Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• A Pirate's life for me!

Re: Monsters and Flowers and Bees, Oh My...

Bee's are nothing new. We've seen them for as long as I can recall. We leave them alone and hopefully they return the favor...

We did see them in the plants next to the entrance to the building for Monsters this week. As usual, we just looked at them and left them alone.

• no flash photography...

yes...all through DL there were bees in the flowers...lets see, spring, flowers, pollen = bees....unless someone is allergic to bees a stin g is relativly harmless....maybe Disney shoudl stop planting flowers...that would solve the problem....oh, maybe not...i did get stung on the Queen mary while looking down in the chain locker....no flowers there...

I took this around the hub area...
    Last edited by SCUBAbe; 03-17-2006 at 07:53 PM.

The big black Bee !!!! Are you talking about the big Carpenter Bees?

I think its bark is worse than its bite. I read somewhere that the Carpenter males don't sting.....they just have a really loud buzz, and they intimidate, but won't actually sting. Now the female Carpenter Bees.....they're the ones with stingers (wouldncha know it) ....but they have to be really provoked to do it.

But, they really can scare though. That big black bee did nothing but frighten me throughout childhood.

I remember one being trapped in the car, and we couldn't get it out, with us in the car, all the way down the 605 freeway. You can imagine what that was with the loud buzz and threatening .

http://www.nfi.org.za/inverts/BIG12/xylocopa.jpg

It's the giant Carpenter Bee.....and they are huge, and loud.

But they look scarier than they actually are.

During the Winter, they burrow into pieces of wood. That's why wood developes holes in it. And, especially old pieces of wood lying around. Don't keep any strips of wood in a darkened garage!

Quote Originally Posted by All Aglow
    You might email someone and make this observation to them, I'm not sure who you let know for DCA. Of course, they tend to change landscaping a lot at DL so they could be gone by now. But you would think, with so many people allergic to bee stings, they'd want to know and fix this.
    my mother is highly allergic to bees...she has to give herself a shot and take some pills then get to the hospital ASAP or she will die within an hour or less....she was nervous around the bees....but they didn't bother her.

Quote Originally Posted by Pisces
    http://www.nfi.org.za/inverts/BIG12/xylocopa.jpg

It's the giant Carpenter Bee.....and they are huge, and loud.

But they look scarier than they actually are.

During the Winter, they burrow into pieces of wood. That's why wood developes holes in it. And, especially old pieces of wood lying around. Don't keep any strips of wood in a darkened garage!
    I saw one of those in the hub also. We call them bumble bees..

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe
    my mother is highly allergic to bees...she has to give herself a shot and take some pills then get to the hospital ASAP or she will die within an hour or less....she was nervous around the bees....but they didn't bother her.
    OH YEA!!! I forgot she was scoping out out little buzzy friends, but she certainly wasnt hysterical or anything about leaving the hub. It must of been the magic that is me

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12