• Dislike It

8 18.60%
  • I like some ideas, not all

16 37.21%
  • I can care less

2 4.65%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• ...TWO BITS!

DLR's Fantasmic 2.0 show additions ideas...

Hi, I came up with an update for, well, an update to the great original Fantasmic in Disneyland. I will try to keep this brief and not too detailed. From what I understand about the behind the scenes of the current show, I think this COULD be possible. I will try to explain what would happen backstage in another post. And I hope to you from you readers and let me know if I missed something. Or let me know what could be fixed. Or what new segments can be switched ENJOY! Actually, this version can be put into another park for Tokyo, Paris, or Hong Kong. Thus, untouching the original in DLR.

1) Original Opening
    2) Original Mickey the Sorcerer
    3) After Mickey's Sorcerer segment, Genie comes out on stage says: "WHOA!! 10,000 years will give you such a creek in the neck!". Then a rendition of "Friend Like Me" starts with multiple Genie back up dancers to dance with Genie. Cider Mill lights up like Las Vegas. Genie says "You ain't never had a friend like me!"
    4) Original Flowers segment
    5) As flowers leave, a rendition of "I Just Can't Wait to be King" or "Hakuna Matata" plays with blacklit giraffes, crocidiles, flying birds, elephants, antelopes, hippos, zebras (basicly the same Lion King animals from WDW's show). Tarzan & monkeys make their way onstage.
    6) Tarzan and Terk join monkeys for "Trashin' the Camp". They bang metal pieces, dance, and cartwheels. Monkeys doing tricks on small trampolines as well. Everyone runs off stage as Kaa approaches.
    7) Original Kaa & Monkeys scene. (Maybe add Baloo and Mowgli on their own barge instead of a 3rd dancing monkey barge??)
    8) Original Pink Elephants
    9) After Pink Elephants, Alice in Wonderland segment comes onstage. Includes Alice, White Rabbit, Mad Hatter, and Tweedle Dee & Dum. (Perhaps a new appearance from Hare Rabbit??). Characters walk around trees, signs, plants, and stacks of teapots from the film. Chesire Cat puppet on a tree. Rendetion of "Very Merry Unbirthday" plays.
    10) Mutli-color fireworks representing falling confetti starts for Festival of Fools. Festival of Fools segment prances in next. Alice segment walk off stage. Reuse those fanciful costumes and props from the old Frontierland show and bring them over here. Juggling & fire-juggling as well. This is a transition because from a wildly colorful Wonderland comes the wildly colorful Festival of Fools. The transition from here to Pinchicco is that since Clopin is a gypsy, maybe the transition would make sense because they are entertainers. And in the Hunchback film, Clopin had hand pupeets. Perhaps Quasimodo and Esmeralda can join in the fun too. I remember in the Hunchback and in Animazement, Clopin entered on a large wagon. Maybe they could bring in the wagon via trap doors?? Not sure if that is possible. Otherwise, forget the wagon.
    10) Original Puppets
    11) 1st 30 seconds of Jiminy with Goldfish. The part where Jiminy gets his hat, bubble fills with water and pops will be deleted.
    12) "Under the Sea" rendition with Sebastian and blacklit puppets from the Disney-MGM show. Bubbles are projected on water screen. Bubbles over audience won't work because you have to light the audience in order to see the bubbles. Bubbles on stage will be a slippery situation for actors. Plus the water screen will look good for this underwater segment anyways.
    13) Bring back 50 seconds into Jiminy, Monstro segment where Monstro opens his eye and continue with the rest of the clip.
    14) Original Peter Pan & Pirates
    15) Princesses Medley will be modified to add more princesses.

1st, 1 canoe will row through quickly. Canoes come from Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes. Probably 6 Indian dressed CMs rowing. Each canoe's end is lit with a torch similar to WDW's version. John Smith & Pocahontas sit in the middle facing each other. "If I Never You Knew You" plays as the characters perform the song in sign language to each other. The canoe will be rowing close to TSI because I fear the barges might accidentally crash into them. In effect, the barges will float through being closer to the audience.

2nd, Aladdin & Jasmine get a new barge set up so they are riding carpet. Under carpet, smoke/fog drifts down to the water. The fog glows blue and white. Creating the illusion they were are floating over the water. "A Whole New World" plays of course.

3rd, Beauty & the Beast will be on the main land stage. The floating encased rose is with them as "Beauty and the Beast" plays. Same routine as if they were still on the barge.

4th, Ariel & Prince Eric are on the opposite side of the stage. Same routine as if they were still on the barge. "Part of Your World" plays.

5th, Princess Auroa and Prince Philp are on their own barge with "Once Upon a Dream" plays.

6th, Cinderella and Prince Charming are on the 2nd barge with "So This Is Love" playing.

7th, Snow White and HER Prince Charming stick to the same routine with their same barge.

16) Original Evil Queen, Magic Mirror. B&B and TLM followspots fade out as they walk off stage and followspots fade in for Evil Queen.
    17) Original Transformation To Witch, Magic Mirror.
    18) Original Ursula segment and barge float with just her like in the good old days. And for goodness sake, pronounce "tenticles" correctly! The water screen projects the sea witch's home.

The water screen continues with Agrabah projection as Jafar and Hades comes onstage in the same barge as Aladdin & Jasmine were on. But Jafar (human form) is sitting on carpet holding his staff. The smoke under carpet glows red and orange. Jafar: "It's time to say goodbye to Mickey. His universe is mine to control. HE He he. (song) Mickey Mouse, yes it is he, but not as you know him. Read my lips and come into grips with reality. Yes meet a blast from your past. A lie too good to last. Say 'hello' to your precious Mickey Mouse! AH AH AH!" Jafar's singing is speeded up for time constraints. When he's finished, his staff sparkles like in DCA's show.

Hades is running about on the barge. He can "float" because he is a god. Hades: "YES, Hades rules! Let's get ready to rumble. What are those?...you are wearing his merchandise!?...AAHH! Okay, I'm cool. I'm fine. SO, Mickey's thoughts are oh so noble. Oh, you'll love this one more thing". When it's his turn to speak, the water screen projects his home (the image that looks like a skull). (I think the "merchandise" sentence might be wrong for this).

If F! cast & crew know the villain barges will be down, the villain projections would be switched to villains projection of them talking.

Ursula and Jafar/Hades barge go off to the side, still on stage, but far away enough from the flames on ROA. Barges stick around for the dragon climax. Right when Mickey takes the sword from the stone, the villain barges move offstage and strobe lights blink on them as their disappear.

New dragon is built. Basically they will build so people can see from the dragon's chestline and up. The arms will each be operated by one CM just moving them up and down. The arms will be quite close to ground level. They will mostly move and "hover" over the ground. The dragon skin will be made of light material. The wings will take on a similar structure like an umbrella. Able to flap, extend, and extract.

19) Original Chernabog
    20) Original Maleificent & Mickey with Jafar and Hades additions.
    21) Original Dragon & Mickey with Jafar and Hades additions. Hades: "My favorite part of the game: Sudden Death"
    22) Original Finale
    23) Original Exit Music

Ta Da! I hope you like it. I will try to explain what might happen backstage with the new additions in another post.

Hmmm... this version might be too long. I would estimate it to be somewhere around a 7 minute addition to the current running show length...
    Last edited by filmfreak11; 03-18-2006 at 12:02 AM.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• is confuzzled.

Re: DLR's Fantasmic 2.0 show additions ideas...

I really like your idea! However I dont think its really a 2.0 because of all the original material left in it. It seems like it would be a great update but not a sequal.

• Former Epcot CM

More of a Fantasmic 1.5.

I just hope they keep the original Fantasmic until I get a chance to see it - hopefully around 2008/9.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• ...TWO BITS!

Okay, yeah. I'll agree it's more like 1.5.

-I forgot to mention a new dragon! Mainly a body/chest to disguise the puppeters operating the dragon. And 2 more puppeters operating an arm on each side. The material used for dragon skin will probably be thin, maybe a skrim so wind can still pass through. Also a better neck and wings so it doesn't look like drags. Fiber optics can still be there.

-For Pocahontas, maybe John Smith and Pocahontas do sign language of their song. It just seems weird to have them sitting there smiling and waving. OR just have 1 canoe with the 2. Maybe Pocahontas sits infront of John Smith both facing forwards or Pocahontas is riding backwards facing John Smith.

Thanks for the comments and votes

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• ...TWO BITS!

-Near the completion of the Genie segment, he lights up Vegas lights on the edges of the Cider Mill on the island . Then Genie is surounded by blasts of smoke and disappears where Mickey first appears on stage (because that is where Genie can exit via trap door. But I'm not sure if Genie would have a hard time locating the trap door to descend on it without injury)

- The Flowers segement transitions into The Lion King. With TLK's elephant, that transitions into Tantor with Tarzan segment. The transition might be able to use the same water screen projection from WDW's, but I think it's too short. Then monkeys walk off stage as Kaa crawls through and The Jungle Book monkeys dance on barges. Normally it would be 1 barge of monkeys, 1 barge of monkeys & King Louie, so the next barge could be with Baloo and Mowgali. Then return to the original show with Pink Elephants.

- For the Tarzan segment, probably have 4 monkeys, Tarzan, Jane, Terk, and Tantor. Monkeys jump up and down on small trampolines. But light enough to transport on and off stage quickly by themselves. Tarzan & Jane on Tantor (maybe a facelift of the walking elephant used in DCA's Aladdin show). And Terk is pumping up the energy maybe.

-The original Princess medley will be shortened to commadate

-Beauty & the Beast when seen on stage will dance on the corner of stage right. Then Ariel & Prince Eric come up and dance on the corner of stage left. While B&B go off stage in the darkness. Then CM can continue setting up for the Evil Queen if they need to. Then Ariel & Eric exit to the darkness (Eric may have to carry Ariel??). They still have the rock that Ariel sits on from the barge.

-Hades would say: "Hades RULES! Okay, I'm cool. SO, Mickey's thoughts are oh so noble. Oh, you'll love this!" Lastly he could mention something like: "WHY are you wearing Mickey's MERCHANDISE!!??" to the audience.

-And if the CM know the villain barges will be down, perhaps they could have the water screen project the villains talking there instead of images of their homes. Or might as well forget the villains home and keep the animated villain projections of them talking.

-The longer length with the new villains help out the CM preparing the dragon. From what I understand, the timing is pretty tight with DL's dragon. And the timing with WDW's dragon is a little more relaxed with the extensive use of the water screens.

-In the water screen as Maleficient turns to a dragon, Jafar could turn into the snake. Or just remain human and laughing it up. Hades says: "Sudden Death". Or something like that from the movie. But I think that's also in the WDW version. When villains are being destroyed, Jafar says: "NOO!!" and Hades says: "Aak, get off of me!" (referring to the lighting bolts).

-New barge storage could hide in the unused northern area of Tom Sawyer Island if done right. Like dig into that center part of the island to make a new bay. And they're would be a new false rocky or forest doorway from ROA into this new dock. And for the current dock that is near Indian Village, but a false rocky wall up to cover the barges from view. A roof is not needed, but could be there.

-Also forgot to mention fix up the Island's fort so guests can walk in there and have it be a much safer backstage for F! CM.

I checked and the current show is about 22 minutes long. So with some time tweaking I would think at MAX. this new F! 1.5 version would be 28 minutes. (I know 22+7=29. I just think it's possible to have it between 27-28 minutes).
    Last edited by filmfreak11; 03-16-2006 at 04:43 PM.

-Jurassic Park

• Circle of Ancients

Your ideas are very good and keep with the original theming of Fantasmic!. Good job! I also have my ideas for a new Fantasmic! Hopefully, some new rendition of this great show will find its way to Disneyland soon. The original is great, but there is so much more technology than was available in 1992, that I would like to see some new things. As long as they keep the idea of Maleficent as the dragon, I will be happy.

• ...TWO BITS!

Thanks Aura of Foreboding. I'd really like to read what your ideas are. I agree, the original IS great. Better than WDW's version in my opinion. But that's for another thread. Technology has definately improved over the years. Unfortunately what I posted up I don't think took advantage of that. 1) Cider Mill lit up Vegas style 2) a new Aladdin barge 3) new Ursula barge. I hope any one who reads this can input some new technology that could be used.

Hmm... maybe a new Hades AA on the barge and when he gets really mad, his head/hair and arms light up on fire...??

I would think if Disney used this thread's ideas it would be for the show's 20th anniversary. And who knows, maybe new characters and even better technology will come in. Plus DCA's Aladdin show would surely be done and the elephant could be used for the new F!

-Jurassic Park

• Banned User

I was thinking about this, just keep it as Fantasmic! Shows with '2' in them become dated too quickly. GREAT IDEAS THOUGH!

• ...TWO BITS!

O, of course there wouldn't be a 2. That's lousy. Of course I just want to call it "Fantasmic!". But in the promos, they wouldn probably just say: "Experience the NEW Fantasmic!".

Why didn't I think of asking this before?! Does anyone know any secrets to this show regarding CM? Like how the Jungle Book flowers, monkeys, and kaa snake also double up as pirates. Do the costumed characters also take on double duty? This is so I can better figure out where to put CM for this new show. Also, are the Pink Elephant and Pinchoccio people the same and do they do double duties as well?? THANKS.

-Jurassic Park

Someone once told me you could see the whale in the river. Like during the show you'd see this large hump/tail... That would be amazing if they did that. But then again, I'd be nervous whenever I went to the island, thinking the whale was disengaged.

• Disneyland Nomad

Talking Re: DLR's Fantasmic 2.0 show additions ideas...

Quote Originally Posted by filmfreak11
    17) Original Ursula segment and barge float with just her like in the good old days. And for goodness sake, pronounce "tenticles" correctly! The water screen projects the eeire purple waving feel from the sea witch's home or actually project her home depicted in the film.
    I think that would be so cool. I just had one thought from the quote above. Ursula got too expensive, that why she is a melted tarp, is kept getting holes. They would have to come up with a new way to do her, and Hades because I imagine he'd have the same problems.

• ...TWO BITS!

^ Hmm... what about using the same material used to make Kaa & Dragon's head?? A material that is flexible yet durable. They seem to be holding up well. Or are those always replaced?

Quote Originally Posted by Lacrossedragon
    Someone once told me you could see the whale in the river. Like during the show you'd see this large hump/tail... That would be amazing if they did that. But then again, I'd be nervous whenever I went to the island, thinking the whale was disengaged.
    I think Monstro is just the water screen.

-Jurassic Park

• ...TWO BITS!

I read in a thread that some people don't like the Pinchicco puppet/blacklight/fiber optic segment. But I always hear positive reactions around me when that comes up. So I thought, what if it had a better transition from Pink Elephants to Pinchicco. So here's my solution, this will be added to the first post:

After Pink Elephants, the Festival of Fools segment comes next. Reuse those fanciful costumes and props from the old Frontierland show and bring them over here. This is a transition because from a wildly colorful pack of elephants comes the wildly colorful Festival of Fools. The transition from here to Pinchicco is that since Clopin is a gypsy, maybe the transition would make sense because they are entertainers. And in the Hunchback film, Clopin had hand pupeets. Perhaps Quasimodo and Esmeralda can join in the fun too. I remember in the Hunchback and in Animazement, Clopin entered on a large wagon. Maybe they could bring in the wagon via trap doors?? Not sure if that is possible. Otherwise, forget the wagon. At the end, have multi-colored fireworks shoot out representing confetti!
    Last edited by filmfreak11; 03-16-2006 at 05:08 PM.

-Jurassic Park

• ...TWO BITS!

More thoughts:

Between "Pink Elephants" and "Festival of Fools", how about "Alice in Wonderland". The teapots "A Very Merry Unbirthday Song". Reuse the flowers from Parade of Dreams. Maybe not with stilts so as to be more safe. Could bring in cards, Mad Hatter, White Rabbit, and Alice. And probably 3 dimentional blacklit teacups and plants.

I figured out the base of King Louie's stone throne is also used for Ariel's barge for her to sit on. This changes what I had in mind for it... Anyone know if that base is permenant?

I have an idea to have a nicer looking barge. You know on really new tourist busses you have the skirm you can pull down for shade from the window? Why not configure that to put on the sides of the barges. On the outside it's for the jungle/bushes blacklight. Then backstage, CM can easily use a pully system or roll the skirm back by hand. So behind the skirm will show a colorful 3-dimensional fiber optic side board. You still get the feeling of the multi-colored lights used now for the Princess Medley, but with this new barge design, it will have more visuals.

Had an idea to have a separate Hades barge similar to Ursula so he can blow his hair and arms with real flames. But the whole Hades with real flames I have in mind for Valley of Villainy. So a walk around Hades will walk around on the Aladdin/Jafar flying carpet barge. It will still make sense they are both "floating" since Hades is a god.

So after the Jafar/Hades and Ursula barge come on stage, what if they were kept floating onstage to the sides out of the way of the fire on water. So the villains are still present. And Mickey can point his sword at not only the dragon, but at Jafar, Hades, and Ursula as well. Then the barges go dark and drive off stage.

Also, I noticed Mickey just picks up the sword from the floor. What if he takes the sword out of a stone ala "Sword in the Stone" instead. Like what they do for WDW's. It looks better pulling the sword from the stone in my opinion. I think this is about the only thing I like about WDW's.

I'd like to somehow incorporate the new lighting projections used in "Remember" from the castle on Cider Mill. But I'm sure most of you will argue those lights should be exclusive to the castle. I don't blame you.
    Last edited by filmfreak11; 03-16-2006 at 05:12 PM.

-Jurassic Park

• Mountain Dew User

Blog Entries

Not a bad idea! it would improve the show, but the downside is more people would view the show decreasing space for late spectators. If Disney were to update the show, it probably wouldn't be for another couple years.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast