Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Sock Puppet

Re: Does Anyone Remember This Attraction.....

ahhhh yes, "GIGI"

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Experiment626
    When did they take this down? I'm remembering Circle Vision (that's where Buzz Lightyear is now, correct?) and they had phones and stuff...but I was born in '83 so I'm not sure if I'm thinking of something else...
    You are thinking correctly. I remember it as America the Beautiful in the 70's (at one time it was sponsored by PSA Airlines)and then they changed it to American Journeys with a new movie, somtime in the 80's. During that time they also had the Wonders of China movie, but rarely. When the new Tomorrowland was built, they used the building as a que area for the Rocket Rods attraction, with a vintage movie hosted by Walt about transportation in the future. Now it is the Buzz Lightyear attraction.

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

Quote Originally Posted by BULLWHIP GRIFFIN
    You are thinking correctly. I remember it as America the Beautiful in the 70's (at one time it was sponsored by PSA Airlines)and then they changed it to American Journeys with a new movie, somtime in the 80's. During that time they also had the Wonders of China movie, but rarely. When the new Tomorrowland was built, they used the building as a que area for the Rocket Rods attraction, with a vintage movie hosted by Walt about transportation in the future. Now it is the Buzz Lightyear attraction.
    Ahh I gotcha now. Thanks!

• D'LAND BIRTH YEAR BABY

Wow I loved the character phones as a small child, after having to stand thru America the Beautiful ( hell for small child wanting to ride rides, soreley missed by me now) I couldnt wait to exit and pick up a character phone it was a so much fun .

• Reaver of Souls

I loved those "futurstic" phone booths! It was always cool in there, and was a nice place to go for a few minutes on a hot day...
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

America the Beautiful in Circle Vision ran from 1967 to 1983, sponsored by AT&T (with host company Pacific Bell) but I think they stopped sponsoring due to the Bell System Divestiture. But when American Journeys and Wonders of China was going to open 1984, PSA stepped up to the plate and became the Official Airline of Disneyland (Eastern was the Official Airline of WDW from 1971-1987) and PSA stuck around until it was bought out by USAir (US Airways) in 1988. So Delta came around in 1989 and took over sponsorship of Circle Vision from 1989 until 1996 (the same time it sposnored Delta Dreamflight at WDW) and was the official airline of DL and WDW. So Circle Vision stuck around until 1997 but did show America the Beautiful for the last year.

Last edited by pancakesaregood; 03-17-2006 at 06:42 PM.

• Sock Puppet

Thanks for all the specific info on this great attraction.

• And, THEN she said...

I remember the character phones (I always had to go and listen to mickey and goofy) as well as america the beautiful..used to get all rubber legged during the fire engine scenes LOL

and I too used to be entertained by the speaker phones...those were the ones I used to call everybody I could after winning the firebird during the 35th anniversary giveaways...

and I remember america sings..it used to suck tho during the class field trips that took you to america sings and the Lincoln attraction..and THAT WAS IT!! I always thought of just running off and doing pirates "just once"

• And, THEN she said...

Here is another memory:

Does anyone remember the 2 shooting galleries, one was located in Frontierland and the other was in Adventureland and they used actual pellets. I remember cast members would fill up your rifles with the pellets and then you would pay them for it. They were pretty loud and noisy too.
    I used to LOVE the shooting galleries! I wasnt very good and my dad always beat my score LOL

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

and I remember america sings..it used to suck tho during the class field trips that took you to america sings and the Lincoln attraction..and THAT WAS IT!! I always thought of just running off and doing pirates "just once"
    I LOVED America Sings! I only got to see it in 1986 bit I remember going on it several times that day. I'm a major sucker for AA's like that.

Yeah - the phone booths were great. We would call Ohio sometimes with our entire family in the booth. Funny to think how fun that was for a kid.

I actually have a few of those calls in mp3 format somewhere. Maybe I can try and dig them up for you. I know I have one of the 7 dwarfs talking.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Our family tradition was getting in a Chatterbox and calling Grandma and Grandpa, and telling them what a great day we were having...

The 'Dial A Character' system was simple enough for AT&T to build - they used standard recorders used for messages ("The number you have dialed is not in service...") and set them up with the character messages on them.

Do you want a Chatterbox at home? A speakerphone that actually sounds good? Search for "Precision Components Inc. PC-4A Speakerphone." I have two in service, and parts for one or two more - they're around here somewhere...

Then again, I'm still running 1960's Tech 1A2 Keyphone sets at home. 5-lines and a red HOLD button - If it ain't broke...

(And believe you me, we have tried. You have to arrange for an earthquake to drop a bookcase on a 5-line 'Touch-A-Matic 32' auto-dialer set to kill it and then Western Electric rebuilt it for $50-ish. Big problem being if we break them, what can I replace them with?)

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Pull your "Magic" finger?

Brings back memories of my 1977 visit. Actually the phones were one of the few things this then 8 year old remembered. And wasn't Innerspace directly across the way from the phones?

• Sock Puppet

yes, Innerspace was across the way from where the phones were. I miss that attraction too and listening to the song, Miracles from Molecules.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12