• white and nerdy

Disney for the Deaf

On the next trip to Disneyland I will be with a deaf individual. He LOVES theme parks but has never been to Disneyland. I've seen the list of services they give to Deaf people and I don't think that most of them are worth it. the $100 palm pilot deal only has a few rides available. Everything else is easy I guess. You just tell the individual attraction CMs that you need CC on the pre show and they do it...

But then there is the paper, pencil, and flashlight method. Apparently they give you a notebook that has the words to the attractions with a flashlight to read it on the ride and a pencil to.. I guess... mark what you've seen.

So... I want to know if anyone here is deaf or hard of hearing or has been to the parks with someone who is. How were the services?

AND

What attractions do you think a lack of hearing would hurt the most?
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• Banned User

Re: Disney for the Deaf

The notepad is more for communication with CMs, most can't sign.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

When I go to work on Monday, I'll ask my coworkers--one is from Orange County, so she might know which rides and what not.

Look for the nametags, they'll say, "signed language." It's not really ASL, but they can sign. Of course, when I sign back to them, they aren't really quick on the receiving end.

I've been signing for over twenty years as a teacher and interpreter.

I'll see what I can do with my resources.

Peace out,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

What? Que? Sorry can you speak louder?

Again, I come in a ruin and perfectly nice topic.

Oh and to save my rep... From what I've heard (hehe) the Palm OS thingy is the best.

• Basking in birthday love

According to the CM ref guide, here's the complete captioning breakdown for the parks:

Handheld Captioning
    - Enchanted Tiki Room
    - "it's a small world"
    - Haunted Mansion
    - Pirates of the Caribbean
    - Autopia

Closed Captioning
    - Indiana Jones Adventure (I assume this is something they can turn on for the safety video, not the whole attraction)
    - Disneyland: The First 50 Magical Years (reflective)
    - "Honey, I Shrunk the Audience"
    - Innoventions
    - Space Mountain (captioning is on automatically, no need to ask)
    - Star Tours
    - It's Tough to be a Bug! (reflective)
    - Boudin Bakery
    - Golden Dreams (reflective)
    - Soarin' Over California
    - Disney Animation
    - Monsters, Inc. Mike and Sulley to the Rescue!
    - Muppet*Vision 3D
    - Playhouse Disney - Live on Stage!
    - The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror

Assistive Listening
    - Enchanted Tiki Room
    - Disneyland: The First 50 Magical Years
    - "Honey, I Shrunk the Audience"
    - Innoventions
    - It's Tough to be a Bug!
    - Golden Dreams
    - Disney Animation (available in the Drawn to Animation room)
    - Muppet*Vision 3D
    - Playhouse Disney - Live on Stage!
    (I actually have no idea how assistive listening works; given that my attraction apparently has it, that's probably something I should ask about...)

The biggest advice that I can give you about getting assistance for a deaf individual is to tell the CM at the attraction as soon as you get there. DO NOT wait until right as the show is about to begin, because then we're running around like mad to get you set up and to get started on time, which is not fun. Closed captioning appears directly on the screen; for reflective captioning, the words appear backwards on a display at the back of the auditorium, and you're set up with a reader board that reflects that display. (Note that it's reflective captioning that takes a while to set up, so definitely make sure that you give CMs at attractions that use it a heads up in advance.)

I hadn't realized that handheld captioning cost that much money, especially since it's used on attractions where the narration is pretty important. (Though its presence on Autopia just confuses me.) Perhaps it also works for shows (entertainment, not attractions)? Then I could see it being useful, as the live entertainment will probably be the most problematic without hearing. I also notice that none of the Fantasyland dark rides have any sort of captioning, so you might have to explain the storylines to your guest either before or after you ride, if there was anything that confused them.

Have fun, and let us know how it goes!

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

• Solar Flare Foamer

Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States

Thinking out loud: What would the hearing impared think about a set of goggles that scrolled the dialogue of rides and attractions across the bottom of the viewer in a manner similar to Closed Caption? I'm sure the technology exisits to make it happen. But would there be drawbacks to such a technology. Such as the guest's eyes having to focus back and forth between the far away image and the closer scroling text. Or is this something someone with hearing problems would be used to?

• white and nerdy

Thanks for all the help. Most of us in the group can sign quite well (two interpreters among us, and the rest are still pretty good) so I'm not worried about it, I was just wondering if anyone had any personal experience.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• Closed Account

If you are going when Fantasmic! is playing, you can request a live interpreter for the show. I did this once when with a deaf group. It was an awesome thing to watch, after seeing the regular fantasmic a million times.

• Hooterville, USA

Good topic. I just can't imagine DL without music in the background.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.