Talking Advise for some Aussies please!

Hi, my twin sister and I are thinking of coming over to Disneyland for the first wk of December. Is this a good time to come? What Xmas things will be going on then, anything special? Is it a fairly safe area to come to and what is the security like? my only concern is terrorism etc. Hope someone can help, thanks!

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Re: Advise for some Aussies please!

First off welcome!

No worries about security problems. I mean if something happens it happens, you cant live life being afraid. Besides I'd be more afraid travelling to say, Detroit, than Anaheim (sorry all you Detroiters - lol). So come on and enjoy all that we have to offer here in sunny SoCal!

Early December you'll see crowds because all of the Christmas stuff will be up. It gets more crowded the later on in the month you go so if you must come in December come early.

Remember thats close to our wintertime (late fall) so the temps will probably be chilly unless we get a hot Santa Ana wind blowing through, then it'll be warm and dry.

Haunted Mansion Holiday will be in full swing as will the xmas parade and if they bring it back, "snow" after the fireworks! Plus all the nummy holiday treats will be available!!

Hope this helped a bit.

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Just wanted to say welcome and give a shout out to a fellow Aussie

As far as terrorism stuff goes, everything is about as safe as could be. From our end of the world, we do HEAR a lot of reports and horror stories but I can say my own trip from Down Under to Over There went very smoothly. The airports are strict, requiring bag checks, the odd shoe removal and this sometimes means long waits in line. Disneyland itself has a bag check and plenty of security (although many will remain invisible until they are needed). I rarely had more than a 10 minute wait though, and went straight through on my way back home.

That said, the whole point of terrorism is striking where it is least expected. However, I felt nothing but safe the whole time I was there. The only danger was of maxing out my credit cards before I got back to Sydney

Otherwise, Xmas sounds like a magical time to go! Hope you enjoy
    Last edited by Loomis; 03-15-2006 at 03:05 AM.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by aussiedaisy
    Hi, my twin sister and I are thinking of coming over to Disneyland for the first wk of December. Is this a good time to come? What Xmas things will be going on then, anything special? Is it a fairly safe area to come to and what is the security like? my only concern is terrorism etc. Hope someone can help, thanks!
    Definitely come for a holiday with us, be sure to pack no fear and Hugh Jackman.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Always watching...

The first week of December is the best time! All of the holiday decorations are up and all the holiday shows are all going on. It's also the least crowded time of the season. Don't get me wrong, it will probably still be busy, but the first 2 weeks of December are by far the least busy of the holiday season. Come on over!

You don't need to worry about those cowards (Terrorist, dirty pigs, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by C-HOX
    You don't need to worry about those cowards (Terrorist, dirty pigs, etc.)
    Terrorists AND dirty pigs! Maybe I don't want to go back...

So that's why they were checking me for ham at the airport as well...
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

The candle light vigil may or may not be the first week of December.

The Resort is very slow to get info out about that. It's a special sort of solemn Christmas parade with a celebrity Grand Marshall. I don't think it's an official public event, but they sell tickets to it, with special packages.

Unfortunately, as I say, they don't get information out about the Candle Light Vigil until sometimes less than 3 weeks advance----not exactly loads of time to plan.

But again, it's not really an official "public" event, it's mainly for employees. But it's very special and quite a tradition for them, in early December.

Quote Originally Posted by Loomis
    Terrorists AND dirty pigs! Maybe I don't want to go back...

So that's why they were checking me for ham at the airport as well...

• All you need is LOVE

welcome to mice chat yes first week in Dec is the best I think. Hope to meet you when you come

I went to Disneyland last May. I was told about all these stories about customs and the airport. I arrived a scared little Aussie, and got straight thru no dramas and no fears. There is nothing to worry about you will have a great time

• Rock Star Minion

First week in December is host to the Cast Member parties. Monday and Tuesday. DL will close early, 6PM. So will DCA, for some reason.
    You'll get enough to do during the day, and there will be fireworks before closing.
    You'll need only 2.5 days to experience everything.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Clearing my Calendar

Now I'm curious as to how we're portrayed Down Under! Details details!
    "But every night, when it gets dark
    and the stars come out,
    I'll look up on her behalf.
    I'll look up in the sky and think of you."

Quote Originally Posted by TraceCub
    Now I'm curious as to how we're portrayed Down Under! Details details!
    No worse than we are portrayed over there, I'd imagine! "Shrimp on the barbie" and all that. We don't even call them shrimp (we call them prawns). Mind you, there are a few people here who have the whole 'Aussie bloke' thing going for them, but the majority of people that live in the city are pretty much the same as the equivalent of any coastal city. (The majority of Aussie cities are by the water).

We are inundated with American pop culture, so most people would gather their information from that. I think our media, like your own (from the little TV I watched over there), has pounded people with the idea that terrorism is everywhere and we all need to be alert but not alarmed. People all over the world are afraid to travel, especially if you have little or no experience with travel.

Mind you, I did see at least one guy with a "Muslim Fanatic Butcher" stencil on the back of his car while I was over there. I'm not going to buy into stereotypes though, because then I'll have to wear the Crocodile Dundee comparisons