Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• DisneyGirl

Bad experience at DL Gate! Opinions please!

Last thursday, March 16th, I had a really bad experience entering disneyland Park at 7p.m. I would appreciate feedback as the experience "blew away" the happiness I normally expect when going to Disneyland.
    Here's What happened:
    Walking in from Downtown Disney, I am a woman in my 40's dressed simply and alone. I pass security easily and am walking towards the entry gate. Another woman is walking in-sinc with me and hurries ahead. She is wearing a yelloww 'Slicker" style jacket and beats me to the end of the line of the gate closest to my entrance. She turns, raises her arm and flashes her flashlight in my face shouting that the "line is closing, Move along!"
    This gal was straight out of a womens prison movie! It was shocking!!
    When I tried to merge to my right, the next line was winding around a monorail tower and very disorganized. I couldn't even find the end of the line!
    I decided to complain. A foolish act!! A "lead" barely out of high school & without the "good manners god gives a cat" responded, and basically refused to confront the female "Flashlight" lady, refused to take me to guest relations to complain, and accused me of "expecting" a special line for Preferred passholders!!!!He ran away claiming other obligations,so I was doubly insulted!!!
    What is up with the Disney Magic at the entrance? Do they discriminate against passholders?
    Why was I treated like an inmate instead of a guest?
    My pass gives me entrance to the park 365 days a year, my opinion should matter!!
    When I pointed out the disorder of the entrance line I was told "we don't do that".
    O.K I've been a passholder for 8 years and I am a Vendor to the park. This experience was different, and quite distinctly rude! Anyone have an idea what's going on?! Really makes me wonder.....

• no flash photography...

Re: Bad experience at DL Gate! Opinions please!

ummm...the CM's may be burnt out...IDK...on my last trip we were staying at the DL hotel and we had early entry. We went to the monorail at 8:45am and were told entry for early entry was over. I replied...ok..thank you...is the monorail working?...because they were not letting anyone up the stairs. she replied, "yes it is...UP AGAINST THE FENCE...have your bags ready for inspection!"...my mother commented on how they would be great working in a jail, btu not loud enough for them to hear. In the next 15 min. several guests walked up asking about early entry they were all treated in the same fashion. At one point they just yelled at the line in general to get back up against the fence and ready the bags. We were all in a straight line agaisnt the fence...maybe one child wasn't. I chalked it up to grouchy elderly women who may not have had there morining coffee...or maybe something happened earlier that I didn't see that put them in a bad mood...IDK...we just waited patiently, we ended up sitting in the front of the monorail and we forgot about the grouchy old ladies.....BTW they didn't know we were AP holders at that time we walked up...as far as they knew we were just typical guests of the hotel visiting for the first time....kind of scary, but it's seems to be happening alot lately....

• white and nerdy

There is much to be said for having thick skin and not letting two people ruin your day.

Yes, the Cast Members were out of line, and a complaint should have been made to City Hall, but did that ruin the magic of your day for you?

In the end, the happiness of a person is dependant of the person.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• DisneyGirl

Thank you for your replies! I did complain at City Hall, but felt my complaint would be ignored.
    Even if this treatment is common, those of us that cherish DL will not accept it!!!
    How sad to think this might have been someones 1st & only DL experience!
    BTW I was going in to admire the new garden plantings on Main Street. THE tULIPS AND dAFFODILS have been changed out to Rannuculus!!
    Most times I am the AP who power walks the park to enjoy the landscape!!!
    Still the most beautiful place on earth!

• Banned User

Jeebs..

I spent over a year yelling at people when i worked for the mouse, but it was always with P's and Q's. Like.. "Please, Keep moving forward and fill all of the space, Thank you!" and *booming PA voice* "SIT DOWN!!!" *person sits on ride* "Thank you.."

• A Pirate's life for me!

Who did the prison woman turn out to be?

Someone official with DL, a CM, or just some wacked out woman with a flashlight?

Sorry that you had to experience that. It sure doesn't sound right...

• Iron-Clad Allie

The DLR is obviously having a difficult time finding good help. Perhaps some of the rude new cast members recently worked at parks such as Magic "Tragic" Mountain and Snots Berry Farm.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Pick your battles.

You are going to make yourself miserable if you dwell on this.

Sometimes you have to go through the bad to get to the good. If that means fighting a war to get inside to the magic......only you can decide if that's worth it.

The magic begins inside the gates. I don't think it's meant to extend to the frenzy outside the gates---maybe that's how you can rationalize this.

You weren't injured, just offended. And, they probably aren't going to take that seriously. You'd have to come up with some bona fide injuries to get their attention.

The kind of thing that implies lawsuits, ahem. Did somebody threaten you, or assault? Did somebody frighten you?

Just being offended doesn't do it.

Everyone's offended these days.

BOTTOM LINE: You have two choices. Either shrug it off, or make like you will file a lawsuit.

It's an art to be able to gloss over things.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDeb
    I decided to complain. A foolish act!! A "lead" barely out of high school & without the "good manners god gives a cat" responded, and basically refused to confront the female "Flashlight" lady, refused to take me to guest relations to complain, and accused me of "expecting" a special line for Preferred passholders!!!!He ran away claiming other obligations,so I was doubly insulted!!!
    What is up with the Disney Magic at the entrance? Do they discriminate against passholders?
    How did they know you were a passholder?

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pisces
    Pick your battles.

The magic begins inside the gates. I don't think it's meant to extend to the frenzy outside the gates---

I must disagree. The "magic" treatment should begin as soon as you, as a guest of whatever type, set foot (or tires) on the property. There's a certain standard that's always been expected of CM's whether they work at in the parking lot, at the main gate, in the park, whatever.

CM's may be burnt out. There may be valid labor issues they have with the Company. No question about it. But when it comes to dealig with guests, CM's have always been expected to "leave it at the stage door" so to speak.

Yes, we are responsible for our own happiness, but that's no excuse for rude behavior, especially by a Disney CM. I used to be one. I guess the standards were higher back then.

Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Sshhh, being very quiet

I'm going to have to agree with others who have said something along the lines of just brush it off and don't dwell on it.

I know that I have found, going to the park alot, I've run into alot of rude CM's, more than if I went to Disneyland once a year. It happens. You just gotta take a breath and go ride something fun

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry
    I must disagree. The "magic" treatment should begin as soon as you, as a guest of whatever type, set foot (or tires) on the property. There's a certain standard that's always been expected of CM's whether they work at in the parking lot, at the main gate, in the park, whatever.

CM's may be burnt out. There may be valid labor issues they have with the Company. No question about it. But when it comes to dealig with guests, CM's have always been expected to "leave it at the stage door" so to speak.

Yes, we are responsible for our own happiness, but that's no excuse for rude behavior, especially by a Disney CM. I used to be one. I guess the standards were higher back then.

Barry
    CMs are a product of their environment. They aren't plucked from some rarified society. They have all the problems and quirks that anyone else living in our society has.

I've found them to be a little more polite than Knotts Berry Farm CMs. Which isn't saying much.

I always expect there to be quite a line and a zoo/frenzy to get in the gates. It sort of builds anticipation, and makes you feel like you achieved something if you have to walk through the fire, to get to paradise---so to speak.

Oh, there is a definite difference between inside-the-gates, and outside-the-gates....I've found.

The way things should be------ it's about the way things are. But, I too, wish we could return to polite society. Unfortunately those days are gone forever, and it's only going to get worse.

Every man for himself...herself, hisself....itself. It's all I can do to keep myself in line.....after that I don't have any energy to worry about how someone else acts.

I'm pretty independent, and self-reliant anyway, and just don't have too much to do with CMs when at the park. I'll read a map before asking a live human being for directions. I guess I have trust issues to begin with, and doubt I'd get the right advice. Or, I just wander and find things myself.

Quote Originally Posted by thejoshualee
    There is much to be said for having thick skin and not letting two people ruin your day.

Yes, the Cast Members were out of line, and a complaint should have been made to City Hall, but did that ruin the magic of your day for you?

In the end, the happiness of a person is dependant of the person.
    You are right to a certain extent, my fellow Utahn. Of course we should go into everything in life with a positive attitude, but it's not wrong to expect DLR and staff to do their part too. To get bare-bones technical about it, a trip to DL is nothing more than a business transaction. You pay a set fee and DLR provides a product. If you pay less than the set entrance fee, you don't get in the park. So if DLR doesn't meet it's obligations, shouldn't they be accountible in some way?

Granted, the 'product' DLR is producing cannot be specifically defined. But while I don't think the OP should lose sleep over this, I think it's ok- even somewhat healthy- to get a bit pissed over something like this. And I think it's just fine to discuss it here. I go to DL about once a year, and have for about 20 years. For whatever reason- be it the low wages, busy parks, bad working conditions- whatever; I have noticed a steady decline in customer service. Maybe complaining and discussing here indirectly puts pressure on TDA, and maybe that will help to change things. Of course that just be me being too optimistic.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .

If you're a vendor to the park, I would take it that you have some higher up connections that could possibly get your voice heard, or am I missing something. Sorry you had a bad experience, but if this is the first thing to finally hink you off at the park when you've had an AP for 8 years then I would call that pretty darn good luck.
    Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

• DisneyGirl

I was holding my pass in my hand as I was expecting to enter the park!
    The gal with the flashlght was a CM, "Maribeth". The less than helpful lead who responded was "Javier".
    Neither one seemed to be familiar with common curtesy.
    WHAT HAPPENED TO DISNEY UNIVERSITY and all the training not to offend???

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast