Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • June 3rd, 2011

If you personally can redesign Tomorrowland

Ok, What if you were granted complete control and unlimited cash flow to redesign and save Tomorrowland, what would you do?

Starting from the entrance into Tomorrowland. The spaceships...yanked and moved back to the top of the Peoplemover station where they belong but keeping the same theme.

Buzz Lightyear will keep it's current location, unless the ride sucks then I would plan on something else there.

Star Tours. Recollaborate with Lucas and come up with 2 new movies and two new starspeeders. For this rebuild we will have to take over the Star Trader and Arcade. The First new movie will be set into the Star Speeders with REX. It would involve going to Tatooine and getting mixed up in a Pod Race. The new Star Speeders will have Animatronics of Han and Chewie and will be set on the escape from Tatooine mixed in with some elements from Empire. Have the speeder blasting it's way out of an Imperial blockade. Star Destroyers move to block the exit while Tie Fighters buzz the ship. Han hits the hyperdrive and NOTHING. C3PO appears on the side screen and explains the hyperdrive is down and R2 is working on it. Han and Chewie have to do a lot of twists and rolls to avoid the Ties as the hyperdrive is being worked on. When the shields go down and smoke and sparks start happening inside the speeder and all looks lost...R2 comes through and Han engages in the Hyperdrive and Boom....We're outta there.
    The exit will lead into a Star Wars themed area that has a restraunt designed after the Mos Eisley Catina and a store with one of a kind Star Wars Merchandise. In this area there will be costumed Star Wars Characters mingling with the guest. Also the exit of Space Mountain will exit out into this area as well to add to that just flown through the galaxy feel.

That's all for now. Gotta' head out for Doctor's appt.
    PirateMunkee

Visit My Horror Designs Store!!!

• e komo mai

For starters, the Astro Orbiter would be relocated to the back where the rockets used to be. Then it wouldn't block the entire view of Tomorrowland like it does now.

Tomorrowland: The world of tomorrow, today.

In this fantastic, future world, corporate moneymen have seen the light at the end of a very dark tunnel. Old, and decrepit, they have passed the running of Disneyland to young visionaries.

As you enter this land, a magnetic levitation rapid transportation system hums overhead. To your left, is your chance to save the galaxy, courtesy of Star Command and the galactic hero, Buzz Lightyear.

To your right is the Star Wars spaceport. Star Speeders leave for every corner of the Galaxy. Favorite destinations include Tattoine, the Moon of Endor, and Hoth.

Walking deeper in the world of tomorrow, shining steel and concrete architecture give this land a surreal, other worldly feel. A large merchant shop opens on our right, and a wall of video screens bombard our senses on our left. Images from all over the universe temp us with visions of other worlds, new products, new services, places to go, places to eat.

Here the land opens up. To our right is a nostalgic simulation of what it was like to travel around our solar system on old-fashioned action/reaction rockets. See images of our solar system as you jet past them at less than super sonic speeds. Hidden beneath the towering mountain is inoventions. A showcase of corporation technologies being developed to make your life better.

Moving counter clockwise around this land another chance to journey where no one has gone before. Here you can have the chance to stand on the bridge of a starship and watch the action unfold around you. Have no fear, should trouble arise you can always take a shuttle and return to the spaceport.

At the very back of this mystic land, is the large rotating building detailing the history of how we got to here and were we are headed. In this show, several very life like robots tell the history of technology. From its earliest days during the renaissance to the discovery of faster-than-light travel.

As you leave the historical presentation, take a moment and walk accross a grand bridge spanning high above this land and visit a stunning tribute the past. Towering above the entire land is small musuem dedicated to the history of spaceflight.

Along the far left side of this land, is the Autopia. Buzzing along the few remaining highways are self-aware, private transportation vehicles. Hop in and take a spin. Do you dare override the computer controls and drive for yourself? You might bump into another vehicle if you did.

As you exit from your robotic car, a large submersible is ready to takes you deep into the worlds oceans. No longer the private tool of the military, deep-water subs are now a common means of transportation for the general public. See the underwater farms and vast underwater colonies. Visit long forgotten ruins. Venture deep into the great trenches still forming the earth’s crust.

Tired of our future land? Just above our deep submersible dock is our monorail transportation system, ready to return you to your own time.

Our visit is complete, but before you go, please stop at the spaceport located near the center of this land for a quick bite to eat. Sample food grown from all parts of the galaxy. Try the seaweed steak burgers -even captain Nemo would have approved. Brought you by the only survivor of the corporate trade wars – Pepsi-cola.

Thank you for your visit.

First off, change the color scheme to silver, greys, purple, dark blues, and a hint of gold trim. New details are added around the land. Get rid of the lousy looking murals and add more detail and futuristic decoration there.

Astro Orbiter: Make it different from the DLP version and move it to the top of the people mover station where it once was. Give it more sliver colors with Buck Rogers type themeing where you can see the bolts in the architecture.

Star Tours: Wait until Eisner's gone, then collaberate with George Lucas once again to create a updated different experience. Instead of going to just Endor, passengers can travel to different planets like Naboo, Tatoine, Kamino, Hoth, and more. But of corse, you never make it no thanks to Rex. The speeders them selves will look more interesting instead of the boring boxes they are now. The movements of the simulators will be more fluid and better special effects and different encounters on each trip add to the intensity. On the out side, landing platforms on top of the buildings with X-Wing fighters to add to the space port themeing.

Buzz: Looking good! Just add more details and new paint scheme to the side of the building. As for Club Buzz? Retheme it to something different, because you can't have a Buzz themed ride, shop, and resturaunt together. It would just be too much.

People Mover: Enforce the structure of the over head track and add a better narration that sound like robot voices introducing the different encounters along the trip. The viecles will go much faster than the old ones did ( atleast 10 mph ) and the trip around the autopia won't be as long. The viecles will be brand new looking more futuristic.

Star Cade: Turn it into a smaller version of Innoventions here with Tom Morrow.

Space Mountain: Keep up the good work on the rehab!

Cosmic Waves: You are the weakest link. Good bye.

Moon Liner: Make it open year round with better treats and more detailed instead of a stupid small drink stand under a big rocket.

Innoventions: Move to Star Cade like I said above. Replace it with Alien Encounter ( yes, I know, its gone in WDW, but I can dream can't I? )

HISTA: Farewell! Make way for something new, like some sort of attraction relating to time travel? Atleast make the enterance off to the side, so it doesn't block the way of Space Mountain.

Monorail: Move the station from on top of the Subs qeue to the old sky way station. Also, re route the track so it doesn't go around the Matterhorn ( it just looks so out of place there! )

Subs: Yay! Bring them back better than ever. No nemo! It would destroy the theme. Just make it a futuristic sub ride into the depths of the sea. However, I was intriged by the animatronics in a glass tank effect though, so why not use it more?

Autopia: Make the cars electric powered with neat little details in the car like an alien radio broadcast that you can listen to in the car. Get rid of the "cars are alive" theme, and just make it a futuristic car ride. Add more scenery like aliens, robots, and bill boards.

That's about everything!
    Hail Matt Ouimet, the savior of Disneyland!

I'd do a total revamp.

There should remain a few nods to the past, but they could be limited to the original show buildings and some kind of peoplemover using the existing track, but with stations at several points to provide a purpose to the ride.

When they did the 1998 overhaul they basically gave up on the idea of "predicting the future until the future caught up with it" by moving into more of a fantasy kind of thing, some sort of light, non-cohesive "high tech" theme with some Jules Verne styling.

So they ought to really go nuts and do some serious future predictions of what life will be like in centuries to come.

So divide the land into themes:
    Space - with exhibits on space colonies, faster-than-light travel, wormholes, extraterrestrial engineering
    Home - the fully digital and automated home with all of the entertainment, maintenance, construction material, communication and living arrangements exhibited
    Medical - bio-engineering, bionics, nanotechnology, new medicines, cures for disease and medical/psychological healing advances
    Engineering - showing structures made incredibly light and strong by using nanotubes and other molecular-level construction techniques; huge towering buildings and vast cities constructed under domes with climate controls
    Autopia and the highways of the future - maglev cars with road-controlled guidance and avoidance systems

Walt said "Nothing's impossible at Disneyland" - so any of the items predicted and shown could be displayed in one way or another in Tomorrowland by clever imagineering.

They could do a really cool "adventure through inner space" sort of exhibit detailing a trip through the human body as though riding inside a nanodoc - a nanotechnology robot doctor (this isn't a new idea, but it's cool).

There's tremendous potential for that place, it just takes some imagination.

• They wanna know, HO!

I'll draw up a small plan when I get home, but as everyone said, move the rockets and reinforce the platform, rebuild the peoplemover and turn it into WDW's version with overhead cannopies and all. Referb Star Tours, keep Buzz, tear out subs/autopia and place Timekeeper and put a refurbished Adventure Thru Inner Space there and in Innoventions, with the enterance in innoventions. Get rid of Innoventions, but keep the Segways and build a whole experence around them in the old arcade.
    ...a vaguely celtic music fills the air...

• Horizons

I agree with the thought that this should be both a past- and future-looking "land". Bring back the Peoplemover, but have it travel through a mock up of a look at the future of the 1950's and 60's. (The scene from Horizons would be perfect - the Jetson-esque diner in space). You could even throw in some Jules Verne for good measure (like the excellent Tomorrowland in Paris). Also include some info on past and current space programs from around the world: Apollo, Mir, X Prize.

Then, have info on our current future outlook. (This might have to be flexible - most "future vision" get dated pretty quickly). Include alternate energy, genome research, manned space flight to Mars, etc.

To me, the theme should be something like "Tomorrow's Big Dreams".
    Attention Horizons passengers: You are invited to choose your own flight path back to the FuturePort.

If it were up to me, I'd return the Peoplemover, rebuild the skyway and run it no matter what problems may result. It operated for decades, it can now. Return the subs. Drop the cheesy autopia theme, at more landscaping and make it a scenic drive with the uniqueness of having tomorrowland across the pond. Increase the number of monorails operating. Bring captain EO back to replace the tired and stupid HISTA (I don't care if it's MJ, it was a great attraction. While they're at it, at least bring back the escelators to the spacemountain que. Adventures thru inner space is a classic high capacity attraction that seems cheap to build. Put that in and take out Starcade and Pizza Port if need be. It would be an improvement. Just close innoventions. If something valueable can replace it great, but removing this is addition by subtraction. Here's a wild idea: build Spaceship Earth inside of Innoventions, or just bring back Carrosel of Progress. Put Rocket Jets back in the center of Tomorrow land. I know there is a theme to this whole post. I don't think they should have messed with the place in the first place.

• Minion

If I had unlimited cash flow, Id totally rip TL to the studs and start again. All glass and steel buildings with modern sculptures and lighting effects. SM, ST, and Buzz would stay, but with new entrances. The Peoplemover track would be torn out and replaced with a high-banked modern track for a high speed attraction that actually took you from one side of TL to the other. The former loading platform for the peoplemover would be changed to a times-square-eque feel, with jumbotrons and spfx. As mentioned before, the ride at the entrance would be torn up and replaced with a fountain/special fx show that doesnt interfere with crowd flow. There wouldnt be a real color scheme except glass and steel, maybe blue walls and such. One ride that would be brought back is an indoor version of the hover-discs. The subs would be brought back with the Nemo theme and a new station.

ick... the skyway was an eyesore and it let you see the park from up high so you could see the ugly tops of buildings...

• Minion

Agreed, Id leave the top of the old peoplemove station vacant, or put that rocket up there.

• I won't grow up!

Every poor disabled ride must make a come back, subs (minus the nemo), People mover (and not the odd super-fast version that was four-five years ago)
    The Atro Orbiter has got to be moved, if not done away with compleatly. The ride does not entice people to enter the park, it isn't a fun eye catcher - It's just there and is nothing spectacular, you can the same effect on Dumbo...

BTW - Love your discription Corith

Working daily to infect my two little princesses with Disney obsession

• MiceAge Columnist

You did say unlimited budget, right?

First off, I'd gut pretty much every building there. We can toss in homages and tribues to what "came before" later on. Then I'd allow the TL buildings on the south side (facing Main Street) to expand into the current CM backstage area - really build new stuff here. Rides that focus on the future. At the moment, the future means genetics, advanced materials, outer solar system exploration. Focus on that.

Raze the carousel building. Put something amazing in its place - like truly cutting edge technology. No, I don't mean Segway. Return to the idea of MAPO actually creating new technologies. Who better than Disney to debut working holography? I expect a holodeck/holosuite out of Disney within ten years. Don't showcase other people's innovations... come up with some innovations of your own!
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

Quote Originally Posted by KevinYee
    You did say unlimited budget, right?

First off, I'd gut pretty much every building there. We can toss in homages and tribues to what "came before" later on. Then I'd allow the TL buildings on the south side (facing Main Street) to expand into the current CM backstage area - really build new stuff here. Rides that focus on the future. At the moment, the future means genetics, advanced materials, outer solar system exploration. Focus on that.

Raze the carousel building. Put something amazing in its place - like truly cutting edge technology. No, I don't mean Segway. Return to the idea of MAPO actually creating new technologies. Who better than Disney to debut working holography? I expect a holodeck/holosuite out of Disney within ten years. Don't showcase other people's innovations... come up with some innovations of your own!
    and there you have it

from Kevin Yee and he's using Trecky talk Holograms rawk but I doubt we'll have Holosuite level technology anytime soon (but 3D movies without the glasses are a diffinate possiblity)

what would you do for colors though?

Quote Originally Posted by Jspider
    ick... the skyway was an eyesore and it let you see the park from up high so you could see the ugly tops of buildings...
    If that's the price to be paid for an incredible view of Disneyland, then so be it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast