocket science...

They wouldn't need the usual corporate multi-million dollar study to figure this one out.

Just have a few of the Disney suits stand by the gates and watch and listen. It shouldn't take them too long to figure it out. They are (supposedly) well educated executives...

Something should be done.

Thanks!

• Hunka hunka burnin love!

Huntington Beach, CA - 30 minutes away from Disneyland!

here here. good post, ol' chap!
    We're addicted to Disney

I was there on May 5th, 2005! and July 17, 2005!

• Lost in Wonderland

Why they don't have a separate AP gate-- I'm sure it all has to do with reducing the number of cast members required during normal park operation. And during the off-season, most of the time there isn't much of a line to enter, so they don't really need a separate AP gate.

Remember when they had separate gates for handstamp re-entry guests? Whatever reason they eliminated those is probably the same reason they don't have an AP gate.

• Hey, that's not Rose!

Do you HAVE to sign your multi-day passes now? I am sorry to al AP's but a line is a line is a line. Wait your turn. You just want to get in fast so you can get in line for stuff before the tourists. Sheesh, be a little more compasionate for those who have never been to a theme park before. No it's no rocket science, but there are some that don't understand that you should probably keep your ticket out after you buy it, or have it ready before you get to the gate. Would you feel the same about people at the grocery store or getting tickets for a concert? Maybe, but there is NOTHING that you can do there right. Again with the entitlement and the ME ME ME.

I stood behind a woman at Longs one time that was actually counting out pennies for god sake, took her about 6 mins, but I waited, since I am a nice person and I really needed what I was buying. If you want in to Disneyland that bad, then JUST WAIT YOUR TURN IN LINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yes, and the word "Nimrod", is very uncalled for.
    It's Robin Hood I want!

Disneyworld 1987

• My Children's Father

Isn't it enough to know which lines move faster? My "entitlement detector" did start beeping when I read the first post. And I'm an AP!

Maybe they need Fastpass for the entrance gate ........
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Disney did try this at the DCA gates.

They had AP gates, Regular Park Guests (Paid tickets and ParkHoppers) and then a seperate turnstile for comps and CM sign-ins.

A big problem, guests not knowing which line to use, many just went to the shortest line, and screwed up the works.

The test only lasted a few weeks, and Disney decided it caused more problems that it solved.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Panda
    Isn't it enough to know which lines move faster? My "entitlement detector" did start beeping when I read the first post. And I'm an AP!

Maybe they need Fastpass for the entrance gate ........
    I'm new to MC and don't know the secrets of which lines move faster. Can you fill me in? Pleeeease???

Thanks

P.S. One problem I notice (going mid-day/mid-week) is that they don't have enough gates open and that's when the lines get so long.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

One well known trick.

Since more folks enter thru the west gates, mainly from the Parking Structure, the east gates (closest to Harbor Blvd.) tend to have shorter lines.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

It's a nice thought, but there are too many other factors that might cause these magical ap gates to actually run slower than the general gates:

1) Several of the delays encountered in getting in are the result of CM's who, while being wonderful, stop and chat with the guests, answer questions, and take their sweet time scanning the tickets. At this point, I think we would prefer friendly CM's, but the end result is a longer wait.

2) You'd be very surprised at the number of AP's who forget where they PUT the AP before coming up to the gate and you'd have the same problem.

3) If it's an AP heavy day, and they all show up around the same time, the AP line might be two to three times longer than the general line.

4) Another hint. Look for the planters as a new line usually forms after you get past the planter. Even if the lines stretch across the esplanade, sometimes there are only a handful of people in the planter lines.

And on a closely related topic - I'm still waiting for my "no bags" line! If you come without a backpack, there should be an express lane to get through security!

• Circle of Ancients

^ We have been screaming about a no bags line since the current bag check booths open. WDW has them, heck ... Even MAGIC MOUNTAIN has them. It's ridiculous.

As for AP only lines ... with all of the AP's they would be longer than the normal lines. The only reason a Season Pass line works at SFMM is because their entrance plaza is not open on both sides. The far side is for season passes and everybody knows it.

• Quality not quantity

Having recently been through the entrance lines at both DL and DCA I feel eminently qualified to pontificate upon this situation.

1. The vast majority of people are not paying the least bit of attention to the process. This does not necessarily make them stupid or nimrods it just makes them slow. They have to juggle "stuff", dig for tickets, or don't have the correct tickets.

2. Strollers and Wheelchairs. There should be a better way to deal with these. Right now the CM has to step out of position to open the little gate and usher the guest through. It easily takes two to three times as long to pass a wheelchair or stroller into the park. That's not fair to the handicaped or anyone else. Perhaps widening the turnstyle so everone can use the same entrace would speed that up.

3. Hand stamps. People DO NOT GET THIS. I only went back and forth between DCA and DL once and in both directions I was held up by people with park hoppers but no hand stamp. Why not stamp people on the way in?
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

• Disneyland Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by PirateMickey

During this trip I have noticed more nimrod guests causing delays at the gate for reasons that just don't make sense. What are people thinking? I mean, they just bought their ticket a hundred or so yards away, they are at the gate with the CM asking for their ticket, and now they realize that they have to dig it out of their pocket or their purse, or backpack, or get it from someone else in their party, so they can enter the Park. They waste so much time. What are they thinking? That they no longer need their ticket? Please...

I just don't get it.
    Very good points brought up by everybody.

I just wanted to add than in my last visit (Presidents Day weekend) we actually encountered nimrod APers too! LOL. Nothing like being behind an APer that is blocked that day and somehow thinks he's going to get through? And then having to wait for the poor CM to bring out a blockout calendar and show him that today is blocked! And then argue with the CM "but we just drove 40 miles in the rain" um, OK I guess they should let you through, then?

So I guess my point is, there are, mmmh how should I put it delicately, not so bright people on both sides, KWIM?

Now the "express backpackless line" I'm all for it!

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast