Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• back in Austin

Question Disneyland monorail: what does "shuttle mode" mean?

I'm planning a trip to DL for next month and would love to know what "shuttle mode (one-way trips only)" means. Might affect which hotel I stay at.

• See Ya Real Soon!

Re: Disneyland monorail: what does "shuttle mode" mean?

From what I understand it means you can get on at either monorail station but must get off at the other end. Meaning you can go from DTD to Tomorrowland and Tomorrowland to DTD. But can not got Tomorrowland to Tomorrowland. It also means less trains running and longer turn around time. (longer waits)

• враг народа

Blog Entries

It means that the monorail does not go in an entire circle. Two monorails travel back and forth over the same piece of track. The track that winds over Tomorrowland and Fantasyland is not going to be used to help with the construction of the Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage.

• back in Austin

Thanks. That's what I was wondering... if the loop isn't made but that the same track has a monorail that goes back and forth on it. My main concern was whether you can go in both directions. Apparently so, it's just that the phrase "one-way" made me wonder if they weren't using it only in one direction, say from DTD to TL.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Looks like it will be only one monorail running at a time, they decided that having two on the track would not help, due to the load/unload times.

Basically they are using the shorter half of the loop, and the actual trip is about 3 and 1/2 minutes from Tomorrowland to Downtown Disney going thru DCA and the GCH.

The monorails have been behaving most of the time, but they have closed down due to mechanical problems, and when they do, it takes longer for them to switch out the trains.
    Last edited by Darkbeer; 03-18-2006 at 09:37 AM.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• back in Austin

Right. Logically, they can only have one going at a time this way. Does anyone know what the wait is like at the DTD station? I'm guessing it's longer than when several monorails are operating under normal conditions? Just curious.

When the monorail is on the "backwards" segment (reverse direction from normal), do they have a specially arrangement spiel for that part? They couldn't play the regular one because it wouldn't match up at all. Or is it just silent?

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy
    When the monorail is on the "backwards" segment (reverse direction from normal), do they have a specially arrangement spiel for that part? They couldn't play the regular one because it wouldn't match up at all. Or is it just silent?
    There is a different spiel each way, though both plug the new Monsters, Inc. ride.

The Monorail pilots tend to override the first part of the spiel when going from DtD to Tomorrowland.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

As for wait times, I'd say that they are about the same. Forcing people to get out at DTD has made a HUGE difference.
    -Monorail Man

• A Pirate's life for me!

We used the Monorail quite a bit during our week long stay this week.

No problems to report and the wait times were minimal (maybe 10 minutes) in between. We actually only had to wait a full turn once, the rest of the time, we got to load onto the first one that arrived.

The kids even got to ride in both end cars during our stay. When running in reverse, there was a CM in the rear car (which became the front car) with a radio, just in case.

Due to the pending strike, they were training drivers. There was quite a bit of stopping and starting to get to the final resting spot before they would open the doors and let folks in and out. Kind of fun, actually.

The overall experience did not ket us down at all. No real difference between full service and one-way travel.

Kudos to the CM's for making it work!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Shuttle mode: The Monorail goes back and forth between Tomorrowland and The Disneyland Hotel. Only a single train runs. (Think about it.)

Wait time: The round trip (not counting the wait time in the station) takes about 7 minutes. We were there two days ago and just missed the train at Tomorrowland. We only had to wait about 10 minutes for it to return.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Chaney
    Shuttle mode: The Monorail goes back and forth between Tomorrowland and The Disneyland Hotel. Only a single train runs. (Think about it.)
    They had been running 2 trains, but I believe they found the ridership way down and went to just one train.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• back in Austin

Thanks for the replies, everyone. How could they run two trains???
    Inconceivable!

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by edtsch
    Thanks for the replies, everyone. How could they run two trains???
    Inconceivable!
    not really...picture one train waiting further back on the track while one laods...the loading train takes off...the waiting train pulls up for more people....same thing happens at the other staion....

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by edtsch
    Right. Logically, they can only have one going at a time this way.
    Actually, they used to have two that traveled sort of close (but safely) together. One would load, pull forward to make room for the next, it would load, and they'd both head back to their destination.

Appearantly they're more concerned about the people in the first Monorail having to wait for a second one to load, though. That's what it sounds like from the above.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast