Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

•   
    • Astigmatic

Blog Entries

Question Tripods at the Resort

I was wondering if tripods were allowed in the parks. I would like to take some photos using one, but wasn't sure if they were concerned about commercial use of images or me using the tripod as a weapon. Has anyone brought one in?

• Huh?

Re: Tripods at the Resort

I've never heard of any problems... many photographers do it.

If for some reason you can't, trash cans make decent tripods.
    -Tim

• See you there!

Quote Originally Posted by Aristocat
    I was wondering if tripods were allowed in the parks. I would like to take some photos using one, but wasn't sure if they were concerned about commercial use of images or me using the tripod as a weapon. Has anyone brought one in?
    I assume that tripods are allowed. I take my mono-pod frequently and no one even questions it.

I once saw a family with a big, (I mean big, big Tipod-zilla big) tripod. I asked them if they had been quesitoned about their tripod, and they said no, that no one even asked about it. They said that the reason they had the tripod was they wanted photo the Fireworks and thought the tripod would allow for longer exposeure times and better photos.

I have also seen several tourists, (both in the suited men's groups and individual tourists) with smaller tripods (the kind that wouldn't be too bad to carry all day) and I assume they also had no real questins or problems getting the tripod into DL.

Just recenlty I saw someone with a smaller tripod taking closeup photos of all the small statues in the Hub.

I do not know the official policy, but these are some of my recent experiences.

I'm not sure Disney is too worried about the taking of photos, and then using for commerical puropses as they have a whole team of lawyers ready to pounce after the fact. I believe they would rather treat everyone as tourists or fans until they either decalre to Disney that they are profesional photographers taking photos for comerical purposes,or they find photos used for commerical purposes wihtout permission.

IANAL (I Am Not A Lawyer) so, please do not consider this as legal advice, just MY experiences and observations.

Jsut MHO, JMMV (again IANAL)

CU@DL

Andy
    Last edited by CUatDL; 03-17-2006 at 08:54 AM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Gumball Rally Volunteer!

I'd like to know when they started doing that, because last year when I took my tripod with me they stopped me at the security checkpoint and wouldn't let me in with it. I had to go and put it in a locker.

Now, I know you can bring them in if you're with a group, like my daughters school orchestra, and they're performing in the park.
    Happy Anniversary, MiceChat!

• Senior Minion

I've been taking my tripod(s) into the park repeatedly, over multiple years. No one has ever said anything to me.

I've gotten some nice shots, too, especially fireworks and MSEP. One of my goals is to get in early enough and do some shots from Town Square so I can stitch some panoramics of the area.

The problem I keep having is what to do with the tripod the rest of the day. It doesn't fit in the lockers inside the park, and the last time, I just wound up putting it in a really large beach bag and carrying it around. It was kind of a pain on BTMRR.

• Solar Flare Foamer

Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States

This was many years ago, long before 911, so it may not be the case anymore. But I know that when Japan has it's vacation season and there are hundreds of Japanese in the Disney Theme Parks you'd see loads of camera equipmet. (No that's not just a stereotype. The Japanese really do love to take pictures. They ain't playing either.) Everything from tripods, to some really expensive looking stuff I wouldn't take to my family reunion much less to a theme park. I saw rolling suitcases carrying this stuff. Now like I said, this was before 911 and they may have gotten stricter since then. But if you can bring a 90 pound stroller with tank treads in the park I don't see why they wouldn't allow, what is essentially, a bunch of sticks. I don't think anyone could go on a tripod weilding rampage, and if they did they would probably be gunned down by the Mickey Police. You just wouldn't see it.

• Rock Star Minion

I think there might be rules about tripods. Darkbeer might know best.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by FrumiousBoojum
    I've never heard of any problems... many photographers do it.

If for some reason you can't, trash cans make decent tripods.
    As long as it's not Push.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

There was a short period of time, when some gate checkers decided to try and stop allowing them in, for awhile there was a 12 inch rule.

But repeated questioning, and confirmation from Security that tripods are OK, the enforcement stopped, and I haven't heard of any problems lately.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

•   
    • Astigmatic

Blog Entries

I think I'll give the Resort a call, since I have some other questions to ask. I'll let you know what they say.

• See you there!

Quote Originally Posted by Aristocat
    I think I'll give the Resort a call, since I have some other questions to ask. I'll let you know what they say.
    Be sure to let us know the "Official Line" when you find out.

CU@DL

Andy

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

... and here I thought this thread was going to be about three-legged seeing eye dogs.

• Who's your DaddyB?

I'm telling ya... tripods are OK. As Darkbeer and I (and several others on other boards) experienced, there was a mysterious "no tripod" rule for about a month and a half in early '05. Then they had a 12" rule or some such sillyness.

I love to recount the time I went through the security checkpoint and some teenaged castmember saw my tripod (9") in my bag and yelled out "I HAVE A TRIPOD HERE!", like it was a gun or something!

I wrote a VERY long complaint at City Hall, and shortly thereafter the "rule' was abolished. I'm not saying it was my letter that got things cleared up, but it sure felt good to see the change happen after spending 15 minutes at city hall writing what felt like a short essay. I, along with Darkbeer, think that it was less a rule, and more a ad-hoc decision made by security check people. Somehow the rumor got started that they were not allowed, and it kinda' stuck around with some of the checkpoint charlies and charlene's. Not everyone disallowed them, and if you were able to get yours through the checkpoint(either by good luck in choosing the right person to search your bag, or by hiding it under enough clothes) NO ONE stopped you after. Not at the Turnstiles, and not any security guard. They were completely unaware of any 'rule'.

I would say it's been well over a year since they gave anyone any trouble over tripods... it was WELL before May 5th I know that.

This whole thing may have stemmed from the rule that there is no professional camera or video equipment allowed by park guests, unless you have media clearance through Disney first. This means things like serious lighting, or sun reflectors, camera booms, rolling dollys on tracks, etc. Some folks think that tripods are 'professional equipment'. Obviously, they're not.

I have a professional camera bag now as I've taken to bringing TWO cameras to the park (and several lenses), and they always check the zippered tripod pocket and they always see it. No one says anything to me. THIS INCLUDES THIS PAST WEDNESDAY.
    ---------------------------------------------

a walk around the park... Star Tours, Nemo, Fantasyland, Frontierland, DCA... and more!

• Basking in birthday love

Do note that if you pull out your gargantuan (i.e. takes up the space of 2-3 people) tripod during a very busy parade, the GC folks may ask you to take it down so we can accommodate as many guests as possible who want to watch. I've only seen it happen once, but I've been in on consultations a few times where we've debated whether a tripod is too big to remain up.

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

•   
    • Astigmatic

Blog Entries

Got the official word...tripods are okay. As long as they can be 'contained'. The woman I spoke to said as long as I'm not poking people with it, a tripod would be fine. And here I thought it could do double duty as a stroller repellant. Oh, well.
    And for those who were wondering ix-nay on the three-legged, blind dogs. Security makes you put them in a locker.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast