• D'LAND BIRTH YEAR BABY

What is Walts Fifth Freedom anyone have the text?

Ok I know its the Freedom of Free Enterprise but searching the net I cannot find the text of his Fifth Freedom. Reading it on the mural in my younger days I always thought his belief in freedom of enterprise is what created Disneyland and forged Walts vision. It may not be politicaly correct in the current times but it seemed like the fundemantal roots which he lived by. Does anyone know the text of the mural? It seems like free enterprise goes hand in hand with creativeness and thats what the foundations of the park and his life were based on ...sort of damned the torpedos kind of attitude....

• Down Pluto!

Re: What is Walts Fifth Freedom anyone have the text?

Ahem... Answer is a corporatist response to Roosevelt's New Deal. Can be found here.

Also from Noam Chomsky...

"The central--and not very surprising--conclusion that emerges from the documentary and historical record is that the U.S. international and security policy, rooted in the structure of power in the domestic society, has as its primary goal the preservation of what we might call the "Fifth Freedom," understood crudely but with a fair degree of accuracy as the freedom to rob, to exploit and dominate, to undertake any course of action to ensure that existing privilege is protected and advanced. This guiding principle was overlooked when Franklin Delano Roosevelt announced the Four Freedoms that the U.S. and its allies would uphold in the conflict with fascism: freedom of speech, freedom of worship, freedom from want, and freedom from fear.

The internal documentary record of U.S. planning and, more importantly, the unfolding historical events themselves yield ample evidence to evaluate the significance attached to the Four Freedoms in doctrine and in practice, and to demonstrate their subordination to the Fifth Freedom, the operative principle that accounts for a substantial part of what the U.S. government does in the world. When the Four Freedoms are perceived to be incompatible with the Fifth, a regular occurrence, they are set aside with little notice or concern." -- Noam Chomsky (1988), from The Culture of Terrorism

Re: What is Walts Fifth Freedom anyone have the text?

I believe the "Fifth Freedom" mural was created for the exit lobby of the Disneyland Opera House after Mr. Disney's death.

The mural is still there behind a false wall.