Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast

Disney: Stop selling Annual Passes

Let's be frank and honest: It may be a good idea to stop selling annual passes. Jim Hill writer and former imagineer Mark Eades might be right. Is it really in Disney's best interest to have so many regulars at the park each and every day? Beyond what we as individuals think what about for the collective general public, does our constant presence contribute to the park in a positive way other than financially?

P.S I really wanted to call this thread "Should Disney: Stop Selling Annual Passes" There is no way as far as I can tell to change the header of the thread.
    Last edited by CAspace; 03-16-2006 at 03:50 PM.

•   
    • Minion

Re: Disney: Stop selling Annual Passes

(Waiting for Sediment to arrive...)
    Check out my other blog:

• Lowering Expectations

Uh oh, another AP-bashing thread...

Watch out CA for the angry !

That being said, I think it's a little unfair to say that AP's ruin the park experience. Bad apples will turn up, be it AP's, tourists or otherwise included. There are those who 'abuse' the annual pass and thus the park too, but most just love the park and bought the pass so they could enjoy the magic that much more.
    Follow news-savvy @DLtoday on Twitter by clicking on the banner below:

• Vehicle rotating backward

Not a terrible idea for a thread, but the fact that you didn't say anything other than to go read Jim Hill makes it a poorly executed one that may end up in the Community Outpost instead of being kept here.

Perhaps you should expand on that? Quick?

Post edited. I figured since the last thread I started has hit 10,000 views perhaps it was time to start a new one. If we dig real deep we may find some truth to last years Jim Hill media article regarding stopping the AP program.
    Don't get me wrong, from the selfish standpoint I would never want to see the program end but in looking at the picture from a different angle, it may be a good idea. Not for us as individuals but for the benefit of the general public as a whole, then again perhaps Ap's are like the cheerleaders at a sports game, perhaps we really do add to the magic.

• Lowering Expectations

He had something else written at first but he edited it... Hmmmm.
    Follow news-savvy @DLtoday on Twitter by clicking on the banner below:

•   
    • Minion

I have been reading articles on Netflix and "Throttling."

The AP is an amazing entertianment value, but some of us do wonder if unlimited, really should mean unlimited...

I personally think that the AP's are too good a value... So Cal Residents should not be allowed to purchase one for 20-someodd bucks more than the price of a day's park hopper... That is a little insane, even with the blackout limits to it...
    Check out my other blog:

• Banned User

Well, I wouldn't stop selling ALL of the AP's but the premium one can leave. IMO it's not a much better value than the Deluxe. I mean really, can anyone go to DLR everyday? And parking included, well okay, if I'm 6 years old I'm going to drive there and get my parking for free! And it seems that SOME people with premium seem to be the people that think that they can get anything they want, because they payed over $300.

EDIT: If Disney stops selling AP's where DCA will lose a lot of money because unfortunately most of the guests are AP's, or guests will park-hopper tickets.

• What, where am i?

Quote Originally Posted by CAspace
    Let's be frank and honest
    I don't know about honest, but i know i am Frank. LOL Annual passholders are the people that bring in the most money besides tourists!
    If life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade. Then find someone who's life has given them vodka and have a party.

I look at you and I see 2 men. The man you are and the man you ought to be. One day those 2 will meet and should make for one hell of a football player!

If this is torture, chain me to the wall

Are you there God? It's me Jesus.

Locke and Jack are to busy worrying about Locke and Jack.

The best kind of Prize is a surprise! Hehehe

The sun never sets on the Disney Empire.

• Minion

Well if you think about it, getting rid of the cheap AP's will only clear up the "crowds" during the week days during off season. Honestly, there are no crowds on the week days during the off season!!!

Also, most AP's cant go on Saturdays, and thats the most busy time of the week. So what do you propose to do to clear up crowded Saturdays? Kick out the tourist's?

Think about it. AP's are there to make Disney money and to put people in the park during off season and low traffic days. Thats why most AP's have the busy days blocked off. This is not contributing too over-crowding as much as people wish it was. Not many people can afford the $350 AP, and if they could and it was not an option, they would be at Disneyland anyways since they have the money!

I live 2 miles away from Disneyland if Walt would've built it at Riverside and Buena Vista.

I figured since the last thread I started has hit 10,000 views perhaps it was time to start a new one.
    I don't know why, but I laughed really hard when I read that line.

----
    Dear Disney,

Don't stop selling Annual Passes. At least don't stop selling Deluxe and Premiums. The others can go.

Keep it real,
    A. Stings

• Vehicle rotating backward

No, the Premium and Deluxe are the ones that the need to leave behind, and their prices perhaps should go up a little bit more. Do you know what an AP costs at WDW? Almost $500.

Furthermore, the people who buy these Premium and Deluxe APs are not all locals. Many of them are from out of town, some further away than others. Even if they aren't from far away, that they're willing to spend so much on adission typically makes them a Disney afficionado who makes the company a lot of money. Take any number of MiceChatters here, or a guy (for instance) like CircaRama who buys Subs figures and Walt's Apartment tours. You don't want to cheese them off and away from Disneyana by taking away their big ticket. If you take away Deluxe/Premium, they will come less often, and the company will lose income from the customers who spend some of the most per-person.

What needs to go is SoCal and SoCal select. These people are all locals who come in and use the park like a mall, that hang out and take up space and are typically not as dedicated to Disney (the ones who are would most likely buy the more expensive APs if SoCal was cancelled.) Because they're here simply because they smelled a good deal, they also typically do not pay the inflated prices for park food, probably don't do as much shopping per visit as tourists do.

At least a dedicated Disney-head with the Deluxe AP may sometimes buy a lunch at the Blue Bayou, but the discount-savers will hesitate to even buy a Mickey Mouse bar. Meanwhile, they take up space in ride capacity and cramped walkways just like anybody else does. They also know how to use FastPass to the point of near-abuse, and getting rid of this tier will mean less of that garbage.

• I'm your huckleberry.

All I know is that Disney certainly isn't hurting for money. Despite what many people will say, AP's couldn't be hurting the company's bottom line that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• Gumball Rally Godfather

I figured since the last thread I started has hit 10,000 views perhaps it was time to start a new one...
    Yeah, I'm suprised you haven't broken that spoon you use for "stirring the pot".
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    What needs to go is SoCal and SoCal select. These people are all locals who come in and use the park like a mall, that hang out and take up space and are typically not as dedicated to Disney (the ones who are would most likely buy the more expensive APs if SoCal was cancelled.) Because they're here simply because they smelled a good deal, they also typically do not pay the inflated prices for park food, probably don't do as much shopping per visit as tourists do.
    Like I said above, that would only clear up the week days, and both are blocked off anything near a holiday!!! That will not accomplish anything other then making DL a ghost town on the weekdays. That may seem appealing, but its not attractive to a paying tourist since there is no buzz or synergy. Only AP's like an empty park, and getting rid of AP's to get an empty park is pointless.

Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast